Bose vs ???

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Nick_NMK, Jan 6, 2002.

1. Nick_NMK

Nick_NMK Auditioning

Okay, I'm brand new here, and have read many of the comments regarding Bose surround sound systems. I am by no means an audophile, nor do I want to spend big bucks for better sound. But I would love to buy something in the $1000-$1500 range, less expensive is okay also.

I do need DVD and CD, and small speakers are better (for me).

What attracted me to the Bose system is the small compact size, both of the central unit and the speakers. I'm open to all suggestions, including where to shop. I live in the Madison, WI area.

Thanks,

Nick

2. Jeff_Krueger

Jeff_Krueger Stunt Coordinator

In my limited experience I've found the JBL NSP-1 system to be quite nice for it's size/price since it can be found for $299 shipped from J&R music world. Which would still leave a pretty good amount of your budget left for a Sub and Reciever and DVD/CD player. Which would surely stomp any offerings from Bose.

3. Brett DiMichele

Brett DiMichele Producer

Acoustic Research HC6 speaker package (Sub, 4 satelites,1 center channel)

As for a Receiver you could pick any of the affordably priced

offerings from Yamaha, Dennon, Onkyo, Kenwood or Sony

Add an Interlaced DVD Player (If you don't have an HDTV set)

and you will have a much better sounding system than anything

Bose has to offer and it will have a footprint nearly as small

as the Bose systems. Even though the AR HC6 cabinents are not

as small as Bose's cubes, The HC6's will not only sound better

but you will also want to proudly display thier hand rubber

black piano laquer finish!

Or as the other poster mentioned you could also check out

the JBL's and there are many other companies that offer smaller

sized satelites that hardly intrude into your living space.

Not to sound rude but if you want something "idiot proof"

then you will have to buy Bose.. Any true component system

will be complicated at first to set up.. Bose prides themselves

at making systems for the J6P (Joe Six Pack) that anyone can

use.

I feel that with time and dedication the more complicated

system will most definatly yeild better results.

The choice is yours.

4. Jason P. Brett

Nick, one of my friends bought a Kenwood "home theater in a box" system about a year ago. I wouldn't describe the sound as "amazing" or anything like that, but it does sound better than any $450 system has a right to. The receiver that comes packaged with the system is a real gem (for the money); it's almost like getting the speakers for free. That's the beauty of a system like that: you can be up and running with 5 channel surround sound right now, and upgrade to better speakers later on if you want to. If I was in the market for a new system and didn't want to spend a lot, I'd probably get something like that and put what I'd saved not buying the Bose system towards some better speakers later on. One down-side in your situation: the main speakers in my buddy's system are kind of big and ugly.

Jason

5. Kevin Webb

Kevin Webb Agent

If you have a Best Buy nearby, check out the JBL Cinema Pro-Pak system. 5 speakers, 8" sub, 5-disk DVD player, and a reciever that is just a rebranded Harman Kardon AVR-110 (I think). Here is the link: JBL Cinema Pro Pak
    Cost: $899.50
    Cheaper than any comparable system that you could get from Bose and it will sound better.
    Before you buy a Bose system, ask yourself three questions:
    1.) Why are they always separated from the other speakers and audio systems?
    2.) Why is the distance between the front and rear speakers in their "home theater" setup about 5', when most rooms will require 10' +?
    3.) Why is the Bose system always 50-100% louder than the other demo systems?
    I'm sure that the sales person won't know either [​IMG]
    Kevin
    P.S. Whatever you do, for the love of all that is good and holy DO NOT BUY THAT 3-2-1 ABOMINATION. People who buy that setup are the same people who are asking Blockbuster why can't they carry DVD's that "fill the whole screen"? (But that is another rant).

6. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Nick, welcome to the Forum. Whatever you do, do not buy Bose. Bose makes garbage. I cannot believe that 3-2-1 system sells for $1000 at Best Buy. It's not even worth $500. What garbage. There are a number of quality home-theater-in-a-box systems out there that will kill anything from Bose. Take a look at non-Bose offerings at your local Best Buy, Circuit City, etc. Best of luck.

7. Joseph_W

Joseph_W Stunt Coordinator

Nick,

My wife's cousin is buying a home theater system from a professional outfit. He knows I have B&W and I told him about M&K as a possibility for him. When he asked the dealer about B&W and M&K, brands not carried by this dealer, and the dealer was nice but stated he thought he carried product that was a better value (exactly what a good salesman should say!). He did say, however, "just don't ask me about Bose!"

The prior posts were excellent advice. Also consider Energy, an excellent entry system.

Joe

8. Nick_NMK

Nick_NMK Auditioning

Thanks everyone. I look forward to reading each and every post. I wondered why the Bose stuff was so loud?

What about the Sony "Dream Systems"? Any feedback, or should I stay away from this unit? I have also looked at the Yamaha YHT24 Theatre in a Box> So many choices.

Again, my sincere thanks.

Nick

9. Vlad D

Vlad D Screenwriter

Vladimir Derenoncourt
    My brother bought one of those Sony "Dream systems." He is a musician with a good ear for music but knows nothing about HT systems. He basically wanted something that was plug-n-play. He didn't expect it to sound great but pleasantly surprised with the sound. I don't know which model he bought but I think he paid $599.

Vlad

10. David X

David X Stunt Coordinator

What type of tv do you have? What type of inputs does it have on the back?

-David

11. Alan Pummill

Alan Pummill Screenwriter

Nick,

A few weeks before Christmas, my brother-in-law and I went shopping for a new HT system for him and my sis. We ended up at Soundwaves here in Ohio. This is what we bought:

*2 pair of Paradigm Cinema Series sats

*1 Paradigm Cinema Series center

*! Paradigm PDR-10 sub

*Pioneer Elite VSX-33TX receiver (B stock)

*Toshiba DVD player (don't know the model number)

*All the interconnects and speaker wires (Monster)

*4 Wall mtg. brackets

After I installed this system for them, I was very impressed with the results. The Cinema Series sat. speakers were all installed on the walls with the adjustable brackets. You also mention DVD and CD. You can play CD's on the DVD player.

Total price...$1600

12. Jim_Stu

Jim_Stu Stunt Coordinator

Nick,

My suggestions:

I) Get a 'bookshelf' or 'wall hanging' HT kit from

either JBL or AR.

II) Get a receiver with the following features:

A) At least 80 watts per channel.

A) Pre-amp outputs for each channel.

B) Pre-amp inputs for each channel.

C) S-video & component video switching cabability.

D) The Avia DVD (50 USD)

E) RS SPL meter. (40 USD)

F) Yamaha, Denon, Onkyo, Pioneer, H/K, or Sony.

G) If you don't get a sub-woofer with your speaker

package, plan to add one ASAP.

If you have access to a DVD player now, you may want to

view the Avia DVD before buying anything else.

As other members have pointed out, you can easily surpass

Bose porformance at 1/2 of the money, unless your room is

6ft x 6ft.

JRS

13. Nathan Hamstra

Check out http://www.fiendation.com/300zx/bosefaq.htm
    Pretty informative.
    Also, I have never heard a good thing about a Sony speaker (other than that sub). Then again, I've never heard a good thing about Kenwood speakers, but their HTB's supposedly are great, so discount my opinion.

14. Kevin Simon

Kevin Simon Extra

I have been very happy with Cambridge Soundworks (CSW). Though larger, they are build/sound waaay better than BOSE. And they are much more reasonabily priced. I have the Movieworks 5.1 package.
    http://www.cambridgesoundworks.com

15. David Lin

David Lin Auditioning

Hi,

I am brand new to the forum, and I have been seeing this Avia thing, I am wondering what that is, and if I asked in the wrong place, please direct me to an faq or something. Just learning my way around, btw, great info!

16. Denward

Denward Supporting Actor

Avia is a DVD with a bunch of test patterns and test tones for calibrating your audio and video settings. There's also some narrative to explain everything. It's a must-have (along with a sound level meter from Radio Shack) if you want to setup your system correctly.