Bose speaker wire

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Stan Welks, Aug 26, 2006.

1. Stan Welks

Stan Welks Stunt Coordinator

I have a Bose passive sub and 5 satellite speaker set that I purchased around 6-yrs ago. I have had it in the box for several years and am now going to use it again. It came with some speaker wire that seems pretty thin to me. I spent somewhere around $900 (I think) for the speaker set so I would have assumed that they would have given good wire to work with the speakers. Is this wire somehow optimized to work with these satellite speakers or should I just look into getting better wire?

Thanks.

2. DougR

DougR Second Unit

Just look at getting ANY wire !! Bose probably skimped on the wire anyway ? [​IMG]

3. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

For short runs, thin wire is ok. But Bose makes a living out of making small, un-obtrusive speakers so they toss in horriably thin wires with the idea that this helps hide things. Sound - is secondary to marketing/perception.

I'd go with a good, flat 14 ga. for short runs. 12 ga if you have well over 20 ft runs.

4. Jeremy Little

Jeremy Little Supporting Actor

You may need the wire adapter that will allow you to use your own wire. I know that these Acoustimass sets have changed more than a few times, but the one I saw required an adapter.

5. Patrick.C

Patrick.C Second Unit

You can get the adapters for "free" from Bose. Just call them and tell them you're changing the wire and they will send them to you for $5 or $10 to cover the shipping. I got some this way last year for an Acoustimass 6.

6. Alex/d

Alex/d Stunt Coordinator

If it was anything like the wire they gave me with my Yamaha reciever and speaker set... change it.

Mine looked like FM antenna cable, I kid you not.

I did the right thing when I got my Onkyo and BIC's. [​IMG]
    Got some Acoustic Research 16 gauge.... which works well for the time being.

7. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

The wire they included is completely adequate for the very small frequency range that's being sent out of the "acoustimass" module to those dinky things. Don't worry about it. If you like the way the speakers sound and their unobtrusive diminutive size, just hook em up and grin.