What's new

Bose replacements (1 Viewer)

Jeff-Watson

Stunt Coordinator
Ok guys here we go. I have just entered the home theater hobby and here is my equipment list:

Yamaha htr-5540 receiver
Toshiba 4800 dvd player
Panasonic 51" hdtv
Sony hifi vcr
Bose Acoustimass 6 Speakers
Sony sa-wm40 sub

I have grown tired of the Bose sound. No matter where I move in the room they sound ok but I can pick out every speaker location because the sound is so directional it seems. Almost earpiercing and higher levels. Don't get me wrong I love to crank up the sound but the Bose seem to be way too bright so I have decided to send them packing. I want to keep my sub as it seems to be a great value and sounds great but I need some advice on upgrading my speakers. I have a BIC center channel from another system which has two 5 1/4" woofers and a silk tweeter. It sounds really good. I don't mind using it if I can find good main and surround speakers to match its sound. So here is where I will lean on all of you guys and your expertise. I have spent quite bit of money on my eqipment so far and the wife will freakout if I spend anymore so I have around $400 to spend. Thanks for any advise and for the great info I have already received via this board.

TedE

Stunt Coordinator
Jeff,

At that price point, and with the Sony sub, you might want to look into the NSP1 packge from JBL, or at least N-Series separates. They are quite a popular combo on these boards.

Brian Bowles

Second Unit
Crutchfield has the Polk rt25i bookshelf speakers for only $99 each. They are a great bargain for that price. I have them in my system. The only thing is that if you want a center channel the Polk cs245i will run you $149-$199. Here is a review of the speakers:
Stereophile Magazine

Jeff-Watson

Stunt Coordinator
Speaking of BIC speakers. What do you all think of their sound either before or after the modifications from Ed Firas as discussed at Audio review.com

Rob Rodier

Supporting Actor
Tonal balance is said to be an important aspect in creating a "realistic" home theater experience.

I would try to figure out what the center speaker's tonal characteristics are. Then ask for reccomendations based on that. If you plan on upgrading the center in the future than you might just go with the best deal now, and live with it for a while.

good luck

-rob

Bill Leber

Stunt Coordinator
I would use the $400 on mains and keep the Bose for surrounds. Depending on the mains you choose, you may want to run without a center channel until you can get a new one. If you properly place your mains, and sit directly in front of the TV, you don't need a center.

DanielN

Stunt Coordinator
Check out Audioshop in Canada and look up their prices for the Axiom M1Ti mains, VP50 Center, and QS2 surrounds...they are all on sale and come to about $400+ after $CAN to $US conversion.
Here is the link, talk to Marc, they ship to US via Fedex. Mine came super fast.
http://www.audioshop.on.ca/axiomspeakers.htm

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
That Bose setup will bring a surprisingly good price on ebay, so maybe your wife will allow you to up the budget then. If not, the JBL NSP1 package at about $250 is a great deal. If you plan on upgrading to a 7.1 speaker setup in the future, you could move the two N24 front speakers to the rear center and add two larger matching JBL's as mains at that time.

Dan Ponze

Stunt Coordinator
I like Scott's idea. Sell the Bose speakers to increase your budget. There are a lot of great speakers in the $900 range including Canton's MX series (which are actually smaller than the bose) as well as the Energy and Jamo home theater setups. This way your whole room will be a matching setup and you maybe even sell your Sony sub on E-bay as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks