BOSE 701's w/ angled in tweeters...superior design?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Bob_A, Oct 29, 2001.

1. Bob_A

Bob_A Supporting Actor

What do you guys think about this design? These new 701's have their tweeters angled in sharply...so they would probably need no toe in. Would this help imaging? Would this help anchor vocals to the center?
    Has anyone found these newer BOSE speakers to be even close to other highly regarded speakers in the price range?

2. Charles J P

Charles J P Cinematographer

CJ Paul
    I doubt the would help with imaging. One of the things that bose has always strived for in their NON acusti-mass cube systems is a diffuse sound (although they do strive for that there too, but with different methods and results). They claim that sound doesnt come from one source in the real world, so why should it come from one source on your speaker. The "problem" it creates is that you end up with a speaker that is like turning your Hall mode on your processor but you cant turn it off. Since imiging requires quite a bit of precision to percieve, I doubt bose's here-a -driver-there-a-driver-everywhere-a-driver method would really help much. Bose also neglects to admit that you can create that "wall of sound" with a pair of regular speakers if you have the will and the know how, and you dont sacrifice the directionality that is required for good imaging.
    ------------------
    My Website: http://www.hometheaterfanatic.com
    e-mail me: cpaul@hometheaterfanatic.com
    My DVD Profiler
    Paradigm Lover

3. JerryW

JerryW Supporting Actor

Exactly right Charles. Great imaging (without sacrificing dynamic range) can be achieved with any pair of quality speakers if you're willing to invest some time and effort in placement. It took me quite a while, but now I have perfect imaging (as perfect as I can get in my price range) with incredible range... when you close your eyes, my spks completely disappear. The problem with Bose is that they attempt to immitate this effect with gimmicks and the implementation, although innovative, produces sub-par results (and yes, I have listened to many Bose systems before).
    Bottom line: There's no replacement for spending your time with a quality set of speakers and tuning them to your listening area. Any other approach will always produce half-assed results.
    ------------------
    September 11, 2001
    "Those who died will always be remembered.
    Those who killed will never be forgotten.
    We who remain will not let it happen again."
    [Edited last by JerryW on October 29, 2001 at 07:53 AM]

4. Brett DiMichele

Brett DiMichele Producer

BOSE:Better sound through marketing
    ------------------
    [​IMG]
    Brett DiMichele
    My Home Theater Site!
    brettd@westol.com

5. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

6. MatthewJ S

MatthewJ S Supporting Actor

If I had a perfect (or even acoustically decent) room and could set up my King seat in just the right spot, and acoustically treat the room properly,then I would use a foward array or planar speaker (I have had these kind of set-ups and they are magnificent,for one or two ideal seats) but many of the systems that I set up (including my own) are in rooms that are less "dedicated home theater" and more "family room". I think that maybe ,as poorly as they implement it, Bose's idea is to produce a larger soundstage than most of their customers could otherwise get, and from more conventional seating arrangements.
    I like my Mirages for the way they achieve what they intend...to each his own, well, as long as it isn't cr@p!
    ha-ha

7. Thomas_A

Thomas_A Second Unit

Well...I did get to here a pair of 701's and its smaller brother: Lots of bass from these speakers... muddy un-defined bass... reminds me of the bass from a stock car audio system....the mids... still looking for them..and had some highs..but not very detailed. This was running of an Onkyo reciever.... not very impressive for the price...
    ------------------
    So far, So good, So what
    http://members.cardomain.com/bugers
    http://thomas2307.homestead.com/thomasworld.html

8. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

"BOSE" and "superior design" do not go together. I don't care what fancy new "technology" they come up with.
    ------------------
    My:
    HT Pics ; Equipment List ; DVD Collection ; LD Collection
    KeithH: Saving the Home Theater World Before Bedtime

9. Luis A

Luis A Second Unit

All highs no lows must be BOSE.

10. JohnnyG

JohnnyG Screenwriter

I thought that was "NO highs, no lows, must be BOSE!"