Bose Alternative

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by CalvinCarr, Apr 27, 2004.

1. CalvinCarr

CalvinCarr Supporting Actor

Here's the deal. My wife approved the Sony 60XBR950 LCD but she wants new speakers to go with it. Right now I'm rockin an older Sony STR545 with plans to upgrade to a new reciever in the 4K price range next year but only if I don't have to get a Bose system for her. My brother has one and she likes the way it sounds and looks. So with that in mind what should WE (her)go audition to make HER (me) happy?

2. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

You might check out some of the better looking bookshelf/sattelite speakers systems. I assume that she likes the small size of the cubes.

What is your budget? If you a going for a $4K receiver, I’m guessing that your speaker budget is pretty substantial also.

ACI makes beautiful wood cabinets in a wide choice of finishes and they are also top-notch in the sound department. You should check out Rockets (either the ELT system or their bookshelf offerings). Not so many finishes as ACI, but equally fine cabinetwork. And great sound.

AV123’s Reference series really ought to please your wife. Their monitors are not exactly cheap, but they look stunning and sound even better.

Get back with that budget and we should have some more suggestions.

3. CalvinCarr

I was looking around 4k for the speakers also. I have bookshelves for the rear now and she hates stands. She really wants in the cieling or in walls.[​IMG]

4. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

Calvin, in your price range I would highly recommend checking out ACI.

Their semi-custom models are designed for custom 'in-wall' or 'i'-cabinet' installation. Check out some of these installations here.

If you are not familiar with ACI, they have been in business for almost 30 years and have been selling direct the entire time. They have an outstanding reputation for sound, cabinet quality and customer service. If your wife does not like these, she has a very high standard indeed.

5. BobAlbano

BobAlbano Second Unit

I agree with Lew here...

I would contact Mike D over at ACI as his products and service are first class...[​IMG]

6. SethH

SethH Cinematographer

Take a look at the B&W FPM series. I have yet to hear them, but am a fan of B&W in general. The FPM series are flat speakers made to look good with plasma and lcd screens. They're expensive, but I believe in your price range and even though I haven't heard them I'll go ahead and assure you that they will sound better than the bose!

7. CalvinCarr

For the in cielings do they come with some kind of backing enclosure?

8. Philip>L

Philip>L Stunt Coordinator

You should also check out Thiel's inwall and Powerpoint speakers...

9. Andrew*L

Andrew*L Agent

Many speaker companies now offer in-wall / in-ceiling speakers, along with their regular lines. I've heard speakers from the following two companies and liked them very much, but I have not heard their in-wall / in-ceiling products:

Linn Inwall Speakers

JMLab Inwall Speakers

JMLab Satellite Systems

All the listed companies have distributors in the the States, so I would would highly recommend listening to them before buying. Good luck with your purchase.

10. Drew_W

Drew_W Screenwriter

Grab your Sound and Vision from a few months a go that had ON-WALL speakers. That should give you some sense of options, since this seems to be an increasing trend.

You could also look the article up online I believe, it was the cover feature.

11. PaulDA

PaulDA Cinematographer

Paul
    Boston Acoustics also makes a line of in-wall, in-ceiling speakers. My dealer has them setup in a room with a large 120" screen and they sound pretty good. Not as nice as the VR-M90s he has in the same room, but still quite good (and invisible).

12. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Vienna Acoustics (flash site) makes some pretty nice on-wall speakers - Berg, Webern and Schonberg(?). Give them a listen.

13. CalvinCarr

If I get an entertainmet center would it be o.k. to mount in wall speakers into the book shelves and cover the doors with grill cloth?

14. JamieS

JamieS Stunt Coordinator

If you could stretch the 4K speaker biudget up a bit (maybe take a little from the receiver/amp budget by getting a used amp?) you could probaly get 5 Thiel Powerpoints or Powerpain that would be practically invisible (even less so than the bOSE) AND from all accounts would sound amazing (does that 4k include the sub? if so I just blew your budget all to heck[​IMG] ).

http://www.thielaudio.com/THIEL_Web/...rpt_plnws.html

15. CalvinCarr

It says the flagship model is 13k?

16. Nathan W.

Nathan W. Stunt Coordinator

I believe the flagship they refer to is a floorstander.

17. BryanZ

BryanZ Screenwriter

I would shy away from the in wall but Magnepan's onwall speakers could be an excellent option. For a more furniture look either Onix Reference or Rockets or offerings from ACI or Odyssey may appeal to her.