What's new

Bose advertising at its best..... (1 Viewer)

Brian Ruth

Supporting Actor
I was looking in the new Time magazine when I read a Bose ad that almost made me fall out of my seat laughing.

Comments??

RussKon

Stunt Coordinator
lol

yeah right!

as a side note. the famous (or infamous) bose radio that is sold mainly through mail order...has a 46% return rate!!!!!

46% of all bose radios sold are returned!!

bose - very overpriced and mediocre quality

Manuel Delaflor

Supporting Actor
Still, they sell (afaik) more than anyone else... I wonder if there are numbers somewhere to prove this is a fact or a myth???

Brian OK

Supporting Actor
How old are these Bose digs gonna get , guys ? Get over it.

Enough already. It's just another company.

Wasting bandwith is a real problem on this ENTIRE forum, in case you haven't heard.

Time to move on, as you gain no credibility with the cheap shots from a lot of members.... we have seen it a thousand times. Take it to AR where it fits in better.

On second thought, how about you Bose bashers add something constructive to this forum, an idea, a thought about bettering the HT hobby, something positive. I am not saying you don't bring something, but this negative sniping is adolescent, from my seat.

BOK

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Brian OK said:
as a side note. the famous (or infamous) bose radio that is sold mainly through mail order...has a 46% return rate!!!!!
46% of all bose radios sold are returned!!
Is this for real? Where did you get this from? A reputable source? Do you have a link?

Brian Ruth

Supporting Actor
BriOK:
I don't think this sniping is adolescent. I HAVE heard some nasty things said about Bose, but from all indications they deserve it.
I think Bose is BEYOND constructive criticism - they sell mediocre (if not substandard) equipment for an EXTREMELY inflated price. I wouldn't touch Bose with a 10 foot pole.
I have a speaker system and I'm happy with it - I just want other people to be happy with theirs also. I think its a service to warn people of an inferior product.
I'm sorry if you're stuck trying to rationalize all the overpriced Bose equipment sitting in your living room. ;)
EDIT: BriOK, here's your constructive criticism:
Sell that overpriced Bose system and spend the money you get from it on a NSP-1 surround set from JBL, a 10" SVS sub, Pioneer 811 receiver, and a Toshiba SD-1800 DVD player. I PROMISE you it will sound better.

RussKon

Stunt Coordinator
Keith,

the 46% return rate was the figure that came out a discussion group at an electronics distributor group meeting held last year in chicago...

i can't attribute the exact source

i agree totally with brian. Bose actually gives the rest of the industry problems by selling crappy equipment at outrageous prices. The marketing department of that company has done a great dis-service to millions of consumers. Selling them on an image of a great musical experience and then delivering crap!!!

Robert_Gaither

Screenwriter
Brian OK, there's one thing you might be forgetting, that simply though you've read these Bose quips for a while there might be new members who have not heard the true criticism of how Bose sounds or how poor (and just plain stupid) some of the engineering philosophy that this company spews. Let's also face the facts, Bose isn't just another speaker company in the eyes of most (ignorant) and the products they come out with, the price they charge, and the way the product performs would definitely state otherwise (could you imagine if a surgeon working on your family member had the accuracy of cuts that Bose has on frequency they'd end with "Z" and everyone would think Zorro operated on them).

If I were other companies I would feel highly insulted that a company states that their products are cheaper in price and it's deserved when obviously based on performance the other companies sound like they cost a lot more than Bose. Too bad these other companies don't have the lawyers and sue Bose to give them a taste of their own medicine. It's really a shame that a company makes a hamburger product that sells for a steak price.

The sad fact is that any negative criticism about Bose is a positive statement about all things HT, unless they decide to come out with something accurate then there should be no expectation of an apology, criticism, or snide remark (is it snide if it's the truth?). They seem to reap what they sow (I don't know about you but if this is their latest attempt at marketting, it seemed they just fired the first shot) and the crop doesn't appear to be that good...

Joe Tilley

Supporting Actor
A funny thing about Bose. I work part time at CC & the other day I pissed off a couple of my co workers that were drooling over that new piece of junk 3 2 1 system. They were standing over there saying how the couldn't believe how it actually sounded like surround. So of course I had to jump in tell them how much of a joke Bose was & that I could get the same results with a 50 dollar sub hooked up to my tv & use the simulated surround enhancement on it.:D
I cant believe how many people come in there & ask for there junk & stand there with that (OH my god its Bose if only I could have it look) I wish CC would let me ware a shirt that had the top ten reasons not to buy Bose. I do my best to get people to stay away from there over priced junk but you still just cant convince some.

Jack Keck

Second Unit
Ya Know, I think I'm getting a little sick of all this Bose bashing.
A lot of people swear at, sorry, I meant sweear BY Bose.:D

Joe Tilley

Supporting Actor
Robert, The scary part is you can make some good money off of selling there junk but, I cant stand there stuff so much that I would rather take a smaller check home that week knowing that I sent someone home with a better product, than let them leave with some over priced piece of crap.

And the cool part is if you just educate someone just a little bit on other options they will often find themselves spending much less money on a far better speaker package. Than in turn you get a very happy customer when they realize they can spring for a better receiver or something else that they didn't think they would have had the money for from the money they saved not getting the overpriced under performing Bose.

Bill Law

Stunt Coordinator
I agree Bose sux, BUT I need something in the $500 range for in-laws Christmas gift.
What else is there similar that beats it for sound in the same price range and includes cd player & compact?

Robert_Gaither

Screenwriter
The JVC executive systems to me look (I hate to say it but they usually look pretty sharp), sound (not the greatest but maybe replace them with a pair of Nht SuperZeroes...), and seem to me to be the better system (though there are some from Denon as well which are great also but are a little over the $500 mark). Cambridge makes one that seems to be about equal and allows a secondary unit to attach to it as well for both control and if I remember sound (I've seen the item in person but not with the second module though it did have a sub out which adds some possibilities).

The problems with the Bose to me are many such as a lack of tone controls (small rooms it's way too boomy, unless you like the bose overly used mid-bass hump sound), quality (I see way too many refurbished ones and a pure plastic housing for a $500 product just doesn't show any taste or class to me, personally I think it's about as tacky as it gets), and cost (so many competitors at this price and many with similar features). The only plus I see of this product is that it allows them to drop the name "Bose" to those who know not better (I lived with this with a former girlfriend, I really can't see this as anything other than a sham). Luckily for all of us there are many more products similar to this but luckily they are priced more reasonable though still I think they are all too expensive for the over-glorified clock radioes they are (imho, though others might think they get their moneys worth).

mike_doyle

Agent
I am glad this thread is here... although Ive never purchased Bose its reputation has always been that of "they make small speakers that sound better then big ones" of course for a higher price as well. I've never really auditioned Bose because Ive always been a huge Paradigm fan. But didnt realize that it was actually inferior product at a higher price.

Did they get the reputation of being the best from great marketing??

Adam Horak

Stunt Coordinator
I educated a person on how Bose really sounds for the first time last weekend. I was at the mall with my fiance and her sister. We walked by a bose stand that was set up in the middle of the mall. I sighed and made some comment about how sorry I felt sorry for the poeople standing there listening to the salespeople. My fiance's sister asked why and I explained to her the true story of Bose equipment.

It's just amazing how people have this incredible perception of Bose. I asked her if she could name ONE other speaker company. Her answer after thinking for a bit was "no".

DanaA

Screenwriter
Easy there Adam. A question: Did you, your fiancee, or her sister come in direct contact with the Bose. If so, you need to chemically disinfect, lest you wish to contaminate other equipment. I once knew someone who didn't even come in direct contact with the Bose 123 system, the holograph actually reached out to him, and in the morning, his B&W Signature 800's transformed into little white cubes. Doubt me if you want, but this is all absolutely true.

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member
I had a few moments the other evening, so I visited my local Tweeter store. While there, someone was looking at one of the "DE" series Sony receivers for $400 - $500. They were telling the salesperson that they were going to drive Bose speakers with it.

I just thought to myself what I could do with that budget: $500 that was going to be applied to the purchase of the mediocre "DE" Sony receiver and the $1,000 or more they already had invested in the Bose speakers.

The Bose wave radios are popular because they can produce better lower frequencies than anything else in its size range. However, the Bose sound with the radio kind of reminds me of the stock General Motors audio systems - lots of muddy bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks