What's new

Bose 901's for front speakers in HT (1 Viewer)

Robert Posey

Agent
A friend of mine wants to use his old 901's as the front speakers in his HT. How can he do this with his A/V receiver (Sony str-da777es)?

The 901's has to use the equalizer that comes with them or they sound really bad. You don't want to run all 5 speakers through the equalizer so using something like a tape monitor loop is out of the question.

Can he use the pre-outs from the receiver in some way? There doesn't seem to be a way to go from the pre-outs for the front speakers, through the equalizer, then back to the receiver (no input back to the amps).

I'm just trying to help him out with this problem. Hope someone can give us some help.

Thanks,
Robert

ChrisChap

Stunt Coordinator
The 901 was meant to create a lot of imaging that might interfere with the staging created by all of your other surround speakers.

It's been a while since I have looked at a 901 EQ, but doesn't the EQ have both a speaker input and a line unput (like a powered sub) that you can use?

If so, just run the front speaker connects of the receiver out to the EQ, then connect the EQ to the 901's.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
You don't want to run all 5 speakers through the equalizer so using something like a tape monitor loop is out of the question.
If the receiver has 5.1 analog inputs, all you do is connect the analog front L/R outputs from the DVD player to the equalizer, then connect the equalizer to the front L/R inputs on the receiver. The other channels go straight from the DVD player to the receiver.

Robert Posey

Agent
Receiver does have 5.1 analog inputs. Sounds like that would work if the dvd player has 5.1 analog outputs. I know all of the latest multi-players have this for dvd-audio.

What then, just configure the dvd player to decode the dd or dts signal and send it to the receiver via the 5.1 analog audio outputs instead of the digital audio output?

That sounds like a plan.

Thanks,
Robert

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
It has been 30 years since I bought the original 901's. Walnut tops and bottoms. At first they are captivating because they do indeed sound different than any other speaker I had (have) ever heard.

After about 7 months I realized that the sound of the piano should not be coming from the ceiling!!

Also, with that equalizer you need at least 200 watts per channel since the equalizer adds a ton of bass EQ.

Overall, I would say that their spatial characteristics may be fine for music, but would almost certainly affect surround sound placement. Fortunately, mine (bought used) were in pristime condition with the bases included. I was able to use them and only lost about $25 when I sold them. Kind of wish I still had them, just as a curiosity piece.

Artie

Robert Posey

Agent
My friend bought these in 1988. At first he just put them on top of his end tables in his living room. They sounded like *^*&&#$^ there and he was very disappointed.

Just before returning them, we placed them on top of 6' stepladders following the Bose manual regarding placement from each corner and from the ceiling and wall in his room. Viola! Night and day difference in sound.

He used cable to hang them from the ceiling in the proper location and was very happy until he moved. They have been in storage for several years now, but he wants to put them back into service in a home theater.

Looks like the only way to do that will mean he can't use them with any other source other than the dvd player since the eq will be in line between the dvd & receiver. And he won't be able to use bass management in the receiver because the 5.1 inputs are analog.

Am I missing some other option?

Thanks for the comments/help.

Robert

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation233
Recent bookmarks