What's new

BOSE speakers blown to smithereens! Possible? (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

amanWadhan

Agent
Greeetings everyone,

Scenario:
Very shortly, I would be the proud owner of (my first) a home theater system.
I wish to use any one of the following amps with a set of Bose speakers. But I am doubtful about the safety of the speakers. I am not very sure of their 'load-handling' capability. Can they handle these amps, or will the amps blow 'em away?

Products in question:

Amps/Receivers:
1) Yamaha RXV 640
2) Yamaha RXV 1400
3) Onkyo TX-SR 602

Speakers set:
1) Bose 301 Series V - 2 front speakers (150 Watts/channel; 4-8 ohm)
2) Bose 201 Series - 4 rear speakers (10-120 Watts/channel; 8 ohm)
3) Bose VCS-10 - Center channel (10-100 Watts/channel; 4-8 ohm)

Queries:

1) Which amp would be the ideal choice for this set of speakers? (Please restrict your answers to Yamaha, Onkyo, and JBL only)

2) Which is a better amp among Yamaha RXV 640, Yamaha RXV 1400, and Onkyo TX-SR 602, with respect to power handling, wattage (peak and continuous) ?

3) Is it better to choose an all-in-one offering like Bose Acoustimass 16 Surround Sound Powered Speakers (sub-woofer included) OR to go in for individual components ("jewel cubes" from Bose, but amps and sub-woofers from different manufacturers)?

4) In case of component speakers, which sub-woofer should I choose? Is it capable of handling 300 RMS, without any risk? (Again, please restrict your answers to Yamaha, Onkyo, and JBL only)

Your opinion/help will be truly appreciated.

Thanks.

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
None of the listed receivers will really have enough power to destroy the speakers from overpowering them. You'd need fairly large monoblocks, or a drastic power surge to do that. As for number 4, and modern subwoofer will be self-powered with its own amp, so you dont need to worry.

As for Bose, I'd go with their larger speakers (301, 201, VCS-10) over their jewel cubes anyway, its an obvious step-up in sound quality if you listen to both.

BillyHC

Agent
as for 3, general recommendation is to avoid spending $ on BOSE speakers where you could have either better speakers for the same $, or same quality for less, or both.
If size is an issue and you really need small cubes, there are other brands that are well recommended. Rocket, IIRC, is one of them.
If you just want an all-in-one solution and don't have size limitations, then I believe the Onkyo HTIB are highly recommended as a quick solution to most HT needs. At least as a starter set.

Now, if you already have those speakers and want to repurpose them, then the story is slightly different. You can get away with using any of the receivers you listed, but you'll want to suppliment them with a good subwoofer to fill in the low end. IIRC, some BOSE speakers roll off in the high 100's so you'll want a good sub that does well up in the 100's as well, to fill in any gap you might have.

A good way to test your existing speakers is to run test tones to see where they start to roll off, and use that to determine what subwoofer (or replacement mains) you need.

DaveHo

Supporting Actor
Do a search here on Bose and educate yourself. I doubt you'll be buying them after you do.

Kenneth Harden

Screenwriter
I can tell you from first hand experience the Bose center channel is a piece of trash and will bring down your whole system. There are a lot of products for the same or less money that will put the Bose to shame.

Just say no to Bose.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Aman, do not start multiple posts about the same topic. I'm letting the one in Receivers/Amps remain open because you're talking about getting a receiver to power these particular speakers. JB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks