Bose has a new Freestyle system.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by DerrickRemmert, Sep 20, 2002.

1. DerrickRemmert

It is the Bose 3-2-1 speakers, the 5.1 simulation "video stage" decoder and the sub without the DVD player. It runs for 500 dollars which is exactly half the price of the 3-2-1. I can't comment on the sound quality but it amazes me that BOSE is charging 500 dollars more for a DVD player that does not have a component video connection or progressive scan capabilities.

2. steve nn

steve nn Cinematographer

GOOD OLD BOSE. We can count on them can't we? They remind me of the Co. I work for. Lots of marketing and gimmicks.

3. Grant B

Grant B Producer

Considering they charge $800 for a clock radio, $500 seems reasonable for a crappy dvd player
    My brother InLaw has a all in one unit and the DVD player is more picky than a CEO in a $2 whorehouse
    Discs that play fine on my units would not play at all!!
    PT Barnum LIVES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. MikeH1

MikeH1 Screenwriter

And it will sell like hot cakes...

5. Chris Brown

Chris Brown Stunt Coordinator

-
    Do you think it's possible Bose will ever make a "Good" product? I just wonder sometimes if just because they have made crap in the past we are not even giving them a chance...

I for one like to try each and every speaker with an open mind regardless of brand and past history.

6. DerrickRemmert

Chris, I'm was making a comment on the cost of their DVD player. If you'll read my entire message you will see I make no opinion of the sound quality of the speakers in question. If you think 500 dollars is a reasonable cost for a DVD player without progressive scan or component connections then by all means purchase the 3-2-1 and try it out.

7. DanaA

DanaA Screenwriter

Wow, that is a hefty charge for a DVD player that isn't progressive scan and doesn't even allow the user to use component cable. [​IMG] If anyone was interested, and there will be, the definite way to go would be to go for the lower priced unit and buy something like a Toshiba, Sony, or Panasonic DVD player.
    Anyway, I'm still going to consider the Bose plastic spoon. It's down from $38 to only $26 because you can now buy it without the plastic fork. And, yes, it meets the WAF because it comes in white too.
    This also is not a commentary on the speakers themselves. If they make someone happy, that's great. It is a commentary on their pricing and marketing though.

8. Chris Brown

Chris Brown Stunt Coordinator

-
    Derrick, I wasn't responding to anyone's post in particular.

9. Gary King

Gary King Second Unit

Chris,

Not so long as their current PoR is profitable. Why would they spend millions of dollars researching sound reproduction when people are lining up to spend thousands of dollars on speakers roughly the same build and sound quality of a decent computer sub/sat system?

10. Robert_Gaither

Robert_Gaither Screenwriter

All I can say for Bose is that they better hope that KLH doesn't ever make speakers in white, then people will be able to direct compare them in person and really see what those of us on this forum site refers to a cheap build quality.