Bose AM 15

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by MichelVdb, Feb 22, 2003.

1. MichelVdb

MichelVdb Auditioning

This might sound stupid but I own the Bose AM 15 ( with powered accoustimass module), how can I be sure I'm experimenting true LFE effects and no simple bass ?[​IMG]

2. Rob Rodier

Rob Rodier Supporting Actor

In the options menu on your receiver, set the subwoofer to "off" and the front speakers to "large". That is as good as you are going to get.

You could also add a cheap powered subwoofer like a sony wm-40 (

3. Rory Buszka

Rory Buszka Supporting Actor

Well, you can look at measurements. The bass module can only ever be expected to hit 49 Hz. The bass module reaches up to 800 Hz. A true home theater subwoofer should be expected to reach from 20-100 Hz, and response below 20 is always a big plus. Your Acoustimass module will not even play the lowest note on an electric bass...only its higher harmonics. Bose knows that when the higher harmonics are present, the brain tends to fill in that particular bass note. But you still lack the experience of true low bass that can only be provided by a true subwoofer.

The other thing about the Acoustimass design is that is uses a special type of bandpass subwoofer that sacrifices tightness for output. Your bass module probably really stands out in the room because it booms and it booms but it doesn't deliver details in bass. Even the newer transmission line bass modules (with direct-radiating, long-excursion woofers and what looks like a really long, folded port) have boomy bass. Bose impresses people with how their bass sounds real loud because you hear boom, but not quality tone like you get from a properly-designed subwoofer. Another thing to note is that your bass module is only 50 watts.

You would be best in getting rid of the Acoustimass system (sell it on eBay--they keep their resale value for whatever reason) and going to Home Theater Direct (HTD) at http://www.hometheaterdirect.com/ and buyng a set of 5 "Middies". These are very small satellite speakers that can be used witn a normal subwoofer and are only a little taller (a few inches) than a double-stacked Bose-Cube speaker. They are also available in white and black finishes. Their enclosures are made of medium-density fiberboard (high-quality) and their drivers are coated 2.5" midbass drivers with a dome tweeter. The dome tweeter does highs so much better than any cone driver and the midbasses reach down to 100 Hz in the tuned enclosure. By contrast, the Bose cubes are made of thin plastic which resonates (that's a bad thing when going for hi-fi) and all frequencies are handled by a 2.5" cone. The cone driver doesn't even go much above 11kHz (20kHz is the minimum for true Hi-Fi) and the bass from the cone only does gown to 280 Hz. There is actually a gap in the Acoustimass system's frequency response between 200 and 280 Hz. There is a peak at 7kHz to make the sound seem "crisp". The rest of the cubes' frequency response looks like a mountain range. By contrast, the HTD Middies have a reasonably-flat frequency response (which is ideal for any listening). You are much better off buying the HTD Middies and the HTD Level One subwoofer (which features a 10" driver) than you are with the over-priced, cheaply-made Bose system.

http://www.intellexual.net/bose.htm

that website has an even more in-depth review of your specific Bose Acoustimass-15 sound system.

Just a little bathroom reading for you. Enjoy.

4. Jose G

Jose G Supporting Actor

Rory,
    Great post[​IMG] People like you are what make this forum a terrific place to frequent...though it may get some of us in trouble with our better half [​IMG]

I've read that Boss review at http://www.intellexual.net/bose.htm and it's a very good read...though my computer doesn't reach my bathroom
    [​IMG]