What's new

Bose Acoustimass - 4 or 8 ohm? (1 Viewer)

Patrick.C

Second Unit
First a disclaimer - I'm a total newbie to the home theater hobby, but I know better than to buy Bose. I own an Acoustimass 6 simply because my wife won the speaker battle after seeing them demo'ed at a Bose store. (She likes their appearance more than anything). She agreed to stay out of the components and tv if we bought the Bose, so...

I picked up the speakers back in January when I found a good deal on them. They sat in the box until last week when I picked up a new receiver (Onkyo 601). No problems thus far, but I ran into something regarding the ohm rating of the speakers that I wanted to ask the group here about. Two people (one a knowledgeable salesperson and the other a friend) have told me that Bose Acoustimass speakers are 4 ohm. Being that my new Onkyo can only push 6 to 8, I started looking through the Bose manual to see if they were correct. Every spec sheet that I've come across lists them as "compatible with receivers rated at 4 to 8 ohms" instead of the standard "this is an 8 ohm speaker". So I called Bose. The guy on the other end of the line had to put me on hold for 5 minutes to go check and when he came back on, apologized for the delay and said that he "had to make sure he had all of his ducks in a row" (for something as simple as an ohm rating?!?). He said that they are indeed an 8 ohm speaker and not to worry about hooking them up to my Onkyo.

I can't help being suspicious here. For one, why the funny "compatible with, etc." instead of a standard ohm rating? And why did it take the guy so long to find out? Anyone know what the deal is here?

ClintS

Stunt Coordinator
I always have set my receiver to the 8 ohm setting for Bose speakers, it says to in the owners manual. I no longer have mine, I upgraded to cheaper conventional speakers. Dont worry about the purchase they are okay speakers just severly overpriced for what you get. If you havent already considered it, think about getting a true LFE subwoofer with a dedicated amplifier. The Bose bass module only goes down to about 80 Mhz and a good seperate sub will get you down to 20. You can hide the sub in a corner or behind a chair and it will really fill out the sound and give you that extra punch.

MikeH1

Screenwriter
Real Name
Billy
Because Bose is the master of misleading marketing. Thats the ONLY thing this company does well. And oh yeah, they try to hide their specs.

BrianWoerndle

Supporting Actor
First, there is nothing wrong with "compatiable with 4-8 ohms). Speakers do not run at an exact ohm rating. It will continously vary with frequency and load. So even if the speaker syas 8 ohms, it will most likely dip down lower than that at times.

The Bose speakers generally average around 6 ohms. They will be fine with your receiver.

StephenHa

Second Unit
the am series are going to present about a 10 ohm load at the receiver (as tested at the speaker leads) there is a "fuse" setup in the bass module that adds a bit (from what I've been playing around with)

Kenneth Harden

Screenwriter
Well, I have been playing with the 6 system at work, and reguardless of their impedance, they seem to be VERY inefficent compared to other stuff.

As much as I hate to admit it, if I was doing a home theater for a small walk-in closet, the system would be just great :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks