What's new

Bose advertising at its best..... (1 Viewer)

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
This is more like an ad Bose should use. The caption should read...
Bose....great sound (without the smell)

Peace Out~:laugh:

Dan Lindley

Second Unit
After Ron-P's post, who could not like these threads!!

That said, who knows anything about the physics/harmonics of these loopy systems? I know I sometimes sound like a flute, but how does their flute sound...???

Dan

Jason Hammerly

Supporting Actor
I've not been one to bash BOSE, but when I was out with my father-in-law (who I definitely helped to convince to listen to a number of speakers, which he went with a Klipsh setup), I was talking to a sales rep at American TV that was a good friend. He stated that the Lifestyle system that's $3000 (comes with the unit and the speakers and "bass" module) actually costs American around $1800. He said if he sells one of those systems it's $250 in his pocket. I'm in sales, thought not retail, and I'd have to say that my personal dislike for BOSE would be quickly forgotten if someone came in and said that's what they wanted and listened to it and liked it. It's amazing that you can make $1200 gross profit on a system that you could fit in a box the size of a 19" TV. You have to figure that it must only cost Bose around $600 or less (mayeb another $600 in marketing!) to maufacture the little plastic speakers and the electronics. Maybe BOSE isn't so bad, as long as you're selling them! : ) Just my $.02.

KeithR

Second Unit
Say what you want, but as a company they are brilliant, and indeed the largest speaker manufacturer in the world. They also have the best resale out there due to price protection. Also to note, they really started the small satellites for ht idea, and as a result many other companys have brought to market similar boxes bringing better sound to many.

My dad has bose, and he loves them (and my mom does too for aesthetics). I have toyed with getting him Gallos to replace the bose, but who knows...

Bose may be a joke to more hi-end oriented people, but there brand marketing is untouched, and the non-enthusiast is much more likely to pick Bose than anyone else.

Adam Bluhm

Supporting Actor
I totally agree with these last two posts.

If I had the opportunity to gather an extra $250 for my pocket, I'd probably take it.

Also, Bose is a wonderful company, as far as profit is concerned. They market and sell their products very good. They're not really a 'music business', but more of a 'business.'

Robert_Gaither

Screenwriter
Jason, Adam, I bet many a drug dealer, pimp, and other con-men thought the same way... Of course this is an extreme (only speaker companies I might concede that Bose is more ethical than might be Nuance and those who sell from white vans).

Jeff Ery

Stunt Coordinator
Robert, The scary part is you can make some good money off of selling there junk but, I cant stand there stuff so much that I would rather take a smaller check home that week knowing that I sent someone home with a better product, than let them leave with some over priced piece of crap.

And the cool part is if you just educate someone just a little bit on other options they will often find themselves spending much less money on a far better speaker package. Than in turn you get a very happy customer when they realize they can spring for a better receiver or something else that they didn't think they would have had the money for from the money they saved not getting the overpriced under performing Bose.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++end of quote====
Wow!, everyone I know who works in the buis. has the agonizing dilemma posed when a customer comes in to purchase a bose lifewstyle system or speaker package...all retailers are "leaned-on" by bose to segregate their product from comparable systems because sonic memory is soooo short and BIASES are SOOOO strong...So, do they show the Bose and keep their mouths shut just waiting to rake in the cash, or go out on a limb try to educate the customer ,loosing (ussually) a bit of money in the process, many times being accused of having some anti-bose bias or ulterior motives by the customer and loosing the sale entirely...swimming upstream from marketing is difficult same is true trying to sell against DOGGdIGITAL OR ANY DIRECT MARKETED E-TAIL ONLY PRODUCT. Hype is the MOTHER of all advertising! and not being able to put 'em together in a fair duel, the bose bias more often wins, unless you actually show the wife something as attractive and smaller/ prettier....most good salespeople are hobbyists and are concerned with their reputation aND DOING WHAT'S BEST FOR THEIR CUSTOMERS, but not to the extent of WALKING buisness that is basicly a LOCK if you just stand behind them and say "yes sir, your right again sir."...my brother says he CAREFULLY gauges the potential for an open mind, and waits for a question like "do you have anything comporable?"..

Jon Cheung

Stunt Coordinator
I love these bashing posts!!! They've totally turned my view on Bose. When I first came here I thought Bose was the pinnicle of sound and preformance. "A speaker set for more than 2 grand!!!! These definetly are the best in the world!" and now, I laugh and laugh, boy was I dumb. But now I know what to not get and that's great knowing what's good and what's not. It's the exact same as car audio. People are always signing up for hometheaterforum.com who are pretty much like I was, bought from advertisement but now they'll know what to really go for. Keep on bashing!!!!!

Adam Bluhm

Supporting Actor
I bet many a drug dealer, pimp, and other con-men thought the same way
Robert,

that is a little extreme. You should know as well as anybody that what you mentioned is illegal. Selling Bose speakers isn't.

Also, if someone is selling drugs, I'm sure they believe in drugs (for whatever reason). If I pushed and sold Bose speakers, I didn't harm anyone or do anything illegal. All I did was sell a product I do not believe in and made a buck.

Keep in mind this is all hypothetical. I've never sold anything in an electronic store, so I'm assuming I may take a sale or two when I have the chance. I'm not saying I definitely would.

(I've been considering getting a part time job at Best Buy (as in Sat. morning ours) for the purpose of working in an environment I enjoy. So this may be up my ally in the future)

Wow its impressive to see how many of these guys think they are the authorities on good audio. I'm not here to attack the Bose-lovers or the Bose-haters. Also I'm not going to support or oppose one audio company or another, now I know you are scratching your head so listen up:

To the Bose-haters: A TRUE "Audio Enthusiast" knows that ALL audio companies have good and bad points, and ones who have more bad points then good don't stay in business more then 5 years. A TRUE "Audiophile" would not even stoop themselves to the level of this forum because it would be beneath them, so what catagory do you guys fall in?

To the Bose-lovers: If you are going to argue in here, don't sound like a broken record, come real and correct like this:

Back to the Bose-haters: I have some bad news for you, you and other folks who know too much about audio only represent %5 of the home theater buying population, sounds crazy but its true. Now why would Bose (the most marketed speaker company in the world) want to just target 5% of the home theater buying population when they can target 95% and save money buy not focusing on technical materials and focusing on what these 95% want, and thats equipment that is easy to operate, holds its value, and doesnt change every 6 months like other audio products?

Now your companies like Proceed, B&W, M&K, Vienna Acoust., and Martin Logans target the 5% (you guys) thats why they are found in local retail shops and not widely dist.

Sounds like Bose found a business plan that works, and I can't knock them for that, yeah their stuff may not be the most accurate in the world, but if they sounded like s*** then no one would buy it and they would have been out of business after only 5 years. Think about that before you just jump on a bandwagon with square wheels.

RussKon

Stunt Coordinator
cameron,

what type of bose system do you own?

and if you are in this forum, how would you classify yourself...audiophile....enthusiast...casual listener???

i guess that i am one of those folks who "know too much about audio"...is that a bad thing? personally, i've always felt that knowledge is power...maybe you feel different...

i think that 100% of the people want a good product at a good price....the main point of this thread as well as almost every bose bashing thread out there is that in terms of real performance - performance that can be measured - bose is NOT a good product at a good price. the marketing division of bose has convinced you and many others that it is a good product at its price....marketing pure and simple...

now if you feel that you have to defend the bose corporation because you have an investment in one of their products...o.k.....but the product is still over-priced and of inferior quality...

Matt Odegard

Stunt Coordinator
Wow its impressive to see how many of these guys think they are the authorities on good audio. I'm not here to attack the Bose-lovers or the Bose-haters. Also I'm not going to support or oppose one audio company or another, now I know you are scratching your head so listen up:

To the Bose-haters: A TRUE "Audio Enthusiast" knows that ALL audio companies have good and bad points, and ones who have more bad points then good don't stay in business more then 5 years. A TRUE "Audiophile" would not even stoop themselves to the level of this forum because it would be beneath them, so what catagory do you guys fall in?

To the Bose-lovers: If you are going to argue in here, don't sound like a broken record, come real and correct like this:

Back to the Bose-haters: I have some bad news for you, you and other folks who know too much about audio only represent %5 of the home theater buying population, sounds crazy but its true. Now why would Bose (the most marketed speaker company in the world) want to just target 5% of the home theater buying population when they can target 95% and save money buy not focusing on technical materials and focusing on what these 95% want, and thats equipment that is easy to operate, holds its value, and doesnt change every 6 months like other audio products?

Now your companies like Proceed, B&W, M&K, Vienna Acoust., and Martin Logans target the 5% (you guys) thats why they are found in local retail shops and not widely dist.

Sounds like Bose found a business plan that works, and I can't knock them for that, yeah their stuff may not be the most accurate in the world, but if they sounded like s*** then no one would buy it and they would have been out of business after only 5 years. Think about that before you just jump on a bandwagon with square wheels.

The power of Video Stage 5 is strong in this one. Darken'd and clouded is his mind.

DanaA

Screenwriter

Where do you come up with this??? Where's your evidence??? Do you have proof or are you just offering as fact your opinion? I'm a true "audio enthusiast" and I never knew that "ones who have more bad points then (than) good don't stay in business more then (than) 5 years."

Rory Buszka

Supporting Actor
The Bose speakers offer an ear-pleasing sound.
That's how I politely descrie the distorted, not-natural, and downright WEIRD sound of the cubes as integrated with the Acoustimass modules.
Now I wonder...
Bose makes speakers (model 161) that use drivers called Twiddlers. I wonder: Bose could improve the midrange performance of their cubes by designing a driver like the Twiddler into the cube? The Twiddler driver has extra excursion of the cone. This is what is necessary.
By the way, here's something that looks like a Bose driver should. And it actually reaches 200 Hz and 20 kHz.
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshow...number=269-566

Well contary to your belief, I have never owned a Bose product. And I consider myself an Audio Enthusiast, but I'm also a business man, I also worked as an audio saleperson in college. And I consider myself one that "knows too much about audio" thats why I put it in "" the first time because thats how we all are viewed by the typical buying customer. And you're right, 100% people want good value for a good price, but put into effect that everyone percieves the "value" of an audio system differently:

1) Some percieve value as upgradability
2) Some percieve value as have the most accurate sound
3) Some percieve value as functionality
4) Some percieve value as cosmetics
5) Some percieve value as brand

Fact is that most of the buying population percieves value in the last 3 catagories, they want something that will not break, looks good, and is a well known brand. Hey if you can reach customers in those last 3 catagories you've got some money coming in, and I think Bose realized this business model 20-30 years ago.

Paul Seyfarth

Stunt Coordinator
Yet you can get all five for less money. Why did you join this forum, all you have done is reserected two dead threads with the same post? Let me laugh at you, and your coments hahaha.

Ok Paul, laugh at this:
Those who doubt my findings that most of the audio buying population (95%)is not as concerned with specs as we are. Let me give you this tidbit.
If that ratio of 95:5 were to shift over night, I bet you Bose would change the way they make speakers to satisfy the demand. For instance in Japan, the audio customer is more demanding, more knowledgable, so the ratio by my guess would be 40:60. But guess what? Bose makes more accurate speakers with better frequency response over there, check out this 3-way speaker they sell in Japan.....a 3-way speaker from Bose, no way man:
http://www.bose.co.jp/home_audio/ht_.../464_spec.html
yes way.
And if you have a translation program, you can see the frequency response is published at 38hz-35khz.
Different customer, different products.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks