Bose Question

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by mike__j, Sep 4, 2004.

1. mike__j

mike__j Extra

Hello,
    I have been looking at the new lifestyle 38 system. I have spoken with a store owner that sells all types af brands. He recommends the Bose over any of the systems he sells. I have also been looking at SVS and Axiom highs. This is my 1st home theater system and I am new at this. I have read several forums that slam Bose and this concerns me. The man at the store said the new Bose systems have improved greatly. What are your thoughts?
    Thanks Mike

2. GrahamT

GrahamT Supporting Actor

I think there is more commission for the bose stuff.

You cant lose with Axiom and SVS, a lot of people here use that combo. Go out to some hi fi shops and bring your favourite songs. Listen to some real speakers, Energy, PSB, Polk, Paradigm, Klipsch, Mission, Totem, Mirage, JBL, etc etc. Maybe check out some net direct speaks like Axiom, Ascend Acosutics etc.

3. Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Cameron Yee
    You won't find any Bose lovers here either. Just do a search on "Bose" and you'll find plenty of opinions, though you may have to wade through a lot to get to the actual reasons why. The bottom line is, let your ears decide. Be sure to compare Bose to other known brands and do price-for-performance evaluation. Most people who do this seem to choose something else besides Bose.

4. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

In advertising, this is another way of saying "It doesn't stink as badly as whatever we used to sell."

For the same money, you can do better. People might be able to guide you if you can describe the size of your room and what sort of speakers you're looking for. For example, many want a system where the speakers are very small, much like the smallish Bose cubes. If that's the case, there are several cost effective alternatives.

So...whatcha got?

5. Andrew*L

Andrew*L Agent

Mike,

I agree with Cameron on this: From my experiences with listening to Bose and comparing to other speaker brands, its very easy to distinguish whether the Bose sound is to your liking. In fact, its probably one of the easier distinctions you can make in this hobby.

It may be tough to get an A/B comparision, because Bose makes a conscious effort to isolate their speakers in separate listening rooms, to avoid direct comparisions with other brands (this was a red flag to me, even before I knew about the Bose sound). Then again, the differences can be so stark, its not easy to forget.

I tend not to hold my breath concerning comments any salesperson makes to me concerning their products. They are naturally biased, and there is enough sources of factual information at your disposal that you don't need to rely on them to make a good choice. Don't get me wrong, there are many that I work with that are professional, courteous, and helpful, but I don't rely solely on them for purchasing decisions. As always, your listening tests should factor in the most in your decision.

6. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

I would heed the forums, but before purchasing anything, go out and listen carefully to many of the oft-mentioned brands around here and other forums. And go listen to bose too. You will quickly arise at your own tastes, and will eventually get the proper product for you. And you'll learn a little bit about bose...

7. Eddie Horton

Eddie Horton Stunt Coordinator

Bose isn't completely crappy, as I've heard worse sounding setups. They are, however, very bad for the money. If you're prepared to spend 3K on a Lifestyle system, shop around. For that amount of jack, you can get a nice mid-fi receiver (Yamaha, Pioneer, Denon), a great set of 5 speakers (Ascend, Rocket, Axiom, Aperion, HTD, Paradigm, etc.), and a REAL subwoofer (HSU, SVS). Do the research, shop carefully, find the sound you want, and far better bang for the buck is possible.