What's new

Bose Connectivity? (1 Viewer)

rockon

Auditioning
Real Name
Bing
Hello fellas

I'm new to this board and this is my first post and have a few queries about my Bose Lifestyle 12.

My Bose has recently stopped working and am wondering if I would be able to safely connect the Bose cube speakers (without the risk/fear of frying them) to another receiver that I am using for the moment. My receiver is a Technics Sa-Gx670 (it's old but still works/sounds great paired with JBL LX44 speakers).

Also does anyone knows the ratings (ohm impedance, watts, etc.) for my cube speakers and would it be also possible to connect the Acoustimass (bass module) to my receiver?

Any help would be deeply appreciated.

Thanks

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Bose really doesn't like to give away that kind of information. Their web site is useless for finding specs. I know many of their car stereo's head units and speakers are 2 0hm. Wouldn't surprise me if their home stuff is 2 ohm as well. I sure wouldn't plug anything in to that Technics 'till I knew for sure. Know anyone with an ohm meter?

rockon

Auditioning
Real Name
Bing
Well, I just read on a webpage that the cube speakers are rated at 5-6 ohms and my receiver takes 4-16 ohms.

I in fact have asked the Bose service center here in my location and was told that the cube speakers can be connected to a receiver but, it would eventually fry the tweeters. I am taking this advice with a grain of salt and would like to hear a second opinion.

The back panel of the bass module doesn't help much since all its got written on it are left, right, center, sorround speakers for the connectors and a socket to connect it to the main unit and the power supply and that's about it.

It's just that I feel that it's such a waste just seeing my 5.1 speakers and bass module sitting there collecting dusts.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
I think Bose does these things so you have to replace things that break with their products. You might get away with connecting the cubes, but I think Bass Module has the amplifier in it so I wouldn't connect it to your Technics.

FeisalK

Screenwriter
gene c - my sub has an amplifier in it, and i connect it to my receiver. in fact most HT systems have active subwoofers.

I think the cubes can be used with any receiver if they are 6Ω

the problem, though, may be the proprietary connection B*se uses into the bass module. the cable carries the signals for all the channels and will not fit into the receiver LFE out. I suppose if you can isolate the sub channel in that cable, you can make a RCA connection on one end and hook it up to the receiver.

unfortunately you are still stuck with the freq range of the cubes and bass module, and that response hole between 202Hz and 280Hz
[url=https://static.hometheaterforum.com/imgrepo/0/05/htf_imgcache_5119.jpeg] [/url]

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
FeisalK, for some reason I had it in my mind that his "old" Technics was a two channel stereo without a sub out. I was also thinking about the cable and the frequency gap, 150-280 (those cubes only go to 280?) if he kept the cubes and replaced the Module with a powered sub. I would think his best bet is to try and replace the Bose part that broke, or try and sell the rest and start over.

rockon

Auditioning
Real Name
Bing
Gene c, I think you hit the nail right on the head. The tech person that I talked to told me something about the frequencies being different with my cubes and with my receiver therefore, rending them incompatible. I was told that simply hooking up my cubes direct to the receiver would have too much power going thru the cubes, frying it in the process. They must be telling the truth after all.

Feisalk, you are correct when you mentioned that my "old" Technics not having a sub-out. I had a look at it's back and I can't find any connectors for a sub. Though my receiver has Pro-Logic capability, in fact it was one of the first receivers that has Pro-Logic function when Dolby Sorround where just first starting to break into the market.

I think I'll just send my unit to the service center and sell it when it gets fixed. Once sold, I might buy a Harmon-Kardon and pair it with a set of Cerwin Vega speakers. What do you fellas think of this setup?

I'm beginning to see now why audio enthusiasts seem to hate Bose. It cost me so much money to buy it in the first place and now I cannot even use the parts for my other setup. Bummer.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
I'm not quite as big of a Bose basher as some others around here but I think you will be better off in the long run. The biggest thing for me is they ask the Bass Module to go so high up the frequency ladder that you can here vocals coming out of it. I'm sorry you have to go thru all this, but one day you'll have some new toys to play with. But check with us first before you buy! I have a couple of H/K's but FeisalK really seems to like the digital Panasonics.

FeisalK

Screenwriter
*LOL* I think we've done quite well not bashing Bose outright in this thread but I agree with fixing and selling it on :)

rockon, you'll probably get a good price on it, too. I knew someone who wanted to expand his lifestyle system to a 6.1 and they said $180 for ONE cube.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
I've tried to keep things in check after my embarrassing rant against htib's a few months ago. I think the reason I'm not to harsh on Bose is because I really don't know that much about them. But the more I learn....

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
Bing: After writing a long post on how to hook up the Bose cubes to your Technics receiver and then seeing all the disclaimers I had to throw in (partly because of Bose's stinginess with printing full specifications) I realized it wouldn't be any fun using such a system!

And the bass module contains the amps for *all* the speakers in these Lifestyle systems, so IMO it would not be able to be used as a standalone sub with a receiver's subwoofer output.

So if you can swing it, I would go with the Harmon/Kardon and Cerwin-Vega idea.........or any other receiver and speaker combination to be honest.

BTW: Cerwin-Vega receives a lot of hostility on most audio forums since their traditionally-designed models aren't paragons of subtleness and fine detail resolution, but they are fun to listen to IMO ("fun" is not in most militant audiophiles' vocabulary). Though their new-ish "CLS" series are built much differently and should sound more refined and produce more detail* but still retain a good chunk of previous CV's high efficiency. If I could find a pro review of them I would post it, but large speakers like these aren't "sexy" like the currently fashionable plastic satellite-type speakers (which IMHO also sound thin and wimpy in comparison, no matter what price point they are) so magazines probably are hesitant to review them for fear of turning off subscribers & advertisers.......which basically means nothing as far as how they actually sound.

Anyhoo........I think the Bose system would be a waste of time to try to salvage and repairing it would be cost prohibitive.

* for a clue to this (and for the CV bashers who never seem to read spec pages), they use a soft-dome tweeter which I have NEVER seen CV use and this tweeter also includes a copper shorting ring (reduces distortion) which usually only more upscale companies use; also, this tweeter is made by Vifa, a respected Danish manufacturer not known for cheesy or crude sounding drivers. Also, this series was designed by an engineer who used to work for Link Removed and overseen by a guy formerly employed by Revel. The CLS series can also be bi-amped if one desires smoother mid/high frequencies if used with such an amp.

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
I'll be more blunt, as I loath Bose as a company: dump the Bose and look for better speakers/subs and consider waiting for a receiver that is HDMI 1.3 compatible with all the features necessary for Blu-Ray (should start rolling out by late spring).

There are many speaker choices to look at that are far superior to Bose any day of the week and twice on Sunday. Budget wisely, and put the bulk of your money into speakers as they will last through many equipment upgrades if you buy right.

Thomas_A

Second Unit
I ran those ugly cubes for years on my yamaha stereo with no issues and no damage to the darn things. I did however...have them running off my sub so the signal they were getting was probably cut off @80hz. I had the 5.1 system and hated the bass module...so just ran them off the other sub!

anyway.. still best to fix and ditch. good luck

rockon

Auditioning
Real Name
Bing
Lance, it's gonna cost me around USD200 or more just trying to get my Bose fixed by a bonafide service center. Looks like I have to wait for awhile till I save enough money just for me to have it fixed, sheesh. You are right on that assumption.

It's a pity since IMHO the Bose really puts out incredible sound. The 3D soundscape that it produced was just so mind-boggling.

I will always remember the time when I was watching T2 with a bunch of little kids and this was on VCD format, man I nearly sh*t myself and the kids jumped out of their seats scared witless when a cyborg stepped on a human skull at the beginning of the movie. The sound that came out of the Bose then was so crunchingly stupendous. The sound just spread from the center right all round the back in a bone-chilling fashion. Now I think that's what a 3D sound like when reproduced properly.

I recently had a pair of Cerwin Vega tested and it's a 100 watts pair of speakers and to my delight, the sound was really clear and crisp. The store guy had the Indigo Girls in concert on and I'd swear I felt like I was actually there. The sound was so lifelike. This was also hooked up with a Cerwin Vega sub on a Onkyo ( a class above their level-entry model). I think Harmon/Kardon would even do a better job since it puts out more power to the speakers.

Dan Hitchman, just what exactly is a HDMI 1.3 compatible and what are the advantages of Blu-Ray (besides higher storage capacity) over a standard DVD?

Gene C, I appreciate you trying to contain yourself.:)

Anywayz, I am quite happy with my "old" Technics and JBL speakers for the moment. Man, those JBL speakers sure could take a lot of beatings. It's been moved from another country, bumped and bruised and left to rot and collect dusts and yet it's still sounds great as the day I first had it almost twenty years ago now.I think that's how long I have 'em, it's been so long I can't rightfully remember. I just had to change the cone-edges (since they have simply disintegrated from old age) and now they're good as new.

Edit:
Thomas A: D'you think it be possible to connect the cubes to my Z-680 Logitech sub? Please don't say that the cubes are ugly, I find them downright sexy, specially the newer models. :cool:

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
:emoji_thumbsup:

These Pioneer CS-99As are 33 years old and work perfectly (LOVE digipak is for size comparison), though I am thinking of replacing the capacitors in the crossover network since some types of caps can age over time and alter the crossover's operating characteristics. FYI: the lack of foam surrounds on the drivers contributes to their longevity (these use cloth). Bought both for $20(!!) at a garage sale last May.

As large as these guys are, their bass response rolls off quickly below 100Hz (these use acoustic-suspension enclosures) because these were the days when the Japanese speaker manufacturers seem to be having a war to see who could cram as many drivers in one cabinet as possible and apparently the largest as possible as well!

I think that dark ring on the woofer cone is some sort of chemical that has oozed from the glue used on the surround.

rockon

Auditioning
Real Name
Bing
From the grille design, yeh looks like it came out in the 1970's. That is sure one big mutha. :eek:

For some reason, I never liked Pioneer much, don't know why. What is the wattage on 'em monsters? I'm amazed that it doesn't have controls on them as well. Will you be using them for your rear sorrounds?

BTW how do I post screenshots (sorry for the lame question)?

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
CS99A's spec page, scanned from its manual:

Despite the relative lack of *low* bass, when the volume is turned up these things with their 15" woofers can still literally shake the walls. Bass guitars, most drums and synthesizers are well defined & provide an especially visceral experience that my Boston Acoustics CR9s (single 8" woofer) + sub cannot touch.

Right now these are part of a stereo-only music/HT system in our living room (my surround system got "voted out" last year - "too much geeky stuff & its kinda ugly" they said - and is now in a bedroom - :frowning:). I had to admit these speakers blended right in with the furniture and IMO actually add to the decor.

On the back there are 3-position level controls, one each for the mids and tweeter.

FYI: those pretty lattice-work grills are made of bent wood strips - holy cow can you imagine the labor costs to make these nowadays?!

The only thing that is really noticeably lacking is that stereo imaging is not very coherent i.e. instruments/vocals/etc are rather smeared. I'm pretty sure it has much to do with placing the two midrange drivers in a horizontal configuration (same reason most modern 2-way center channels usually have lumpy horizontal dispersion & why better CCs have a separate midrange along with a tweeter in a vertical configuration + two woofers on either side).

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
This site has a bunch of the vintage Japanese speakers I mentioned above, plus more recent American gear (I don't know these people - this is just for info purposes). While most subs definitely *can* go lower, for music many of these speakers will do fine by themselves IMO and in a weird way, any bass inaccuracies are easy to deal with mentally-speaking because you can't place these as easily as a sub (i.e. with these you have to put them where imaging is best) so the bass you get.......is what you get! Though an EQ could help if the bass is truly objectionable.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks