BOSE wave radio ???

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Greg Kolinski, Nov 10, 2002.

1. Greg Kolinski

Greg Kolinski Second Unit

Just got the 1 millionth flyer in the mail on this thing[​IMG] (no, I'm not even thinking about it)[​IMG] Just wondering,...as usualy lots have big promises.No price but "payments"are mentioned,so I assume its rather high in price.What do they use for speakers in these things?? Wattage??How can they even make these sound promises with a unit that might at best have a couple of 5 in speakers.I 'm just curious,sine I see these adds all over.
    thanks
    Greg Kolinski

2. Brian Ruth

Brian Ruth Supporting Actor

Greg -- from what I understand, Bose claims they stick a long tube, 'folded up' into the wave radio. This supposedly mimics any wind instrument with regards to effort (input) versus sound (output). I'd be interested to hear what others have to say about this thing.
    And multiply the payments by 12... that SHOULD be the price. [​IMG]

3. John F. Palacio

John F. Palacio Supporting Actor

You can print whatever you want and the paper will hold it.

I have listened to this unit (friends house) and it sounds pretty mundane. I think it sells for about $500.

4. Brett DiMichele

Brett DiMichele Producer

Bose uses I believe 3 drivers in the Wave Radio, 2 drivers
    provide the mids and highs (LOL) and are most likely a set
    of Paper/Hemp 3" or 3.5" and then they use a slightly
    larger driver mated to the "Acoustic Wave Guide" (Scientific
    terminology for a port..) and this produces the lower freq
    spectrum.

It doesn't go that low, though most will never know how low
    it goes considering Bose doesn't provide any Freq Resp specs
    at all..

5. James Edward

James Edward Supporting Actor

A great alternative to the Bose Wave is the Cambridge Soundworks Model 88 table radio. You can't beat it for the kitchen or bedroom, and the price is right. I believe it was made to compete with the Wave radio, but costs significantly less. You can pick it up for 125- 199 dollars
    online and at JandR.
    I have two in my home, and am always complimented on how they sound.

6. Steve_Ma

Steve_Ma Second Unit

I just heard the wave radio this weekend. It sounds great...for a clock radio. But I would never pay $400 to $500 for this thing. Love or hate Bose, there is no denying that they have a marketing machine that is top notch.

7. Meaux

Meaux Stunt Coordinator

I read somewhere (stereophile?) that the Bose didn't sound any better than a GE Superadio ($39.95) so I bought the GE and although it dosen't have a CD player, the AM section is great. It does have a 6" woofer and a tweeter, sounds fine to me so I'm gettin another one.

8. STLMIKE

STLMIKE Stunt Coordinator

I have both a Model 88 and a Wave Radio CD. The Model 88 is in my bedroom and the Bose is in my office. The Model 88 sounds better than the Bose, and I would have bought a second one of those, but I had some quality issues with it.

Both sound very good for what they are. Obviously, neither is going to be satisfactory for any kind of home theater application, but especially for an office this type of unit can discretely provide upgraded sound.

Mike