What's new

BOSE for my HT (1 Viewer)

Jason Hammerly

Supporting Actor
Try here for Energy ... they are a shop in Canada. Remember that those prices are Canadian, so you can get the original take5's and 8" sub for maybe $450 US. I here they are great to work with as well. Just an idea.

Dale B

Stunt Coordinator
I own the am-6 system and am very happy with it.I have a powered sub to go along with it. For 600 dollars I think it is a bargain for such large sound out of such a small speaker. I know I will be cut to shreds but tell me where you can get such a large sound from a 2.5 inch driver?

Henry Carmona

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry Carmona
quote: I know I will be cut to shreds but tell me where you can get such a large sound from a 2.5 inch driver?[/quote]
Dale, no one is going to tear you to shreds for being misinformed, it happens to all of us.
The thing is, that for the same price you can get a more complete sound.
I dont mind saying that some Bose speakers sound alright, but plastic enclosures and paper 2.5" drivers are no where near the price most pay for them.
There is also the issue of not getting the full frequency range from many if not all Bose cube packages. I dont know what subwoofer you have, but there is a big gap in there where the "cube arrays" dont extend far enough down for the bass enclosure (or whatever they call it) to take up the rest.
In otherwords, you are probably missing out on some very important frequencies somewhere around 200hz.
Some one help me out here :)
------------------
RobertDuvall.jpg
"Charlie don't surf."
[Edited last by Henry Carmona on July 25, 2001 at 09:30 PM]
[Edited last by Henry Carmona on July 25, 2001 at 09:32 PM]
[Edited last by Henry Carmona on July 25, 2001 at 10:59 PM]

Steve_D

Second Unit
Henry,
Hey something is wrong with my system also! I can't get it to produce a thing at 200Khz! Now, 200 Hz, that's another thing entirely!
laugh.gif

Anyway, this is what you were referring too:
Bose AM-15 SATELLITES BASS MODULE
Frequency Response:
Sats- 280 Hz to 13.3 kHz ±10.5 dB
Bass module- 46 Hz to 202 Hz ±2.3 dB
Sensitivity (SPL at 1 meter)* 85.1 dB N/A
Impedance (minimum/nominal) 5.3/8 ohms N/A
Bass Limits (-3/-6 dB) 280/220 Hz
Above I posted the S&V test results from your AM15 cubes. Note a few things.
1) Where is the 200 through 280 HZ range? Neither the satellites nor the bass module cover it!
2) +-10.5 DB for the satellites! only up to 13.3 KHZ?
3) Sensitivity is way low for their market segment.
Here's another review, I couldn't say it better myself!http://www.geocities.com/trustnoho/bose.htm
------------------
Link Removed
[Edited last by Steve_D on July 25, 2001 at 10:16 PM]

Henry Carmona

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry Carmona
HAHAHA :)
Khz my bad... uh no wait, i was referring to those of us that can comunicate with bats, yeah.
------------------
RobertDuvall.jpg
"Charlie don't surf."

TomH

Second Unit
Listen to the Bose system and then listen to small speakers from some of the names mentioned above. It should be immediately obvious that there is "something missing" from the Bose sound. You can do better at half the price.

Dean DeMass

Screenwriter
Def Tech Pro Cinema
Klipsch Quintets
Energy Take 5
These three are head and shoulders above anything BOSE can do.
-Dean-
------------------
Link Removed
"I've seen you and you are not cool."

John_Bonner

Supporting Actor
Jason,
I have the Energy Take 5 system with the Energy e:XLS10 subwoofer in a room about the same size as yours. My neighbor has the Bose Acoustimass system and he will admit that the Energy's sound much better (and the Bose cost more than double). We both have the same receiver (Denon AVR-2800) so that's not the difference.
One of the biggest drawbacks to the Bose system is the "bass module" (you can't call it a subwoofer). We sampled the same scene from the U-571 DVD (the Depth Charge scene) and there was absolutely no comparison. The Energy sub rocked the house!
As far as vendors, I used these guys Link Removed as have many other people in the forum and was very pleased with the prices and customer service. Since the Energy Take 5.1 are being replaced with the Take 5.2 you can probably find some good deals on the 5.1 system (try Ebay). Good Luck!
------------------
JB
"These go to eleven" - Nigel Tufnel

Glen_L

Stunt Coordinator
Here is a deal you can't beat.
Until the end of the month, hifi.com is offering $150 off any speaker system valued $359 or more. Check out the Cambridge SoundWorks MovieWorks 408 system from this page . These are very small cubes, which you seem to be looking for, and have reviewed very well from audioreview.com (for what that's worth) at this page .
So, you'll get a full 5.1 speaker system that they normally charge $450 for $300. To top that off, they're offering free shipping, and have a VERY generous 45 day money back guarantee. If you don't want them for any reason, they'll refund you in full and pay shipping both ways.
It seems like a no-lose situation to me.

BryanZ

Screenwriter
By now everyone else has chimed in about why you shouldn't get the Bose. My $0.02 reason: you'll realize a couple of months after you bought them why you shouldn't have bought them.
Anyways here are some alternatives:
marble nOrh 4.0s - granted they are expensive but odds are the wife will want to show them off. They exude class.
Def Tech Pro Cinema - good speakers. You likely won't be disappointed.
Gallo Acoustics Micro - may work for the wife. Much better sound than Bose. However, they will still be outperfomed by good bookshelf speakers.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
John, I heard that Audioshop in Canada stopped selling Energy products to the US some months back. The word is that Energy was not pleased with Audioshop discounting their products so heavily to the US market, and Audioshop could have lost its authorized dealer status as a result. Maybe others can are more familiar with this situation. Anyway, I ordered a pair of Energy e:XL 16 bookshelf speakers from Audioshop last November for a second system for only $248 USD delivered. That's a truly outstanding price. Now, the first pair had a defective speaker, but Audioshop was very responsive. They paid for return shipping of the first pair and sent me a new pair very quickly. If they can sell to the US, I would deal with them in a heartbeat.
------------------
My:
HT Pics ; Equipment List ; DVD Collection ; LD Collection
KeithH: Saving the Home Theater World Before Bedtime

John_Bonner

Supporting Actor
I heard that Audioshop in Canada stopped selling Energy products to the US some months back. The word is that Energy was not pleased with Audioshop discounting their products so heavily to the US market, and Audioshop could have lost its authorized dealer status as a result
Wow! That sux! I also would've bought from them again with no hesitation.
------------------
JB
"These go to eleven" - Nigel Tufnel

Phil Iturralde

Screenwriter
If you want a speaker that has flatter response as . . .
1) LOW as 89 Hz -2.7 dB
or
2) HIGH as 18.9 kHz -2.7 dB (overall = ±2.7 dB)
(Sound & Vision: The left/right front speakers were averaged over a ±30° window, with double weight given to the most common listening angle, 30° — Tom Nousaine)
Than the:
Paradigm Cinema CINEMA V.1front left/right.... 125 Hz to 20 kHz ±5.2 dB
graph.gif

Klipsch Quintet front left/right.... 188 Hz to 20 kHz ±3.4 dB
KLIP_G_.jpg

Energy Take 5.2 Take 2.2 front left/right.... 110 Hz to 16.3 kHz ±4.5 dB
0601testrep_graph.gif

and can play @ Cinema REF Level without sounding strained or muddy, then you want to audition the
http://www.geocities.com/p_iturra/Misc_HT_Speakers.html
w/any** power-sub!
** The JBL has lower bass extension than any of the three above @ -2.7dB (±30°) and that means that a seamless blend between the sub and satellites - (no audible hole between the lower bass frequency and upper mid-bass frequency).
A great bargain @ Link Removed

Ryan_B

Agent
I'm not going to complain about BOSE (everyone else has done that for me.). But, I would suggest that you audition the M&K M-5 series speakers. I think they run about $150 a piece and they are about the size of a beanie baby (that is what they had next to one in the recent HT Mag.). I've had the chance to listen to these little wonders and I would suggest them to anyone who needs small speakers with a punch. Especially to gain WAF.
------------------
We are living in a mental transformation space; that is, an omnidimensional halo expanding toward infinity in all directions. And the electronic center of this halo of mentation is possibly everywhere. It is all available to you right where you are sitting now. Just plug in a terminal. The machine doesn't care who or what you are.
-Robert Anton Wilson
From the book: Right Where You Are Sitting Now
[Edited last by Ryan_B on July 28, 2001 at 02:29 PM]

Kieran Coghlan

Second Unit
Phil Iturralde:
Why do you have such a problem with the Take5 system? You've developed an entire web page devoted to proving how much worse the Take5 system is than the JBL's... why not just recommend the JBL's? Geeeze... Did a Take5 satellite kill your sister or something?
Not since the Bose AM/Lifestyle speakers have I seen some one so hell bent on putting down a speaker system. On your web site, you highlight all these negative comments taken from reviews of the Energy system.... every one of those comments apply to ALL small speakers in general, including the JBL's.
BTW, I've heard those JBL's and I don't care for them at all... most people consider the Energy's to be very "bright" i.e. emphasizing the higher octave, but those JBL's are more than bright, I'd call them HARSH. This is JMO, though... YMMV. I'm not going to say the suck or anything though... some people may like them (you obviously do).
BTW (again) ... :) you can get the entire Take5 system with sub for $550 shipped fromwww.soundpros.com and it's also available onhttp://www.wholesaleconnection.com/ for about the same price ($299 for the speakers, $199 for the sub, plus shipping). So, the JBL's don't really beat the Takes for price (close to the same MSRP, close to the same internet price). As for sound quality, that's up to the listener, and no amount of S&V graphs can prove otherwise.
------------------
-Kieran
My HT Page

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks