What's new

Boston Acoustic AVP7 and A7200 Info (1 Viewer)

JustinJ

Auditioning
I was just wondering if anyone has heard one of these setups. Or even the AVR7120? I've always been a fan of the car and home speakers. I read this review but can't find anymore information. Onecall has the preamp and amp for 50% off so I could get the combo for $2k. They also have the receiver for $1k instead of $3k. However I'm wondering why such a new setup is on clearance. If they are about to release something new I could see it but that seems a bit fast. Thanks for your input!

JustinJ

Auditioning
Well thanks to the overwhelming response...I decided to pick up the BA AVR7120 and a set of VR3's. I have always loved BA's speakers so that was an easy choice. I'll take a chance on the reciever. I figure if I need more power out of it I can add the Power amp. I will type up a review once I get it and play it in a side by side with my current setup.

Onkyo DS676
Jensen Fronts (bought in HS ;-) )
Polk CS-245 Center
Polk TC615i in-wall rears (Love these speakers)
Sound Vision Sub (not sure what model)

vs

BA AVR7120
VR3 Front's(Cherry)
and the rest will be the same. I plan on ABing the existing system with the VR3's and the Jensen's to see how big a difference. Then I will AB the speakers with the BA. I might also pickup the VRC for a better match with the center. I really like the Polk though I have no complaints.

scott>c

Second Unit
I have the avr 7120 and its not bad. Let me know what u think. I got mine about 6 months ago as a demo unit. I don`t have the calibration mic. and Boston`s customer support absolutely sucks!!! They didn`t have any and never got back to me. I heard they just got sold so thats why the receivers might be clearing out.

JustinJ

Auditioning
Well so far I love it. The remote is nice but takes some getting used to. The sound is great. Using the mic to set everything up is definitely a nice feature. I had to tweaked some things but otherwise it makes getting everything dialed in quick. What speakers do you have your's hooked to?

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
I think the Boston 7100 and 7120 are re-badged Sherwood Newcastle 865 and 965 avr's. If you want more info do a search. There has been a few threads on the Newcastles. The backs of the 7120 and 965 look the same but I like the looks of the front of the 7120 much better. That's a heck-uva deal at OneCall.

scott>c

Second Unit
Yeah Gene I think u`r correct on that. I believe Sherwood makes stuff for other companies too. I really like their stuff. I have the Sherwood Newcastle sd-860 dvd player and that thing rocks also. Justin I`m running Klipsch Legends (Klf-c7, Klf20`s, and ksp6`s) On mine. I`m also using a Carver amp so the sherwood`s only doing my 4 rear channels. I was doing a 9.2 system for awhile.

JustinJ

Auditioning
Thanks Gene I was definitely having issues finding information on these. I'll check out the Newcastles. Yeah Onecall is giving them away. I was going to buy the preamp and the A7200 but they dropped the preamp before I could get to it. They were each 1k$. They still sell the amp so I might pick that up and just use the 7120 as a preamp.

Scott how do you like the Klipsch? They are really nice speakers I would probably have gone with a set of them if I didn't like the Boston's so much.

scott>c

Second Unit
I absolutely love the Legends. I`ve also owned Epics but didn`t like em as much. Though the Kv4 is an awesome center. I`ve had many speakers, Jbl, Axiom, Ascend acoustics, and I now have the Svs 5.0 package also. I love changing things up in my second set up but my Legends are definately keepers in my main setup. I`ll tell u Justin I wish I could get a hold of that cailbration mic. Did it work well for U??

JustinJ

Auditioning
It worked well enough. I had the same issue that the main review I read had. It identified my center as large and really it's not. Glad to hear about the klipsch I might have to look at them harder next time. You could probably order the mic from Boston. I'm not sure what they would charge though. All of the mic stuff can be setup manually though. I'm not sure you would get much more out of it than you are currently.

scott>c

Second Unit
Yeah I`ve been doing it manually. Bostons tech support just plain stinks. I won`t bother with them again.

JustinJ

Auditioning
It's not very heavy I could probably let you try it out to see what it does. It comes in a little box with like 50' of cord.

scott>c

Second Unit
Too bad u`r not a lil closer. Its always cool to see other peoples set ups. From what Boston told me they had two versions of the calibration mic. I don`t know what version mine is but more than likely its the older version. Justin have u noticed any bugs in your receiver??

JustinJ

Auditioning
Nothing yet. I'm fairly pleased with some of the macro's. It's definitely harder to setup than my Harmony was. It also does not work with my harmony. The worst thing I have noticed so far is the IR signal seems weak. I need to try new batteries and see if they were just weak from the start.

scott>c

Second Unit
Yeah I tried to use a Harmony also with the same results. I`ve never programmed the remote, I`ll have to check Bostons website for the codes. I`ve just been using the cable remote for everything else.

JustinJ

Auditioning
It's working well if you use the learn feature. I also like the ability to change the LCD soft buttons. I wish you could add pages though. I'm also wondering what to do about my Sony 400disc DVD changer. I might keep the Harmony for it's media button. I'd rather not have to create a spreadsheet with all the disc locations of my DVD's.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks