Bose question

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Michael Cook, Jun 19, 2002.

1. Michael Cook

Michael Cook Stunt Coordinator

Don't worry, I don't have one, but a co-worker is thinking about buying one of the systems. What are the draw backs to the Bose other than price? can you hook anything up to the bose or do you have to hoook everything throught the TV?

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Drawback #1 is not the price, but what you GET for that price. - poor frequency response. There are no tweeters, so highs are not realistic. The cubes are too small to effectively reproduce lower midrange also. Their "bass module" is not a true subwoofer, which is why they do not call it one. It does not reach the lowest frequencies, and most of them sound a little on the boomy side to me.

I don't understand the other part of the question? Perhaps you can clarify that? The newer Lifestyle systems have video inputs/outputs, but if there are sufficient inputs on the TV, then there is really no benefit to looping through the receiver.

3. Michael Cook

Thanks John,

to clarify the 2nd part, do they have s-video/component hookups or just your standard composite hook ups? If so, that would be a draw back (if you TV didn't have these hookups either).

Are these Bose systems guilty of sounding better in the stores than when you get home?

4. John Garcia

John
    According to Crutchfield, both the LS28 and LS35 have one composite and one s-vid in/out.

Personally, I don't think they sound any better or worse when you get them home. To me they are average sounding at best. For the MSRP of those two systems, one can build a MUCH more substantial system, and for less than that price, one can still put together a system that sounds better. My main audio system cost me just over $2k (speakers, receiver, DVD & CD) and will run circles around a the LS38 @ MSRP $2999.

5. Michael Cook

Mine cost much less than Bose and sounds better too. Guess I will go talk him out of the Bose and help him find something better.

6. Greg_R

Greg_R Screenwriter

Greg
  7. Mike Matheson

Mike Matheson Second Unit

8. Mike-grouse

Mike-grouse Stunt Coordinator

Let's be honest hear (pun intended).

While bose speakers aren't perfect and you can usually find better sound fo rthe same price, you won't find as sleek a package and as dimure of speakers. Others come close but still can't match size wise.

Anyway the 901s sound just as good if not better than many of the top end speakers out there ( i own paradigm studio 60s myself so there's no "i own bose and must defend bias here).

Martin logan electrostatics are the absolute most natural sound speakers in existence, they have no tweeters either so that argument doesn't hold.

Now when you talk about the cube speakers bose has then you do get into a couple of issues. The cubes suffer from the need of having a very good amp play them such as a mid-high end denon or HK before they sound good and the new "subwoofer" designs for the bass module really do perform bass like a sub.

The all in one lifestyle systems do sound great because the amp is made specifically for the speakers so they do sound just as good as they do in the store and many times better. (everyone knows that audio gear sounds better at home bacause the store is the worst place to demo)

I like the jewel cubes' sound better than the standard cube. I bit crisper. Just be sure whoever is buying it has the inputs and outputs they will need now and into the future. I don't believe in connect component video through a receiver as many people will likely have only one complonent connection so even if they route the vidoe through the receiver they will still have to change the input on the TV due to the use of a different connection type. I choose to save and cable a benefit from having a direct path to the source rather than routing whihc can cause signal degradation.

The new lifestyle systems are a lot better than the ones offered a year ago. Good luck and keep an open mind.

Later

9. Bill Kane

Bill Kane Screenwriter

To continue this unusual "let's be fair" to B*se idea, here's a newspaper article today from the NYT...
    June 20, 2002
    Calibrating the DVD's Sound to Each Hearer's Vantage Point
    By IVAN BERGER
    The sound that comes from your speakers is not the sound you hear. Your room sees to that, emphasizing some frequencies while undercutting others. Equalizers — arrays of tone controls that affect tiny slices of the frequency range — can help. But setting an equalizer accurately by ear is very difficult, and using instruments to get perfect correction at one listening spot often diminishes the sound quality elsewhere in the room. And true as that is for stereo, the problem gets worse with 5.1-channel home theater systems.
    Bose has addressed the issue by adding a feature called Adaptiq to its Lifestyle 35 and Lifestyle 28 home theater systems. Once the systems, which each include a compact woofer-amplifier module and five small speakers, are set up, the user calibrates the equalization by playing a CD-ROM on the control center's DVD-CD player, donning a headset that incorporates several tiny microphones and sitting briefly in five user-selected spots in the room. The Lifestyle system plays test tones and compares them with the sounds picked up by the mikes; then it analyzes the differences to come up with equalization settings that improve the sound at all likely listening positions.
    Both systems can feed separate music sources to two different rooms and include radio-frequency remote controls that work through walls for operation from the farther one as well as an infrared remote. The Lifestyle 28 is $2,499; the Lifestyle 35, with even smaller speakers, is $2,599. They can be purchased at the Bose Web site (www.bose.com) and from all Bose retailers.
    Copyright 2002 The New York Times Company | Permissions | Privacy Policy

10. David Guill

David Guill Extra

11. Mike-grouse

David,

Simply wrong.

Sad to say that I've been involved with HT for only 10 years and have already surpassed your knowledge bass. It must be something along the ideas that younger people are more capable of being open minded.

I don't deny the fact that better can be had at the same price than a bose system. Or that the Bose "subs" go way to high in the male vocal range (just try and ffind the frequency specs bose hides).

What I'm saying is that they aren't crap. And for a novice trying to get one without having a personla friend willing to build a system for him, that bose is a safe bet for people that want something that could be slightly considered audiophile.

By the by I don't buy my gear from Circuit City or Best unless there's one hell of good product offered for cheap.

Try not to let your HT snobbery get in the way of honest home theater advice. Uunless you plan on personally building an HT system for everyone that is considering a bose system.

With the HT industry growing at phonominal levels the practices of HT snobbory advice holds no place anymore. You need to realize that some people haven't attuned the ears and listening preferences like you or I have and honestly can't tell the difference between a $2500 all in one system and a meticulously built $10,000 system. When testing against these people all I've ever heard them say was the $10,000 system seemed louder even though levels were matched.

Bang for buck, the bose could deliver better.

For simplicity of setup, nothing else can.

By the by: Subs I listen to: Mirage, Paradigm, Velodyne, M&K.
    I prefer the M&K and Paradigm.

lick it.

12. Carl Johnson

Carl Johnson Cinematographer

Carl III
    Hooked On Phonics can only take you so far dude... [​IMG]

13. Jeffrey Forner

Jeffrey Forner Screenwriter

Mike;

14. John Garcia

John
    IMO, WAF is the single most important factor in Bose sales, with the second being brand name recognition. Nothing more.

15. Mike-grouse

We're pretty much agreeing here, but just using different words.

One thing to contend to. You have to deal with idiots. WHile we may know you could build a better system someone else can't do it without the guidance... and a lot of it.

People also like feeling secure. As you with anyone who buys home theater people like going with what they know or precieve to know. So you stuck with the bose people just like your stuck with the people who buy only all Sony equipment. While it may not sound the best, it does pretty good.

I jusge speakers not based on their technology type but based on sound alone. There are many different ways to produce sound and hundreds more manufaturers telling you why theirs is best. I don't let the tech guide me but rather my ear. And anything that come close to producing what the martin logans can without the need of such expensive amplification is a speaker one must look at. In the end... they all "sound emitting devices".

On the HT dumbed down state: I've had people tell me they can hear no difference in sound from a 1965 speaker enclosure comprosed of mismatched radio shack drivers that replaced the broken cones of the original speaker compared to paridigms monitor lineup.

When you know exactly with what your dealing with only then will your eyes be open.

16. Cees Alons

Cees Alons Moderator

Cees Alons