bose info again

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by jeff cr, Mar 6, 2002.

1. jeff cr

jeff cr Agent

just wanted to let you guys in on something. i don't care for Bose and wouldn't buy them. i like Klipsch personally. i always hear about how expensive Bose and they are high priced but here is the kicker. my best friend works in the manufacturing dept. for jbl speakers and let me tell ya, those $600 floor standing jbl's cost the company about $130 to manufacturer(incl. parts and labor).the rest of the money goes to the name. believe me, all these high end manufacturers out there can build this stuff really cheap with the different manufacturing processes they have today. my friend tells me it takes them about 45 minutes to throw a pair of towers together. just wanted to let you in on this. to bad the prices for this stuff can't come down instead of going up all the time.

2. Wes C

Wes C Supporting Actor

Speakers are not expensive to mass produce. Shouldnt this thread be called JBL info?

3. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

Don't forget that $600 will include a 100+% markup by the retailer.

4. Jason Wilcox

Jason Wilcox Supporting Actor

yea, i get over 50% off all JBLs with my best buy employee discount. the markup on cables is far worse though.

5. Thomas_Berg

Thomas_Berg Screenwriter

Thomas
    yes, add 100% markup by Best Buy/whoever to the wholesale cost. say that $130-costing speaker is sold to BB at $175. the manufacturer only gets $45 per speaker to pay for engineering, design, man hours, advertising, etc. that's not a whole lot, especially considering how much research and development goes into making a good set of speakers. that's why the manufacturer will sell it for ~$250-300 instead of $175.

don't think that companies like JBL are ripping you off-- they AREN'T!! the differences between JBL and Bose are mainly: 1) JBL makes a good speaker, 2) JBLs are reasonably priced, 3) Bose speaker sets ~$1000+ cost about $100 tops to make and are not discounted, and 4) Bose spends MILLIONS each year on marketing instead of development/research. Bose rips you off; JBL does not.

6. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

So does that $130 include the following?
    • Overhead for the factory
    • Engineer salaries
    • Overhead and equipment for the engingeering lab
    • Advertising costs
    • Distribution costs
    • Profit for the company and it's stockholders
    • Salary for accountants, human resources, etc. needed to run a company?
    • etc. etc. etc.
    I didn't think so. [​IMG] It's not like these things aren't any less of a requirement than the actual raw materials of the speakers.

7. John Royster

John Royster Screenwriter

Its called business.

Interesting info though.