What's new

BOSE victim...help right the wrong (1 Viewer)

Jason Co

Second Unit
Do I have to stand up and admit I purchased the Bose acoustimass speakers or something? Prior to doing any research (sharp as a marble I yam I yam) I ventured to the Bose outlet and purchased the acoustimass 7 system. This system came with three double cubes and the woofer. Not only did I purchase this system but I was unhappy with the cube as the center channel so I bought the Bose center channel as well. If anyone is considering this center channel, it sucks. I have done everything I can think of to try to improve the dialog but nothing seems to work.

Okay I feel better after that. My question is I am going to buy new speakers and a center....AFTER doing some research. Hopefully by Christmas this year. What I need to know is a plan to find the right speakers for me. So far I have heard JBL, Paradigm, noHr Swan Divas...etc. I am sort of partial to the towers but don't want to spend a million dollars. I figure around a grand for the whole shootin match.
My current set up is as follows:
32" Sony Wega KV-32FV27
Sony STR-DE 545 receiver
Panasonic DVD-CV52 5 disk, MP3 capabilities
Sony SA-WM40 sub
and last but not least Bose center channel and surround speakers.

Listening to these speakers drives me more nuts by the day and research must start immediately.

sorry this is so damn long...needed to get it off my chest.

Jason

chung_sotheby

Supporting Actor
What is your price ceiling? it would be a lot easier to reccommend something to you if we knew how much you could spend. If you have unlimited funds, then we could always tell you to go get a set of $100k speakers, but I am thinking this is not the case.

BrianWoerndle

Supporting Actor
I own Paradigms, so I will reccommend an approiate Paradigm system to fit your budget:
Paradigm Monitor 7's (Tower fronts)
Paradigm CC-370 (Matching center)
Paradigm Mini Monitors or Titans (Rears)
That should be right around $1000. If you are anywhere near Canada, take a road trip into Canada and you can get them much cheaper.
Other people will be able to reccommend systems from other manufacturers. Listen to all of the and see which you like best.
Trust me, I had an Acoustimass 10 system before the Paradigms. It is a huge difference. You won't be dissappointed.

Ned

Supporting Actor
Luckily, Bose hold their value(?) well so you can unload them on Ebay to someone else who cares more about size than quality.

Jason Co

Second Unit
Brian,
I live outside ot Detroit, MI not too far from Windsor. Any idea where around Windsor would be a good spot?

Jason

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
Jason, all the speakers you're interested in are very good and have their fair share of avid supporters. Another you might want to add to your list is Axiom. They have a very forward, detailed and precise sound, so if you prefer a mellower, softer character, these might not be for you. Available only via delivery (either direct from axiom or theaudioshop in Canada) with a 30-day money-back period (I think you have to cover shipping for the return). The "factory outlet" prices at the Axiom site are simply phenomenal (these are blemished, but acoustically perfect speakers), and are probably the best bang-for-the-buck going right now... assuming theirs is a sound you like.
Probably best-known for two bookshelf models, the M22 and the M3, they also make some wonderful floorstanders (consider the M60s), a phenomenal center channel (VP150), and an interesting "quad-pole" designed surround speaker (of course, you can always use one of their direct radiating models if you prefer).
Check 'em out here: http://www.axiomaudio.com

Jason Co

Second Unit
Okay I just got back from the stereo shoppe here in Ann Arbor. I checked out the Phase Technology Teatro Seies Model 7.5. It sounded pretty good compared to what I have been listening to...but something still wasn't right. I listened to a little Stevie Ray and watched a bit of Gladiator but it seemed a bit too laid back for me. I thanked the salesman and got in my car, looked down on my seat and saw my Black Sabbath cd sitting there. I figured what good are testing speakers if I can't crank War Pigs up to 11 (spinal tap reference). So back in I went armed with vintage metal. Sure enough when I played war pigs the base was very boomy and the lyrics seemed a bit muffled. The salesman took the disk out and said "if this is what you listen to try these speakers...." He threw the disk in and low and behold the music sounded like it was intended.

The speakers were Klipsch RF-3 II. I really liked these speakers but have learned impulse buying is a no no. I will return and the salesman said he could set up a theater to test them again. Any feedback on these bad bucks? $800 a pair. Anyone,,,,anyone???

MikePeroni

Stunt Coordinator
Jason, make a call to 'stereoland' in Windsor, Ontario. Been there a few times (only 5 minutes from tunnel) and the place is sweet! They have Energy, PSB, Def.Tech., and a TON of other nice high end gear. The Energy take 5.2 package I got from them sold for 800-900 around here (Detroit area) and I got it there for 550.00!! Plus you get ALL your taxes refunded at the border because your buying a Canadian made product! Its a steal Im tellin ya.. By the way there is also a store for Paradigm in Windsor called 'Livewire Audio'

Good luck

Joe Hsu

Supporting Actor
Hey Jason, maybe you should PM me, but are you a student at UM? Just curious, since you said AA...I'm a student at UM Engin.
Anywho, there's a store in Windsor called LiveWireAudio (seems I was a second too late), which I was referred to. I can give you the email of the guy I've talked to. Paradigm is a good selection, it sounds for you.
But I wanted to say this: I just started a for sale thread, since I found a dealer clearancing Canton speakers...I personally think they're really nice, and they're at amazing prices, plus, no shipping for you. It might be what you're looking for.
PM or email me at [email protected] and we'll talk some more, k?

EricK

Second Unit
Real Name
Eric
Go for the Klipsch...if you like loud and clear...they will do you justice...

Eric.

EricHaas

Supporting Actor
I definitely second the Axiom recommendation. With a bit bigger budget, I'd recommend something like Paradigm Reference or Divas. But at the $1K price point, the best deal running is a system based around a pair of Axiom M3ti or M22ti's (b-stock if available).

Whatever brand you choose, with your budget bookshelf speakers are a must. You can get an acceptable system with towers for a grand, but nothing special.

Robert_Gaither

Screenwriter
If you're good with tools I'd recommend the DIY route otherwise I would recommend buying used or discontinued models of speakers (like the Nht Super series Zeroes, Ones, and Twoes for example).

The other limiting factor I noticed under your gear posting is the Sony AVR and might recommend to try to upgrade this as well since you're looking for better speakers and this will not do them justice.

Definitely sell the Bose online as there are many uninformed individuals who would rather own a name instead of performance (there are just so many sub/sats now days... luckily most of them decent). Sad fact is that the lesson you learned won't be known to whomever ends up buying your Bose which amazes me with all the sites now days that can be investigated for information.

Jack Keck

Second Unit
Rich first mentioned the Axiom speakers. Although they are only available via mail order in the US, if you check their website, you will find a store in Windsor that sells them. So you can hear them in the store, if you want to. Just something else to check out if you are going south of the border.

Jason Co

Second Unit
I checked out the Klipsch RF3II and really liked them. I plan on checking out the Paradigm Monitor 7 today. If I really like the Paradigms I am thinking of day tripping to Windsor to see what kind of price I can get.

On the subject of bookshelves, my room has a pretty high vaulted ceiling so I am worried about filling the room.

Jason

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
If you like the Klipsch, you should definitely consider the Axioms. Titanium tweeters, aluminum woofers, extremely precise and efficient speakers. If you find the horned tweets on the Klipsch's a tad fatiguing, but still like the overall sound, the Axioms may well be the perfect compromise.

Jason Co

Second Unit
Okay things are starting to take shape. Just got back from checking out the Paradigm monitor 7's. I like them a lot. They are not quite as in your face as the Klipsch and sound damn good. I want to check out Livewire audio in Windsor. Hey Mike any idea how to get there?

p.s. the guy at the shop quoted me monitor7's & cc370 for $900 if I buy rosenut that is in stock. Paradigm is upgrading the Monitor 7's so the new ones with the same center will run me $1050.

MikePeroni

Stunt Coordinator
Jason, call information for Windsor (15191212 I think) get 'Livewire Audio' number, and call them for directions. Im telling ya though, check out Stereoland too, the PSB and Energy lines are awesome too...!
Mike

MikePeroni

Stunt Coordinator
Jason, another thing, dont worry about the tax refund and this and that. The guys at any of those shops will be happy to guide you through it, after all, US customers are a BIG part of their business..Its nothing to worry about.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks