What's new

Bose's new 1000 dollar DVD player system (1 Viewer)

Ken Situ

Stunt Coordinator
No, it will never be as good as a genuine component connection regardless of what Boss said.
I don't understand how they (Bose) can get away with so many lies and so much misrepresentation. Isn't misrepresentation illegal?

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
At the risk being forever a pariah, I don't see what the big deal. It's a very compact system, with extremely simple setup. I'd bet that the typical consumer would think it sounds fine. It's also unobtrusive, doesn't require running wires around the room, and is an all-in-one system.
For someone who wants to watch DVDs, but doesn't want to spend the time researching, shopping, system building (speakers, receiver, sub, DVD, wire) this will do the trick. It will also be much easier to set up (modern receivers are actually pretty complicated, even to the tech-savvy.)
I've no doubt it's over-priced for just the hardware and I wouldn't buy it, but I can see how some people would find it a good match for their needs & desires.
As for Bose "lies", it's just marketing, same as nearly every other company, stereo or otherwise. Every receiver promises ultra-clear sound, thunderous bass, high-current amps, and patented VoodooTech sound processors.

Jacob_St

Second Unit
In my opinion a lie is a lie. Calling it "just marketing" doesn't sway me. No one should be allowed to make untrue statements about their products. It is very sad that they do.

MikeH1

Screenwriter
Real Name
Billy
Now, correct me if I'm wrong on this but does Bose use their own 5.1 "technology" on the lifestyle 50 through to the lifestyle 8? Not once does the website mention Dolby Digital or DTS. I understand that the Bose system under reveiw here is a "2 speaker simulated experience" but how about that costly Lifestyle 50 system?
------------------
you lose it here and your in a world of hurt...

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
No one should be allowed to make untrue statements about their products.
In that case, all marketing would have to cease -- or does your beer land in hot tubs with sexy bikini models, your cleaning products remove all stains perfectly, effortlessly, your new car change your entire view on life, etc.?
The posted Bose marketing drivel is not factual claims, but descriptive statements open to interpretation. One guy's sonic delight is an audiophile's dog barking. I may not agree with their ads, but I don't see them "lying" (no more than any other corporate advertisement).

MikeH1

Screenwriter
Real Name
Billy
DaveF I'm really hoping someone answers my last enquiry with a "yes, bose does use discrete 5 channel Dolby digital or DTS" for a true audio expierence.
Because if they don't, and they way they word it to suck J6P in, $3499.00 is a little steep to find out one day your going to have to upgrade almost the entire system to achieve. A slight difference between this and a bottle of spic'n'span or a case of coors light. :)
------------------
you lose it here and your in a world of hurt...
[Edited last by Michael Hein on October 01, 2001 at 06:30 PM]

Shane Acker

Agent
Here and all this time we've been buying expensive speakers, thunderous subwoofers, progressive scan DVD players, and receivers with more bells and whistles and Bose comes along and does everything in just 4 seperate components.
I feel cheated.
------------------
Shane Acker
My Home Theater EquipmentList

Jacob_St

Second Unit
DaveF, I guess you and I will have to agree to disagree about what a lie is. You and I will never see eye to eye on this subject.

Dave Dahl

Stunt Coordinator
Hi guys,
I have actually seen this thing in action. It's the Bose
3-2-1 system and it consists of a DVD player, acoustimas module and two small speakers. Each speaker is build with two drivers, one facing the listener and one being used to bounce sound off the side wall to help create a sense of surround sound. The interesting part is that there are two different musical signals being fed into each speaker. So that each driver has its own signal to play. In theory a discrete surround sound effect could be produced by this type of setup.
In practice I would say that it is not as good as having speakers around the listener. With that in mind it is important to note that I really did hear discrete surround information from the rear right. It was kind of uncanny.
As for the issue of component video inputs the adapted that the representative talked about that bridges the s-video and composite connections delievers a true component video output. Not just an imitation of one.
Personally, I would consider this for a bedroom system. The setup is extremely easy and for the money provides a (without being too critical) nice sound for the average motion picture.
Dave

Sean M

Stunt Coordinator
This little module uses the same basic principles of psychoacoustics that simulate surround has been using for years. There's nothing revolutionary about it. It actually looks, from their diagram, like their using Q sound or something similar. Of course, this only works for one person, seated in exactly the right spot with their head at just the right angle... sometimes. Which is the big downfall of psychoacoustic simulations of multichannel surround.
My big gripe about this thing is that it's priced at LEAST four times more than it should cost. Maybe for $300-$400 it might be a good idea for a second room/bedroom system, but at $1000, they are trying to sell this as a main system to people who don't know any better. I would hope that any salesman that has to sell this crap (it'll be in Best Buy and Circuit in a week) will tell the prospective customer that they are trading simplicity for quality and being overcharged for it (who'm I kidding, practically no one's that honest).
Bose - Better sound through marketing.
------------------
"Experience is the one thing you can't get for nothing." - Oscar Wilde

Jacob_St

Second Unit
Dave I asked the Bose rep if the adapter pluged into the S-video connection and he said no. He told me it only plugs into the composite connection.

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
Actually,the original Acoustimas module from the
AM series got surprisingly good test figures by Tom Nousaine.
Maybe TV of SVS can post those figures?
------------------
"You Hungarians always disagree"

Dave Dahl

Stunt Coordinator
Sean,
I think you misunderstand what I am saying. There are four seperate signals being fed into the two speaker housings. Each housing contains two drivers with each receiving its own signal. There is no mumbo jumbo being performed to give the impression that there is a surround channel. There is actually a surround channel housed in the same enclosure as the main channels.
Dave

RyanDinan

Stunt Coordinator
I see how their component adapter could *work* - but I dont see how it would preserve the extra color resolution offered by DVD...
If it plugs into the composite output, the adapter must first separate the Y/C (with whatever comb filter they use - which is probably cheap), then create color difference signals - Which would be plauged with all the artifacts of the original composite feed - like dot crawl, rainbow moire, etc.....Not to mention, the lower color resolution....Which is the whole point of component connections in the first place. I dont think Bose knows what they're talking about...
For $1000, you'd think they'd offer a REAL component connection. What a bunch of crooks.
-Ryan Dinan
------------------
Link Removed

Jacob_St

Second Unit
I went ahead and listened to this system yesterday. I didn't hear any sound from the rear but just from upfront. The guy who demo'd it for me said you must expect some sacrifice in sound quality to gain simplicity. After looking and listening to this system I wouldn't pay more than 350 for it. It definitely is easy to hook up but that doesn't justify the 600+ tarriff that Bose is adding to the price tag. If anything the lack of components should make for a lower cost not a higher one. I also think the appearance and materials are very cheap . If I didn't know what this thing was I'd have assumed it was an overdone clock radio. That's just my opinion of course. I'm sure there are those that feel this system is right up their alley.

MichelA

Auditioning
I was at Circuit City last night and listened to this system. We listened to a regular CD and a DVD with surround effects. To me the music sounded good. The DVD sounded good but I certainly did not have the feeling of being surrounded by sound.
We then went to Good Guys and listened to the Denon all in one HT 700DV and both, my wife and I, felt that this system was way better than the BOSE. The price is exactly the same.
We also listened to the BOSE LS-28 ($2.5 k) and we still liked better the Denon.

The newer high-end Bose systems (e.g., Lifestyle 30 II, Lifestyle 50, etc.) do have discrete 5.1 channel Dolby Digital decoders. They also have Bose's "simulated" 5.1 channel (which, I think, is a DSP that will simulate 5.1 channel sound from a mono or stereo source). Bose does not decode DTS. They added the Dolby Digital functionality a year or two ago. They must have a weird license agreement because they do not do the DD promotion or logo in the wat that most licensees do.
>>I'm really hoping someone answers my last enquiry with a "yes, bose does use
>>discrete 5 channel Dolby digital or DTS" for a true audio expierence.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Playing the contrarian...
It's to be expected that everyone here is put off by this Bose system. But also, people are the ones who seek out the highest quality components, then tweak them for the optimum performance. We are not the average consumer in this particular market.
But if, say, my grandparents wanted a DVD system, I might suggest this type of Bose system. It looks like it's idiot-proof, doesn't require any speaker setup, only has a few cables to plug in, has a single remote, will be as good as anything they've had before, and requires no effort on my part to set it up and troubleshoot.
From a different perspective, I'm looking for a new CD-Clock radio and not finding what I want. I find I get any two of the three: decent sound, good design, and large/visible clock. This is from checking four stores, up to about $150. A friend has the Bose WaveRadio. It is *exactly* what I want. It has good sound, good clock, and good interface. In terms of overall design, nothing else comes close that I've seen. But it's, what?, $500. I'm still looking for the perfect sub-$100 clock radio, but for now, I think Bose has got the best design. I can't afford it, but I can see people who want nothing less than the best feature combination, would buy the Bose.
The Bose 3-2-1 HT setup may not be high-end equipment, but it might be the ideal design for a certain group of people, regardless of Bose marketing hype.
(BTW, if you can recommend a Bose waveradio type device that costs

Kevin P

Screenwriter
Just try the mother scene from The Haunting or the ice crystal scene from Titan A.E.
If someone actually tries this, I suggest that a video camera be set up so we can witness the Acoustimass fly apart under the stress.
wink.gif

Also, did you notice that it's not just Acoustimass, it's "our improved Acoustimass module with improved proprietary bass technology. Enjoy the thunderous effects of pure, deep bass without audible distortion." Of course, they could improve it and it would still sound like a boom box encased in cement. :)
Surround speakers are supposed to be BESIDE and/or BEHIND you, not in the same enclosure as the mains. And where's the center?
KJP

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks