What's new

Bose has sued CEDIA over "Electronic Lifestyles" trademark! (1 Viewer)

Rick-S

Agent
I cannot say that I am disapointed in Bose because I don't have much respect to start with!

Someone else posted in another thread that Bose will probably sue the "Lifestyles" condom manufacturer next.

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
Now the question is, does the suit have legal merit? I would think Cedia had been contacted long ago regarding their use of that term and possibly there'd been meetings or discussions between principals on both sides. This kind of stuff goes on all the time with companies that're looking to protect trademarks and the like.

Doug Brewster

Second Unit
"Now the question is, does the suit have legal merit?"

To me, the question is, why are people so worried about this? If it's copywrite infringement, then Bose deserves compensation. How does that influence anyone's opinion of Bose? Whether or not their products are worth anything has nothing to do with whether or not they own the name of one product or another.

I just don't understand how wanting to protect their company's products makes them bad.

Now their tendency to produce products that are absolutely crap is another matter. I would not think that "Lifestyles" would be something of which they would be proud, but if they own the copywrite to that name then they should be allowed to protect it without anyone thinking less of them for having done so.

Tim K

Second Unit
but if they own the copywrite to that name then they should be allowed to protect it without anyone thinking less of them for having done so.
I think the point is that owning a trademarked word doesn't give you carte blanche to block anyone from ever using that word again. As long as a court feels that there is no potential for confusion (ie two completely different, unrelated products) then CEDIA can use the word....especially when a word is a very common term in the English language. In that case the trademark owner has ever fewer rights. CEDIA doesn't even produce anything, they are an industry group, how could there be confusion? And, the trademark process is a lengthy one involving alot of research and documentation. It wasn't an accident that CEDIA registered and received trademarks for the phrase "electronic lifestyles". If there was an issue with the word "lifestyles" being a Bose trademark, the patent office would have rejected CEDIA's filing then.

It is a baseless lawsuit and like every rediculous suit in this country it is filling up our courts with bullcrap cases. As for "thinking less" of Bose....that will be hard to do for many people! And they deserve it too for filing this rediculous suit.

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
Well, the patent office has had it's share of screwups...perpetual motion machines and the like...it'll be interesting to see where this winds up.

Rick-S

Agent
Tim K.

You said it WELL!!! My feelings exactly as far as "thinking less of Bose" goes.
Although this suit is ridiculous, its not half as ridiculous as that customers suit against McDonald's regarding the hot coffee!!!!

Doug Brewster

Second Unit
"I think the point is that owning a trademarked word doesn't give you carte blanche to block anyone from ever using that word again. As long as a court feels that there is no potential for confusion"

That is exactly what courts are meant to do. A court can very well "give you carte blanche to block anyone from ever using that word again", and Bose wouldn't be the first to have filed suit to acquire it.

"As for "thinking less" of Bose....that will be hard to do for many people!"

That's what I was objecting to. There is no reason to put Bose down for filing this lawsuit. It is only being done because people want another reason to dislike Bose. I think their products are reason enough, but if you want more reasons I would hope you'd find something more significant than this.

In the meantime, acquiring exclusive rights to "Lifestyles" will eventually allow everyone to associate poor quality with that word. It may replace "Micky Mouse" as a term for cheap, poorly organized and ineffective. Therefore, Bose could be known as a "Lifestyles" outfit. ;)

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
It makes me think less of Bose... I think any corperation
that plays such a petty game knows that marketing is more
thier strength than the product it's self..

Bose has no good products and thus they must sue anyone and
everyone to protect thier name, because that is ALL they
have..

I am sure they will loose the suit.. And if they do I hope
CEIDA turns around and blocks them from the organization.
Not like Bose ever had anything to contribute anyway.

terence

Supporting Actor
Well said Brett!

Not like Bose ever had anything to contribute anyway.
That's the problem. So go with what you think you have a name. I posted this for intersting reading not to hate Bose or find another reason to, because you see. I already hate everything about them, can't you see there is nothing left to hate.

Tim K

Second Unit
That's what I was objecting to. There is no reason to put Bose down for filing this lawsuit. It is only being done because people want another reason to dislike Bose. I think their products are reason enough, but if you want more reasons I would hope you'd find something more significant than this.
Yes, there is a reason to put down Bose. The same reason I have a fit when I read about people suing McDonald's because they spilled hot coffee on themselves or because they ate Big Mac's and got fat. We have every right to hate Bose for this. It is my, and others' opinions that Bose regularly files frivolous lawsuits. They waste the courts' time and the money of the defendants for nothing. They are simply a marketing and suing machine, and for that I dislike them. Every time I see a Bose claim about how great their products are or read about another silly lawsuit, I dislike them more.

Tim K

Second Unit
There are currently 171 trademarks on file using the word "Lifestyles". Is Bose going to sue them all? Did I mention the fact that Bose's trademark is actually on the word "Lifestyle" not "Lifestyles"? Well, there are 422 Trademarks (or service marks) registered for "Lifestyle". Yeah, thats what I call frivolous.

Should they sue Kathie Lee Gifford for using "Lifestyles by Kathie Lee" for her clothing line? (although, they are cheaply made crap as well so maybe there could be confusions).

Or Digital Lifestyles as Texas based home electronics and networking installer?

Or Hoover, or Eddie Bauer...

OH WAIT....let's see Bose's trademark...

Filing Date September 24, 1996
music systems consisting of a loudspeaker system and power amplifier and at least one of a CD player, tape player and radio tuner

and let's look at CEDIA...
Filing Date January 16, 1996
-consulting services, namely, providing technical assistance and advice in the field of electronics via a global communications network.
-educational services, namely, arranging and conducting conferences, seminars, workshops and classes in the field of electronics and distributing course materials therewith.
-printed publications, namely, pamphlets, newsletters, and magazines featuring electronics
-arranging and conducting trade show exhibitions in the field of electronics and related consultation therewith

Even though Bose has claimed "First use in commerce" in 1990, the fact that Bose's trademark is for Music systems and CEDIA's is for consulting, education, and exhibitions...just makes it all the more likely this is going to be tossed!

Doug Brewster

Second Unit
"Not like Bose ever had anything to contribute anyway."

Of the things Bose has contributed is the Sub-sat formula for speakers. Had it not been for them, other companies would not have developed decent products in that format. Their innovation is frequently what spurs others toward meeting needs of consumers.
If it wasn't for 301's and 901's alot of us would never have ventured into audio. Bose is frequently where people start (and seldom where those with any sense of high fidelity stay). Hating them doesn't change what they have contributed. But, again, there is enough in their product line to dislike without letting everything they do eat you up.

"They are simply a marketing and suing machine..."

If what you say about their frivolous lawsuits is accurate, how can there be any money to made by them? It's not a logical argument. They can't be making money suing people if they can't win the suits. It, in fact, would cost them money.

"I already hate everything about them, can't you see there is nothing left to hate."
"Every time I see a Bose claim about how great their products are or read about another silly lawsuit, I dislike them more."

You both need to work on that. It's obviously taking up too much of your time.

Just because you believe they're the worst company in the world doesn't make it true. Even if it was true, feeding your hate for them every time their name is mentioned is a waste of your time and everyone else's.

By the way, I am irritated every time someone who has an axe to grind about a certain product gets worked up for nothing. That's why I've spent so much time addressing this Bose issue lately. I'm done now. I just think it ridiculous to have a thread in a speaker forum dedicated to something that is in no way related to speakers. You're talking about a lawsuit and hate. Move on.

Rick-S

Agent
Someone has to pay for these so called "lawsuits" which are so frivolous in nature! Don't we, the consumer, foot the bill eventually as a result of higher insurance costs to the manufacturer?

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
Doug,

You are of course entitled to your opinion just as I am.
I don't loose sleep over Bose nor do I sit in a stark white
room devoid of any objects whilst I sit in the corner, frothing
at the mouth all the while muttering "I hate Bose".

When the topic arises you can bet your last dollar that I
will put in at least my two cents and perhaps more.

So Bose single handedly developed the Subwoofer/Satelite
market? Fraid not... Bose does not even market a "Subwoofer"
so I just blew that statement to hell.

There were numerous audio companies marketing small audio
solutions before Bose just look at some of the small wide
range speakers put out by Henry Kloss. The only thing Bose
did was wrap the satelites up in a package with a sub par
"woofer" and make it pretty for the ladies.

So ok in that respect yeah Bose invented W.A.F. for Audio
I will give you that much. As far as audiophiles starting
out with 901's and 501's I guess anyone can get suckered.
I wasn't an audiophile years ago when I heard my first pair
of 901's and they were as bad back then as they are today
or at least to my ears.

I can understand the need for a company to protect thier
name within reason. But so many times these suits that Bose
brings to court are far beyond reason. The sad part is that
they have the corporate muscle to push smaller companies
around most of the time.

But that does not take away from the fact that this is a
frivolous suit and I think anyone with half a functioning
brain can see that. I am sure the Courts will rule in favor
of CEIDA but the point is why should this be in the Court
in the first place? There is absolutely NO MERRIT to this
case and all they are doing is hurting (possibly) one of
the greatest organizations that exists for the consumer
electronics market.

Like I said above when it's all said and done I would love
to see Bose barred from EVER being a part of the group.

And then we can just add that to the blacklist that Bose
already has.. Hell Consumer Reports won't touch em.. None
of the reputable audio rags will either.. Everyone knows
not to play with fire or they might get BOSE'D :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown:

terence

Supporting Actor
You both need to work on that. It's obviously taking up too much of your time.
First of all Doug,

My hate for Bose does not take up a lot of my time. Also if i can help steer someone clear who ask about one of the most over rated, over priced crummy audio gear (if you even want to call it that) then i will. It's my right just as much as it yours to disagree with my post. So why don't you climb down that high horse of yours......wait let me get the ladder for you, and let agree to disagree.

Like i said ealiar, it was for interesting reading for all. The comment about it has no place here, why not Bose makes so called speakers, it's news and it's freakin laughable. They really think they have a case! PLEASE! Are kidding me!

Mike Wladyka

Supporting Actor
what is funny to me, is that if you look at Tim K's post #15...you can see the CEDIA actually filed before bose did!!

I hope the court sees that Bose is infringing on CEDIA's trademark, and makes Bose drop lifestyle

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks