What's new

Bose Ipod Dock? (1 Viewer)

werty7777

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Martin
I know how much everyone loves Bose on this forum. (joking) However my wife wants an Ipod dock and I honestly haven't heard a better dock than the Bose series. I know, I hate to say it. Anyone found a better option? Of course I could buy a dock for my receivers but for some reason that's a non-starter for her. Could get the 3.5 mm to RCA and do it that way but she doesn't like that either. Thoughts on another brand so I don't have to support the advertising machine? Thanks!

CB750

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bill
I assume you are referring to this type of Bose unit which includes and amp and speakers. Which is nothing more than an expensive boom box.

http://www.bose.com/controller?event=DTC_LINKS_TARGET_EVENT&DTCLinkID=8082&perfsourceid=k9677&src=k9677

Why would you want this when you can connect your Ipod directly to your receiver and listen through your HT speakers, which whatever brand they might be will have much better sound quality than this Bose unit will produce.

If your wife still insists on a separate unit for her ipoid their are much better options. Although I have not listened this unit I am a fan of B&W speakers. Perhaps others can suggest other units.

http://www.bowers-wilkins.com/iPod_and_Computer_Speakers/iPod_and_Computer_Speakers/Zeppelin/Overview.html

werty7777

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Martin
Yes that's the Bose that I'm referring to. Trust me I would much rather hook it up to the Onkyo and let the Deftech's and SVS do their thing. I guess she likes the semi portable aspect of it and above all she says she just wants it. She never questions anything I buy (Onyko/deftech/svs/etc/etc.......) so I feel obligated.

I haven't heard that B&W system? Anybody out there own this? Thanks.

CB750

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bill
Martin,

Far be it that any of us on this forum should be responsible for breaking up your marriage. Your wife has spoken and she wants that Bose system. Christmas is here pop the $250 and make her happy. She can listen to her Ipod/Bose and you will have a first class audio system all by your self.

werty7777

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Martin
I'm not giving up that easy!!!! As no one should! LOL. Was tooling around amazon and found Genevasound. http://www.amazon.com/GenevaSound-Docking-Station-iPhone-Black/dp/B00372563E/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1292698362&sr=8-1

Seems like a fairly expensive company. Anyone have any knowledge on their products? Thanks.

CB750

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bill
Martin

Sorry I can't help you as I don't even own an Ipod and if I did I would use it with headphones or connect it to my HT receiver. I have never heard of Geneva but the unit appears to have good reviews on Amazon with only one negative review. I take Amazon reviews with a grain of salt, and read a number of them and try to determine if the writer knows anything about the product and is just saying its cool or if they don't like it because they had shipping or billing problems.

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
I dislike Bose as much as the next guy, but that Geneva looks like a Studebaker. Get her what she wants and everyone will be happier.

Maybe get *another* dock for your stereo, so that she can pop it in there sometime and hear the better sound.

CB750

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bill
Martin,

I forgot to mention this in my last post, but as I remember your wife liked the Bose because it is portable and can also run on battery's. I am not sure the Geneva can do that. So if you force her into that you may have to install 120 V AC on you deck or patio when she wants take her Ipod outside. Remember outside of this forum Bose has fooled most of the public into believing Bose makes great stuff. I am sure most of her girlfriend will say "How cool Martin got you a Bose Ipod player".

werty7777

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Martin
Love the Studebaker comment! I understand the give her what she wants theories, but being I'm such a great husband I just cannot stand to spend our money on crap. :) Now with that said look at this beast...http://www.amazon.com/Kicker-Digital-Stereo-System-iPhone/dp/B002I529AY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1292746002&sr=8-1 This thing is ugly as the day is long. Way bigger than than the Bose but holy crap it sounds surprisingly good. I drove up to a certain store named Fry'* and checked it out and if you can get past the Batman looks of it it seems to be okay. We have plenty of outlets around the exterior of the house so I don't worry about the battery that this doesn't have. The passive radiator on the back of it really seems to add the lower end and with the Onkyo docks at around 120 it doesn't seem like that bad of a trade to give her sort of what she wants. Buying it tonight so I will let you guys know how it goes when it arrives next week.

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
I just cannot stand to spend our money on crap.

Here's the deal, although we dislike Bose, for the most part(*) it's not crap, it's just overpriced ordinary. (The exception to that is their expensive speakers that use paper drivers with a "Bass Module".) My brother bought a Wave, and it sounds fine. $150 too much for fine, but hey, it's just money.

The kicker looks better, but still very masculine. She won't be happy. I'm trying to save you from my Roomba mistake. Big, big mistake.

pegleg618

Auditioning
Real Name
Jack Perkins
The B&W Zeppelins are very good sounding "boomboxes" but you will pay for the sound. The Klipsch iGroove also sounds very nice. I personally have the Zeppelin and the Apple boombox and the B&W beats the Apple hands down but it is twice the price. They have a Zeppelin mini for $300 but I have not heard that one. Just my .02. Good luck.

werty7777

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Martin
Originally Posted by Al.Anderson

I'm trying to save you from my Roomba mistake. Big, big mistake.
Wow you too huh? That thing is just sitting in my den doing nothing. Maybe crap was a strong word, but when something is 30 to 50 percent overpriced I tend to get stronger with my words. Additionally those Sound docks really seem to provide nothing below say 400Hz (just guessing), so getting 2/3's of your music is pretty crappy. Guess it really depends what kind of music you listen to though. We will see what she thinks about it Wednesday when it arrives. Fingers crossed.

werty7777

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Martin
Okay it arrived on Wednesday and I have been rocking out to it the past couple days and it sounds pretty good. It gets loud!!!! There is slight distortion at the top end of the volume dial but unless you are having a house party and using this as the music no one should ever be listening at that loud of volume. I enjoy listening to everything loud as it is. There could be some improvement on the high end of the freq band but all in all it is a good buy for 2 and change.

My wife's first comments were, "Why is that so loud?" and "it's bigger than it looked online." She enjoys the sound just fine, not that either one of us has very discerning ears. It's a keeper in this household. Thanks all and I would recommend this to most anyone. 4.5 out of 5 for the price.

CB750

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bill
Martin,

Which one did you get? You have to remember that Ipod music is a compressed format when compared to CD or Vinyl. My guess it might be some where around FM in quality I guess it's the reason I don't own one.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks