Bose Lifestlye or Paradigm/Pioneer

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Steve Marsh, Sep 9, 2002.

1. Steve Marsh

Steve Marsh Stunt Coordinator

I have to make a choice.
    I am going to buy either a Bose Lifestyle sys or a Pioneer/ Paradigm sys. The prices are about the same.
    The salesman seems to think the Bose is better and most educated people like Bose. thought I might check here before I buy it.
    Steve

2. Kevin_Kr

Kevin_Kr Supporting Actor

Pioeneer Paradigm would more than likely be of better audio quality without knowing the exacts. Why are you limitedto those 2 choices only?

3. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

4. MannyE

MannyE Stunt Coordinator

Just throwing out the chum...it looks like.

But just in case.....

Have you sat down to hear both systems? Or are you just going by reviews and word of mouth?

You've got to budget at least a week or two to visit stores and listen to what you want to buy..or, the better choice is to have the store let you take it home so you can listen at your home for a few days...

However....

I suspect a troll... sniff sniff...yep...there's bait in the water.

5. Steve Marsh

Manny
    How dare you call me a Troll. Actually I am a worm.
    Yes I was throwing out the chum. you are smarter than you look. Wait a minute I've never seen you.
    All kidding aside I was posting on behalf of a buddy who thinks bose is the best thing since curried chicken. I just wanted him to see the reponse.
    It's been fun and I am sure if I waited it would get better but you called it.
    Steve

6. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    I'm not a fan of curry, but I will take it over Bose...

"Educated people prefer Bose" That could be their new slogan, LOL. Educated to the 6th grade, if that. All I can give credit to Bose for is the fact that they certainly know how to market and have excellent brand recognition. With all that money they are making off of those tiny cubes, I would have thought they would actually try to improve their products, but apparently, the money is more important.

7. Angelo.M

Angelo.M Producer

Another vote against Bose in all of its incarnations. I strongly agree with John's post.

A close friend of my recently brought home a pair of 201s (not cubes, bookshelf speakers), very proudly I might add. A brand-spanking-new mall which just recently opened in our area has a fancy new Bose retailer, packed full of people every weekend. He gave a listen, liked what he heard in the showroom, and carted the speakers home. Oh, how he beamed when auditioning them for me!

A week and a few A/B comparisons (against Wharfedales, Paradigms, Polks and JBL) later, the 201s are back in the dealer's stockroom. Acoustic Reflection be damned!

--AM

8. MannyE

MannyE Stunt Coordinator

Steve, If I was as smart as I looked, I'd be a star....at Monkey Jungle.

I still remember the first time I heard a Bose system...and I think with a few more sessions, I'll finally be able to stop having the nightmares.

My Acura MDX came with a much-ballyhooed Bose system (Ballyhoo is also a fish...) you should go to the MDX forum and read a few of the posts from even the audio newbies that wonder why the radio sucks....the drivers actually cost between 4 and 15 bucks!

Seriously...tell your friend to save his money for DVDs and by something cheaper that will give him better sound...or for the 3K that Bose Lifecrap costs...he can get some nice stuff that will blow the Bose away.

9. MannyE

MannyE Stunt Coordinator

Lemon Curry?

10. Jeff Baldwin

Jeff Baldwin Auditioning

Thought I'd share a quick wife story.
    We all have probably had one similar too this. My brother in-law after hearing and watching The Matrix on DVD at my house on Parasound separates, M20 Revel fronts, Energy center, and sonance rears. Went right out to get his surround sound set up. Some "educated" salesman sold him the Bose's system. After beaming with pride, he invited us over for a listen. It was unbearable, I had to leave the room has to stay polite. After leaving my wife who never got my hobbie before, thought I was a genius. It can actually be a good thing, since then she never questions on new equipment. I guess I should thank Bose for their product which enables me to buy quality.

I would also mention that I have 2 pair of Paradigms in other rooms and use them on my Deck. I would not hesitate to recommend them. You may also want to find a M&K dealer. They have a good surround package that's not to expensive and it has a true sub not that mid-sub (at best) that Bose sells.

Good luck

11. Mike LS

Mike LS Supporting Actor

12. John Garcia

John
    That's pretty extreme. [​IMG] One comma, and the comment means something totally different [​IMG]
    My fiance is now the same way. She didn't really notice much of a difference in our system from upgrade to upgrade (with the exception of the receiver, which was very obvious). She was at a friend's place, then her parents, while on an extended trip for work. When she got back, one of the first things she said was "Now I understand, and appreciate the setup". [​IMG] No more complaints when I am talking about upgrades.

13. Bill Kane

Bill Kane Screenwriter

actually, that's three commas...[​IMG]

14. John Garcia

John
    hehe, yes, two commas missing. ,[​IMG],
    THREE?

15. Robb Roy

Robb Roy Supporting Actor

I do not agree with bashing a company's products, but I will add that I looked at this thread because the title was so ludicrous.

As to the education part of this, we're not being very convincing in these posts... "Too" is to convey too much/many of something! :)

16. Brett DiMichele

Brett DiMichele Producer

MannyE,

My 2000 Z51 6 Speed Coupe Corvette also came with the
    "Bose Premium Sound System" (I had no choice in the matter)
    and let me tell you it's a real GEM... NOT!

Everything Bose has ever made has been garbage IMHO of course.

None of the factory audio systems Bose has installed are
    quality nor are thier home speakers. If Bose was priced in
    the same range as say a pair of $40.00 Jensen Bookshelf's
    or KLH Perhaps they would be a decent buy, but at 10x the
    price it's pure hype..

BOSE "Better sales through marketing"

17. RajeeK

RajeeK Second Unit

I'd get the Bose, you can't go wrong with them.

18. Steve Marsh

RajeeK's
    Thanks for that. For a while I thought no one was gioing to give me a definitive answer. Since you seem knowlegeable and positive I am going to get the Bose.
    Do you think I should get some Harmonic Tech cables to take full advantage of the Bose sound? I think I can splice them into the hardwired Bose cables if I use my swiss army knife carefully and butt splice with my Snap on Vice Grips.
    One more thing. I looked at your equip list and saw Pioneer Elite in there. My condolances. Maybe you can still trade in on the Bose.

19. DanaA

DanaA Screenwriter

By the way Brett, my car salesman told me that most edumacated people buy Yugos, not Corvettes and that Yugos come equipped with Krell sound systems.[​IMG]

20. Kevin. W

Kevin. W Screenwriter

I hate to say it but it was Bose that got me into the home theater scene. Those trips every other day to Best Buy to drool over the Bose setup they had. Just wishing that I could have one. Thank god they were so overpiced that all I could afford was the Sony SA-V10 Dolby Prologic setup at the time. Now my setup consists of a Marantz AV560U pre/pro, Rotel RMB-1066 and Paradigm Mini Monitors/CC350/PS1000 and could never be happier. DIE BOSE DIE[​IMG] [​IMG]
    Kevin