What's new

bose speaker question(not a rant or praise thread) (1 Viewer)

Jeremy Swenson

Stunt Coordinator
new to hd, in fact i just got my panasonic 50 inch lcd last night, should get my samsung direct tv hd receiver today, i have an onkyo 6.1 surround receiver,
my question is about my speakers, since the bose didnt sound the best to me i started supplementing them with other speakers, an infinity wall mount for the rear center channel, a nice infinity front center channel to replace the bose cube, and a 10 inch polk audio subwoofer, the four cubes remaining at front right/left and rear right/left sound fine when combined with the rest of the system, but i want to do away with the whole bass module and the 5 miles of wire it comes with, can i just cut off the end of the wire on them and just plug them directly into the receiver? not use the bass module ? i want to do it tonight when i set up my tv and everything else and i cant afford to buy new speakers right now
i cant wait to get this set up, i am pretty excited,course the wife is pretty upset at me for getting this but hopefully after we watch some HD shows it gets better

James Edward

Supporting Actor
If I understand your question correctly, you'll need to continue to use the bass module for the Bose cube speakers, and the others can be run directly from the receiver.
The reason is that the module acts as a crossover, filtering out the low frequencies from being sent to the cubes, which they cannot handle.
When you run your other speakers directly from the receiver, you should notice an even greater increase in sound quality, since the bass will no longer be being stripped from them.
Since you have the Polk sub, you should set all of your speakers to 'small', and the sub to 'yes' even those still connected through the bass module, as the Polk will give you better bass than the module.

Rory Buszka

Supporting Actor
You probably wouldn't want to do that. The Bose Acoustimass has a crossover in the module that makes sure no low frequencies go to the cubes, because there will be a lot of distortion. The satellites themselves are probably only rated at about 20 watts, so you might blow them with your reciever. That and they'll sound like crap. A friend and I tried it, and the sound was terrible. (it was his Acoustimass system, not mine.)

You should try to do Infinity all around. Try the Primus line. Inexpensive, but Infinity. They should match your center channel well enough. The Infinity Primus 250 is not the biggest Primus floorstander but you should get what you want from it. Then for your rear surrounds, try the Sat 750, also an Infinity. It has wall mounting brackets and it is compact in its design, to keep the wife happy.

Chris Quinn

Screenwriter
These guy are right the cubes can't take direct hook-up to the receiver. Look at ebay and see what bose sell for. You should be able to improve your speakers with what you can sell the Bose for.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks