Bose AdaptiQ System

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by EdNichols, Nov 17, 2004.

1. EdNichols

EdNichols Second Unit

Was reading a Bose ad about this system and it states that it is supposed to automatically adjust each speaker output based on the sound reflection of a room. Just wondered if anyone know how it works, IF it works, or if it was just another Bose marketing scheme.

2. PaulDA

PaulDA Cinematographer

Paul
    You put on headphones (which contain microphones placed at ear level) and run the CD. It works much like the "auto-eq" functions on many receivers out there. I saw it demoed in a factory store and while the rest of the demo left me underwhelmed, I do have to give credit where credit is due. This system works quite well. However, it's not enough for the premium price.

3. EdNichols

EdNichols Second Unit

In other words, about like everything else Bose has....over priced for what you get.

4. PaulDA

PaulDA Cinematographer

Paul
    Yep. Noticed that Sound and Vision just reviewed the Lifestyle 38. As they usually have "in the lab" reports with, I presume, independent testing of specs and features, I was looking forward to some info. Nope, just some copy that could have been written by a Bose rep and no info. Shame on them.

5. DerrikW

DerrikW Stunt Coordinator

Actually, if I remember right, BLOWS actually forbids anybody from printing tests done on their systems. Which is why S&V didn't print any of there tests. HMM? Trying to hide something are ya?

6. Jimi C

Jimi C Screenwriter

How can you "forbid" anyone from printing test results? Sounds like a bunch of crapola to me.

7. brentl

brentl Cinematographer

"How can you "forbid" anyone from printing test results? Sounds like a bunch of crapola to me."

Sure does, but if you spend as much money as Bose does buying advertising in S&v they have some pull in regard to the review.

Brent

8. BruceD

BruceD Screenwriter

If the label says Bose, I treat it like the Plague and stay as far away as possible!!!:wink:

9. DerrikW

DerrikW Stunt Coordinator

Jimi,

I agree with you 100%. It does sound like crap. But think about it, when is the last time you've seen any magazine report any specs on a bose product other than what bose states? I can't remember any. Except for an internet review that was done a while back. I maybe wrong on this. But I could have swore I heard somewhere that it was part of bose's agreement with people when they test their products.

10. EdNichols

EdNichols Second Unit

When I win the Publishers Clearing House sweepstakes, I will buy a Bose system and have an independent tester check it out.[​IMG] [​IMG]

11. Drew_W

Drew_W Screenwriter

Bose will take legal action against anyone who does a negative review. They did that to Consumer Reports.

There's also a ticker like thing on the CEDIA homepage that shows how much of CEDIA's money Bose has wasted with stupid litigation this year. The amount is absolutely staggering.

12. DorianBryant

DorianBryant Screenwriter

I have a pr of 301's and 401's. I bought them off a co-worker with the intent to trade or sell locally. They don't sound bad paired up with an older HK avr-5 i picked up. In fact teamed up with the Shiva sub I just built, it sounds pretty good.

I was going to pick up a Fluance set-up or even a pr of the Acoustic Research S-40's which are so cheap. For a basement set-up it may not be too bad. keep in mind i paid $150 for both prs.