Bose 901 speaker owners: what a/v receiver using?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Wayne Reibold, Apr 13, 2002.

1. Wayne Reibold

Wayne Reibold Stunt Coordinator

My parents have a pair of Bose 901 speakers with Bose equalizer and the a/v receiver they're currently using just blew up.

I'd like to hear what a/v receiver you're using with your Bose 901s.

I'd like to find them a new budget a/v receiver that has DPL II if possible but am concerned about finding one that has a "tape monitor" loop so the Bose equalizer can be used. I know the Bose 901s sound HORRIBLE without the equalizer.

I started looking at a/v receivers such as the Denon AVR-1602 but I don't believe it has a tape monitor loop. Many receivers I'm finding don't have the tape monitor loop so I'm not sure what to buy but would like to hear from those using the 901s.

Thanks!

2. John Sully

John Sully Stunt Coordinator

Check the Denon manual. I have a 4802 and it does have a tape loop, only it isn't real obvious how to use it. Basically what you have to do is select the record out source to be the source you want to listen to and then choose tape as the input source. Not nearly as easy or as clear as pressing the "tape monitor" button.

Anyway, the 1602 or the 1802 are both good choices. You might also check out the Outlaw 1050, although it does not have DPL II. Since the Bose 901's are grossly inefficient speakers I would tend to go with the 1050 because it's amplifier section is more honestly rated than the typical mass market receivers in this price range.

3. Wayne Reibold

I'm searching all over and either the manufacturer's info doesn't say (and doesn't show a picture of the back of the unit) or is vague. Going into somewhere like Good Guys is going to be a nightmare too because there's a 99% chance the salespeople won't know plus the back of the units aren't visible in the stores. Argh!

4. Tony Meconiates

Tony Meconiates Stunt Coordinator

Is selling them an option?

5. John Sully

Most every receiver has a tape in/out. Most of them use a record select type of facility so that you can record one source while listening to another. You'll need to either read the fine manuals or play with the receiver in the store to see if you can monitor the output of the tape unit while recording something. Many low end receivers lack this feature.

If your parents do not have a 5.1 system, you might take a look at plain old stereo receivers. The Denon DRA-685 has lots of watts, a tape loop and pre out/main in jacks which are just the ticket for things like external EQ's. List price for it is $499. Similarly, the Onkyo TX-8211 offers a tape loop and costs $250.

6. Wayne Reibold

Regarding "Is selling them an option?" the answer is NO. They have custom installed them hanging from the ceiling and are happy with them.

7. Wayne Reibold

My parents do have 5 channels but their sources are only VCR and DirecTV so they're not using Dolby Digital and DTS. It would be nice if I could upgrade them to DPL II vs. DPL though.

8. John Sully

OK. The lowest model in the Denon lineup which has a tape loop is the 2802. This is the third model up in the lineup and is probably about where you should start looking in other brands lines for units with a tape loop.

As suggested elsewhere, your best bet might be the H/K AVR 520 which has pre out/main in jacks. Given the difficulty of operating the tape monitor function on most modern receivers pre out/main in is going to provide the easiest operation.

It does seem pretty clear that you are not going to get away with an entry level receiver, however. It does seem to me that the key feature to look for is mult-room or multi-zone capability. This generally will give you a tape monitor loop since the preamp is able to deal with two sources at once -- essential for a tape loop.

9. Wyatt_Y

Wyatt_Y Stunt Coordinator

A couple of thoughts....

1) The 901's can handle lots of power - a consideration when using lower-end receivers....I think some of the Bose 701/901 negativity comes from driving them without enough power....

2) Its good they're only using two channel (non-digital)sources since most A/V receivers with a tape loop will switch to analog mode when the tape loop is selected....

Wyatt

10. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

I'm curious. How do you plan on running this?

I do not think that an A/V receiver will run just the main L/R of a 5.1 (DD/DTS) source through the tape monitor. If your folks are looking for a stereo receiver I will echo the previous recommendations, and add that I've been very happy with my Harmon Kardon HK3270 analog stereo receiver.

If you're running in a 5.1 system I think you need to set up the EQ between the pre-out and the post-in on a preamp out post in loop on the main L/R speakers. This will severely limit your choices.

11. Peter Johnson

Peter Johnson Stunt Coordinator

I own a pair of 901's, series 2.

I have never found ANY AV reciever which will driver them.

You need to hook up the EQ via a preout/mainin jack.

All receivers I have tried it on (few have the required jack), have gone into protection when I tried.

12. Kevin P

Kevin P Screenwriter

Although almost all receivers have tape in/out not all have the "tape monitor" feature that allows you to play a source to the tape deck (or EQ in this case) and listen to the tape ins at the same time. This is what you need to use an EQ. Also, if you go 5.1 chances are you won't be able to use the tape loop and 5.1 at the same time.

Some receivers (at least used to) have a pre-out/main amp in loop, my old Sony Prologic receiver had this, which made hooking up an EQ a cinch. But if the 901s are inefficient, I would want a more robust amp anyway than a mainstream Sony receiver.

The best overall solution (though more expensive) is a separate pre-amp and amp, with the EQ connected in between.

KJP

13. Peter Johnson

Peter Johnson Stunt Coordinator

Yeah, you cant use the tape loop and 5.1 at the same time...thats why you need the preout/main in jacks.

But the recievers go into protection..I dont know why.

14. JoanPablo_T

JoanPablo_T Stunt Coordinator

For music the receiver has to have a 'Tape Monitor'-most Yamaha's do!

for Home Theater you need main Amp in/Pre out. Call BOSE and they can fax you a list of HT receivers that will work. Nice and simnple!

See ya!

JP