What's new

Bose Accoustimass (1 Viewer)

RichL

Auditioning
Hello Everyone,
I currently have the Bose Accoustimass 7 system at home and Bose Model 100's for the rear surrounds. I know that there are a lot better systems out there but the wife syas it must be small. I was wondering if it would be possible to keep the accoustimass modules and just replace the subwoofer with something like a Velodyne CT-120?
Thanks in Advance
Rich

Dave Dahl

Stunt Coordinator
Hi,
Sad to say but the answer is no. I am 99% sure that the accoustimass module handles the crossover and if you attempted to hook the speakers into a more conventional reciever they would maybe work for ten seconds before you fried them.
I know several companies make extremely small main speakers for home theater use. Boston Accoustics comes to mind. Anyhow good luck and let us know what happened.
Dave

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Rich, without trying to be offensive, there is a reason your line of speakers are often referred to as Acoustimess. If you are in a position to buy new speakers, I highly recommend you do so. Take a look at the Energy Take 5.2 surround speaker package with an Energy subwoofer. You will be amazed by how much better they sound for a lot less money than your Bose set-up. A nice thing people do say about Bose speakers is that they usually have good resale value based on name recognition. Unfortunately, Bose offers nothing more than undeserved name recognition. Again, please don't take my comments personally.
------------------
My:
HT Pics ; Equipment List ; DVD Collection ; LD Collection
KeithH: Saving the Home Theater World Before Bedtime

Shade Watson

Stunt Coordinator
I think if you added the Velodyne to your system using the speaker level connections, that it would be a big improvement.
I'm not suggesting that you replace the Bose bass module, rather supplement it with a "real" subwoofer.
You also should check out the HTF favorite online only subwoofers. Adire/SVS/Hsu

Dale B

Stunt Coordinator
I kept the bass module hooked up to my am 6's and added a powered sub from the sub line out on my receiver and it made a great improvement.

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, the Energy Take 5.2 is a really decent smaller speaker package.
Paradigm and Definitive Technology also make good smaller packages.
Bose, Bose has gotta go. :)
Or... get rid of the wife and get big floor standing towers! Whahahaha!
biggrin.gif

Dan
------------------
Stop HDCP and 5C-- Your rights are at risk!
[Edited last by Dan Hitchman on July 29, 2001 at 11:17 AM]

Ron Stimpson

Stunt Coordinator
Rich,
If you are stuck with a AM system for SAF reasons, at LEAST do this... (only works well if you do NOT have the Bose "receiver" thing. Only if you have a regular DD processor.)
Get one mondo sub, the best you can afford. Then set your system such that the mains are set to small and ALL other speakers are set to small too (sometimes annotated "Normal" in receivers out there).
And hook up the new subwoofer of course, use the subwoofer output from your receiver to do this. Do NOT try to use the speaker level leads that are already looping thru the Bose bass module. This arrangement will significanly lighten the load on the Bose bass box (can't call it a subwoofer) thus allowing it to continue to produce the 200Hz to 80Hz spectrum needed to supplement the smallish AM modules, and still let a real subwoofer take over after 80Hz.
I did exactly this to a system with a VERY high capacity subwoofer looped in and the Bose setup was utterly transformed. Night and day. I'd dare say it actually sounded good.
Bose is greatly overpriced, and provides virtually no real deep bass as is so critical for good HT today, but if you are stuck with them (and they ARE practically invisible for the terminally anal spouses out there that might not allow anything else in their rooms) then THIS is the way to make them sing.
Short of a total replacement, adding a good sub to a Bose system is hands down the best way to improve them.
Ron
[Edited last by Ron Stimpson on July 29, 2001 at 04:16 PM]

RichL

Auditioning
Thanks everyone, You have given me several options to consider. I did go out and listen to Polk, Klipsch, Definitive, M&K, Energy, and Velodyne subwoofers in either a 10 or 12 inch active sub. The one I preferred was the Velodyne CT-100, with the CT-120's a close second. Now I want to hear the Adaire Ravas subwoofer. I think that by adding a subwoofer to my existing system is the best way to start. Then if I am not satisfied with the sound I can start replacing the Bose system. I also want to say thanks to those of you who brought up the idea of just adding a sub to my existing system. No store around here offered me that option.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Rich, I am not surprised to hear that no store would suggest you merely add a subwoofer. In my experience, stores typically don't speak highly of brands they don't carry. It's a business, after all. Of course, they may also have an anti-Bose attitude for the reasons many here do. Try the sub first, but keep your mind open to new speakers. Remember, you should be able to sell your Bose set-up without taking too big a loss.
------------------
My:
HT Pics ; Equipment List ; DVD Collection ; LD Collection
KeithH: Saving the Home Theater World Before Bedtime

Jeff Blair

Second Unit
I hate to say it, but I still am useing Bose for my rears. I am about to sell them on e-Bay, and then use the money to get some real speakers. I figure I can get about $300+ for my AM10's. The one with the 3 dual cube "system" Mini-Moniters here I come.
wink.gif

------------------
Jeff Blair
Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.
- Abraham Lincoln
My DVD's

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
My father has the AM-15 with 5 dual cube arrangements, and I have to say it doesn't sound bad. I wouldn't buy them for myself, but I also wouldn't I let my significant other dictate what kind of speakers I purchase.
tongue.gif
I'm not a chauvinist or anything, and I do understand the need to make consessions for eachother, but this is not one of them in my mind. I'm not saying don't compromize, but she should be willing to give a little also, or it's not a compromize.
rolleyes.gif
I'm tired of seeing "My wife wants small speakers" posts. I just bought my speakers, and let her deal with it. Guess what, she LIKES the sound. I'll bet you can get away with some good bookshelf speakers that will give you much better music definition than Bose, without ending your relationship...
------------------
All progress is based upon a universal, inate desire on the part of every organism, to live beyond it's income.
ITRCA ** Honda/Acura Club ** Link Removed (sorry, car guy)
[Edited last by John Garcia on July 30, 2001 at 11:46 AM]

Greg Cellini

Agent
Hi Rich,
I'm a former AM7 owner. As others have stated, you MUST use the Acoustimass module with your cubes. The Acoutimass module contains crossovers and frequency correction circuitry specifically optimized for the cubes. Eliminating the Acousitimass will result in poorer sound ands likley damage your cubes.
I'd follow Ron Stimpson's advice. Sounds like an excellent/"path of least resistance" solution.
Best Wishes,
Greg

RichL

Auditioning
Latest Update:
I was doing some reading in this forum and also at epinions.com and I got curious about the JBL speakers and went to the Local Video Only store (authorized Dealer) to have a listen. The Guy there was the most helpful of all the people I have been in contact with. I listened to Yamaha, Sony, JBL, and 2 other names I can't remember. The salesman answered all my questions and did not pressure me in any way. So after listening I ended up buying the Velodyne CHT-10 subwoofer. The Yamaha AC40X center channel speaker, and 2 Yamaha NSA50PXR bookshelf speakers. I will wait a little while before I replace the Bose Model 100 rear surronds. It was a good thing I did to that because I thought my JVC 884VBK reciever had line out's for the subwoofer but it does not. So I am using the speaker level inputs into the sub. Then utilizing the crossover in the sub to go the from Speakers. I listened to Top Gun after I got it setup and all I can say is WOW!!! So the Bose AM7 has been retired. I just have to clean the dust off it and then snap some pic's and put it up on eBay
Thanks for all your advice people's.
Rich
BTW, anyone care to recommend inexpensive rear surround speakers that are small.

Thomas_Berg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
first off, congrats on the new setup! i'm glad you like it (and got rid of the Bose)!
i dont know what you consider 'small' but onecall.com has the NHT SuperZeros up for $86.60 each, which is a great deal. (that line of speakers has already been discontinued though)-- just thought i'd throw that out.
-thomas

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks