What's new

Boston Acoustic VR mains, surrounds? (1 Viewer)

Greg_sford

Agent
Real Name
Greg
Curious if anyone has put the BA VR1/2/3 in service, and what you have done for surrounds. General thoughts on the VRs welcome, of course...

Chris Grillo

Stunt Coordinator
Greg,
I also would like to hear from anyone with the VR 1,2or 3's . I can tell you that my VR12 is one of my fav. speakers in my set up! And I am going to buy one of the 3 speakers! i'm with Greg any input welcome!

Evan M.

Supporting Actor
I have a pair of Vr3's and absolutely love them. For the money I think they would be very hard to beat them. I have always been a Boston fan. I have an old pair of A70's that still sound excellent. Ugly as sin but damn they sound good :). Before the Vr3's I had a pair of Vr965's. Excellent speakers as well, just not as tight with the bass that I like. I currently have a Vrc AND a Vr920 center channel. I bought them both at the same time for great deals and will return one when I can make up my mind. The Vr920 is a lot more speaker than the Vrc but the Vrc is the "technical" match for my mains. Still not sure which way I want to go. Maybe you guys could offer me some advice. They both sound excellent. The VRC is more efficient and more in your face while the 920 is more laid back, can handle a lot more power and has more extension. I e-mailed Boston and they said the 920 will match fine with my fronts so that is good news for you Chris and your Vr12 since it is just about the same as my 920.
For surrounds I am using Boston Micro 90II's. These were from my old system 9000II. They are small yet very heavy duty for such a small speaker. They have the Lynfield tweeter. Another good option would be Bravo's or anything from the VR-M series but that would be costly.
Do not be concerned with the fact that the new Vr's have a different tweeter (VRH.O.) than older Vr tweeter's (Lynfield). They are both 1" anodized aluminum dome tweeters with AMD. The only difference is the VRH.O. is a little more efficient than the Lynfield. All you would need to do is just turn the level up on those speakers using the level adjustment on your receiver a bit to compensate. The sound is the same. The is from Boston Tech support....not me. After testing it out, they are right.
So to answer your question ANY surround with the Lynfield Aluminum tweeter will do just fine. All Vr and VR-M speakers have that tweeter so you do have options. I did ask Boston if they will be releasing a surround with the VRH.O. tweeter and they said nothing is in the works as of yet. The new Vr speakers are great, neutral and tight speakers. They are just the right amount of punch to keep you on your toes too.(If that makes sence:)) If I can be of any more assistance let me know. There are not a lot of us new Vr people around here. I hope you guys get them so I am not the only one!!!!;)

Jesse Sharrow

Supporting Actor
Well I have a pair of Boston VR-950's with the lynnfield tweeter. I love them. Very smooth sounding speakers. Proably the best I have heard for the price. But Im going to get the matching VR-C center, and like bravo's or something little for surrounds. I am acctually using some older sony towers for now. But I havnt even hooked them up yet. Im afraid to. :D

Simon Brooke

Stunt Coordinator
hi guys
i work for the agents of boston in south africa

i have found the new vr's to be nothing short of amazing and a big step up from the previous line, what we have done for surrounds when we have sold them to our dealers is to try and sell them with CR65's, until a proper vr surround comes out.

also you can try and get hold of some old vrs micro's.
i also love the styling of the new vr's, they look very similar to the vrm's.

the vr's do need a bit of time to warm up though, it seems the drivers sounded very tight when we hooked them up. so expect them to improve

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks