What's new

Bose or klipsch setup? noob here. (1 Viewer)

ScottCHI

Screenwriter
looks like a good setup to me. interested to hear your impressions when you get it all set up. was actually considering those same 5 polks at one time myself.

Jeremy Little

Supporting Actor

Yeah, that's totally scripted. The packages are Best Buy packages and since she had no clue what happens at the store level, she went with the most common response (which is applicable in computer packages).

I am glad you found a solution to your woes, let us know how that Polk setup sounds.

Jeremy Little

Supporting Actor

Yeah, that's totally scripted. The packages are Best Buy packages and since she had no clue what happens at the store level, she went with the most common response (which is applicable in computer packages).

I am glad you found a solution to your woes, let us know how that Polk setup sounds.

Tim O...

Stunt Coordinator
Pete, I think you made some good decisions. The Yamaha receivers are solid, and going with 7.1 and 110 wpc was smart, even if it doesn't deliver exactly that. Polks are proven performers and liked by many (I used to own 2 pairs of bookshelves and liked them a lot, but that was a decade ago). And I think the smartest choice you made was the sub. You probably would have paid about the same or more for a lesser quality sub if you'd bought in-store. The Hsu's have received rave reviews from the top of their line to the bottom. I think you maximized your budgetpretty well and I bet you'll be pleasantly surprised with how it sounds.

I too am anxious to hear what you think of everything once you get it set up and calibrated. And as others have said, get yourself a SPL meter from Radio Shack. It's well worth the investment. My receiver has an auto-calibrate feature that works well, but it was still off a bit, and once I recalibrated with the SPL meter, there was a noticeable improvement.

Enjoy!

Tim O...

Stunt Coordinator
Pete, I think you made some good decisions. The Yamaha receivers are solid, and going with 7.1 and 110 wpc was smart, even if it doesn't deliver exactly that. Polks are proven performers and liked by many (I used to own 2 pairs of bookshelves and liked them a lot, but that was a decade ago). And I think the smartest choice you made was the sub. You probably would have paid about the same or more for a lesser quality sub if you'd bought in-store. The Hsu's have received rave reviews from the top of their line to the bottom. I think you maximized your budgetpretty well and I bet you'll be pleasantly surprised with how it sounds.

I too am anxious to hear what you think of everything once you get it set up and calibrated. And as others have said, get yourself a SPL meter from Radio Shack. It's well worth the investment. My receiver has an auto-calibrate feature that works well, but it was still off a bit, and once I recalibrated with the SPL meter, there was a noticeable improvement.

Enjoy!

Pete Bishop

Agent

What's a SPL meter? Did I miss something someone said in a reply?

Also, does anyone know how close the Yamaha receivers wattage actually performs compared to what they report?

Pete Bishop

Agent

What's a SPL meter? Did I miss something someone said in a reply?

Also, does anyone know how close the Yamaha receivers wattage actually performs compared to what they report?

Drew_W

Screenwriter

Historically speaking, terribly. The RXV730 review from a year or two ago showed rating of I think 75wpc, but it put out 38wpc with 5 channels driven, even less with 6 channels driven.

Drew_W

Screenwriter

Historically speaking, terribly. The RXV730 review from a year or two ago showed rating of I think 75wpc, but it put out 38wpc with 5 channels driven, even less with 6 channels driven.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks