What's new

Bose teams up with Xbox. :( (1 Viewer)

Jason Harbaugh

Senior HTF Member
All I can say is what is Microsoft thinking? It is nice that they are starting to thinking of actually demonstrating the sound capabilities of the Xbox, but with Bose??
Bose Corporation and Xbox are joining forces to showcase how a premium video-game system and a high-quality surround sound system can provide an entirely new gaming experience.
Beginning in September 2002, the Xbox video game system from Microsoft and the new Bose FreeStyle speaker system will be merchandised together for consumer use at all Bose, Best Buy, and select Circuit City stores across the country.
Xbox is the only video game system with in-game Dolby® digital 5.1 surround sound in hardware, offering the most advanced audio gaming experience of any console on the market. Compatible with any gaming console, the new Bose FreeStyle speaker system can enhance the advantages of Xbox, delivering most of the performance of a premium 5 speaker surround sound system -- from just 2 compact speakers.
Together, the FreeStyle speaker system and Xbox deliver a level of gaming previously unavailable. Users can practically “feel” race cars speeding around the track or the bone-crunching hits in a football game, because the video and audio are both realistic and compelling.
“Demonstrating the FreeStyle speaker system with Xbox is an obvious fit,” says Doug Cunningham, Senior Product Manager from Bose. “Consumers who visit these displays can see and hear the difference it makes when surround sound is combined with state-of-the-art video games.”
“With advancements in gaming technology, quality sound is becoming increasingly important to the gaming experience," said Bill Brownell, Director of Retail Marketing, Xbox. “A gamer who hooks an Xbox up to Bose FreeStyle speakers had better prepare themselves because the sound quality will blow them away.”
The Xbox and Bose FreeStyle speaker system will be demonstrated together in all Bose stores, and in the audio departments of participating retailers. For more information on the Bose, Best Buy and Circuit City locations, consumers can call 1-800-444-BOSE. The FreeStyle speaker system is expected to sell for $499 and will also be available at www.bose.com in late September, 2002.

Andre F

Screenwriter
Well, Bose is very well known so I think it makes sense. At least the Xbox will get more exposure with this setup. I don't exactly have any love for Bose either...

Jeffrey Noel

Screenwriter
Demonstrating DD5.1 capabilities with only 2 speakers?? Oh come on Bose! At least you could get it right with using an actual surround system. Booooo!

Eric Samonte

Screenwriter
I guess those of us who understand better should take it upon themselves to bless those who are mislead with our wisdom.

James St

Supporting Actor
I think this would have been a good idea if they would have used a 5.1 setup. My local Best Buy has a nice Bose setup(I'm sure they all do:rolleyes:) and having an XBox on something like that would have sounded awesome compared to the shitty tv speakers that it and other sytems are being played on. But with "just 2 compact speakers" :thumbsdown:

Adam Nixon

Second Unit
Wow, 500 bucks for 2 speakers?! What a bargain! So much for the X-box catering to high-end gamers...

Nathan A

Second Unit
hmm...better be some nice speakers. you can get a NICE pair of bookshelfs for that price or less (klipsch RB-3's for instance). sure, they may not "sound like 5 speakers!", but at least they'll sound great.

MikeyWeitz

Supporting Actor
Yes James, Bose is overpirced Crap ( no offense if you own Bose, altho you should really dump them and go for better and cheaper)

Art C

Agent
For Half that money you can perchase Klipsh
promedias speakers that are 4.1 and 400 watts
that will play at 110 decibles at listening at
listening position with no problem. and slap any
bose product in the face. That remark comes from
my neighbors who owns one 123 system and the other
bose lifestyle.

It looks like the bose marketing machine is at
it again. I have more respect for people selling
speakers out of a white van than I do Bose.

Jason Harbaugh

Senior HTF Member
James,

If you do own Bose speakers, the only good thing about them is that you can get almost all of your money back on Ebay. They tend to hold their value well.

Andre F

Screenwriter
I owned a pair of Bose and while (on the horror) and sold them for good money even though they were several years old. I'm very happy these days to have my set of Mirage speakers. Sorry this is off topic.

James Zos

Supporting Actor
Thanks for the sympathetic responses but I was just joking with my post! I don't own any Bose and am familiar with their poor reputation. Its true though that many MANY years ago before I got into home theater I did believe the Bose hype a little. Now if something sells well amongst the general population I am naturally suspicous of it. It usually means inferior quality and superior hype.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks