What's new

Bose for rears (1 Viewer)

Kenny Li

Agent
Okay, I have read a lot of things about Bose and I really don't want to start another Bose thread, but I have yet to see someone comment on using Bose speakers for surrounds. I've read that Bose are terrible as fronts and centers, but I'm wondering, for their size, would they work as surrounds? I have an asymmetrical room making it really tough to place surround speakers, so I thought ceiling mounting Bose speakers as surrounds might be a possibility. What do you think?

My other speakers will be:
Mains - B&W DM603 S3
Center - B&W LCR600 S3

Lev-S

Second Unit
I had a pair once. They went back promptly for the same brand that I was using for the F/C/SW. They sounded decent, but not for the price I paid for them ($200 - $300) Canadian. The only reason that I picked them up in the first place was because my primary choice (which was cheaper and better sounding BTW) was unavailable. I was using all Polk, and if you are using all B&W, they probably won't gel too well. I say no.:thumbsdown:

Chuck Schilling

Stunt Coordinator
I think it would be a terrible match with your mains/center. That dreadful shrill and tinny characteristic of the cubes will be only that much worse as it contrasts with the smooth, warm and rich sounds from the front of your soundstage. In fact, were I in your shoes, I'd rather have no surround speakers whatsoever than to try to pair the Bose cubes with your B&W's.

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
What Bose speakers are you talking about? If you are speaking of their cubes, I beleive they need to be used with one of their "bass modules" because they need to have the bass filtered out quite high, since they are so small. This will cost quite a bit of $$ for a setup of these.

If you are talking about using some older bose bookshelves that you have hanging around, go right ahead. I have some old 201s, and while they aren't even close to the meager paradigms i have now, they would be fine for surround duty. I would try to upgrade them later on, but I wouldn't *NOT* use them just because everyone flames bose all the time. FYI, my old bose 201s are sitting in a closet, but i have enough WAY better speakers to cover all the channels i need and more. ;)

So, in conclusion, if you are considering very small, or buying new, then definitely don't get the bose cubes. There are much better smaller speakers that you can find for surround duty, that will probably be much cheaper as well, since you won't need to use a bose "bass module." If you already have bose that you want to use for this purpose, I'd go ahead and use them until you can try to upgrade later.

:emoji_thumbsup:

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
I have always thought 301's sounded good (ceiling mount may be a chore...I guess you are talking about an Acoustimas set up???), and with the ability to aim the tweeter would make a good surround speaker; particularly if you are able to aim it at a wall. Should produce a decent ambient sound field.

Have never tried it, so consider that just speculation on my part. Then again, I am also running B&W's starting with 604 mains. When I decided I wanted to upgrade my non-B&W center and rears, I hunted down a CC6 and a pair of 601s.

I am now 100% convinced that matching or near matching speakers are the way to go, if you can do it.

Having said that, there are lots of small, high quality monitors (NHT SuperZero's comes to mind) that could also be mounted on a wall or ceiling with various mounting devices. Assuming you have a sub and are crossing them over, it should be doable.

BGL

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
They would sound like absolute hell with your B&Ws. For a small ceiling mounted speaker get yourself some B&W 302s and some speaker mounts.

Kenny Li

Agent
Thank you all for your replies. It seems unanimous that I should stay away from using Bose speakers (Acoustimass 3) as my rears. Originally, I thought to use B&W DM600 S3s for my rears, but my interior designer suggested that I hunt for smaller speakers to ceiling mount from a design standpoint.

Anyway, do you guys have any suggestions as to what speakers I should look at as a compromise for both sound and design? Actually, if you have any suggestions for mains and a center, that would be great too.

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
I agree with Philip and the other posts. IMHO, the imaging between the two would suffer greatly. Years ago I considered purchasing Boses bookshelf speakers and even though the bass extension wasn't bad, the sound was quite harsh. As recently as July, I was in a hot dog store in Pittsburgh, some you Pennsylvanians know it as The Original O", and they had some of the same Bose speakers I've seen. Well standing under them produce some decent bass but since I was waiting for my greasey fries:) I positioned myself in between the two speakers. The bass disappeared, and the imaging was terrible. Now it sounds like the had them in Phased of each other but terrible. Wait and save for some matching B&Ws or smaller or any speakers in the same class.

Kenneth Harden

Screenwriter
Your interior designer works for YOU. B&W speakers are simply stunning to look at. They are not cheap little boxes. Get nice stands if they are on the floor, otherwise, there are plenty of mounts for them.

Living in Hong Kong, I am sure you will get your buddies drooling when they see them, as hi-end audio seems to be a passion in the wealthier parts of South East Asia.

Rory Buszka

Supporting Actor
Interior designers don't have ears, only eyes. Never let an interior designer define what speakers you listen to. It's their job to make them either look tasteful or make them disappear.

Have you considered in-ceiling speakers?

Kenny Li

Agent
Thank you all for your ideas. Now that's something I never thought about - in ceiling. I've thought of in wall, but not in ceiling. Does in ceiling work well for surrounds since they'll be aimed down? How is it compared with floorstanding rears? That'll be the perfect solution. Any suggestions on the B&W range to match my other speakers? One last question. Would you suggest getting all my speakers in ceiling/in wall?

Thank you all. BTW, audiophiles in HK are insane. I swear, normal people will drool at my setup, but the audiophiles here will laugh at it's simplicity. I've never seen so many equipment packed into such tiny sized rooms.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
In-ceiling speakers are cool if you can run the wires. I've got some Proficients in my house in various places. They don't sound that great so I wouldn't go with them for the mains, but they are fine for surrounds IMO.

Would you consider used? The Polk RM3 speakers have good ratings and built-in mounts to put in corners between wall and ceiling. They're a few years old, MSRP was close to $300/pair; I picked up a pair in prime condition (in white; they come in black or white) for $65- on eBay. Posting a wanted ad on this forum and others like Audiogon may net you a pair for the same or better price. Good luck.

Kenny Li

Agent
I'm thinking of getting everything new. Plus I've also heard that it's better to stick to the same brand and I'm thinking of using B&Ws.

Yeah, I'm lucky none of those guys are my friends, so among my friends, I will have a very sweet setup and I won't be pressured into getting too expensive a setup.

Thank you all. I can't wait until March when I'll finally move into a new apartment with a sweet HT setup.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks