bose 901 s

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by joyanS, Jun 14, 2002.

1. joyanS

joyanS Auditioning

i recently bought myself a mitsubishi 65" hdtv but set the theater up temporarily with my old bose 901 speakers as front speakers and pld boston acoustics center and rear.do not have asub woofer yey.if i want to keep the bose 901s as front anybody has any sggestions as to what i need for the rest of the speakers and the sub woofer. or os it a bad idea, to use these bose's.appreciate your thoughts. joyant

2. Frank Zimkas

Frank Zimkas Supporting Actor

Welcome aboard,
    Your in big trouble now...This HT stuff is highly addictive[​IMG]
    Your better off getting rid of the BOSE speakers and start over with a new speaker package. I think that you'll have a hard time enjoying the sound from 2 speakers that were designed to bounce sound off the walls and other surfaces(hence the name Direct Reflecting) and surround speakers that were not designed to do so. As you will soon find out Bose speakers are not widely accepted around here. Many people feel that Bose is a great marketer of poor speakers at an inflated price and I would have to agree.
    Your should determine what your budget is going to be and then audition as many brands that you can within that price range. You also need to figure out how many speakers you are going to need 5.1, 6.1, or 7.1. How about your audio equipment? Is it ready willing and able to offer-up DD,DD-EX, DTS, THX, SACD, DVD-Audio, Progressive Scan, etc, etc.
    I guess the point is that speakers are only a small (although important) part of the "Big Picture" and it really doesn't make a lot of sense to short change yourself on the quality of the audio when you've got a great tv to watch. HDTV deserves top quality audio.
    Here's the place to start.
    http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...threadid=55635

3. Justin Bowser

joyanS,

Don't ever admit to anybody on any of these forums that you own a Bose product, Frank was one of the nicer respondents!

I use a Bose AM5 system (donning nomex drawers... ;-))for my surrounds (white and almost invisible, that was a mandate from wife.gov) a Bose VCS10 center, JBL PB10 sub, and I have built in a pair of JBL S38 in my entertainment center for main L&R. I am pretty happy with the sound, although I am not an audiophile by any stretch of the imagination.

You didn't mention anything about budget so everything is wide open. If you are on a budget the first thing I would do would be to KEEP the 901s and get a sub. IMHO I think a sub is about the most dramatic thing you can add. The size will depend on your room size but the 10" JBL PB10 sounds excellent in my living room.

Get a sub, a calibration disc (I have the Video Essentials disc), the Radio Shack Sound Meter, and calibrate your levels and listen for a while and see what you think...

Good luck,

Justin B.

4. Jason Wilcox

Jason Wilcox Supporting Actor

You should really get boston fronts to match your center as well as a sub. You could get a bose center to match the 901's. But that'd be like taking 1 step forward and 2 steps back. You may want to email boston acoustics to see what speakers will match your center (maybe something new?). The sub you should get depends on how much you'd be willing to spend. Throw out an estimate of $$ (as well as room size and what you listen to more...music or movies) and we'll throw out some suggestions.

5. joyanS

joyanS Auditioning

thanks alot for the info,guys.this tv is now in my basement size about 15'X 35'.i already bose lifestyle in my family room for the last four years and they are a poor imitation of theater sound.the size of that room or location of the speakers make it so or what, i dont know.but it just plain doesnt cut it.anyway, my budhet is not limited as long as it does not go over 2500$.any further suggestions are apprecited.

6. Frank Zimkas

Frank Zimkas Supporting Actor

I'm a big Polk Audio fan so thats what I'd suggest. It really boils down to personal taste though. So get as many recommendations and opinions as possible, make a list of what you might want and go listen to em. You'll have a blast and end up getting what YOU like.

Keep us informed.