Bose 321 ????????????

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mark Stone, Dec 11, 2001.

1. Mark Stone

Mark Stone Auditioning

I received a 321 Bose system for Christmas. The DVD player locked up right away, but Bose was very gracious and is overnighting a new contol center to me. After reading comments on Bose on this forum, I am wondering if I should take it back and purchase something else. Can anyone help?[​IMG]

2. Ken Seeber

Ken Seeber Supporting Actor

Wow, that was a hell of a lot of question marks.

There is an unofficial saying at the Home Theater Forum: "Friends don't let friends buy Bose."

Bose makes stuff that sounds OK. The only trouble is that it is way, way overpriced. The 3-2-1 System --- essentially two minispeakers and a clcok radio with a DVD player built into it --- sells for $1,000. For that kind of scratch you could have a really respectable surround sound system, complete with five high-quality bookshelf speakers.

3. Mark Stone

Mark Stone Auditioning

Obviously you are an intelligent individual as you are from Illinois, the home of the Fighting Illini. Do you have any suggestions?

4. Mike Witt

Mike Witt Stunt Coordinator

Mark, go to the link below and do a little reading. This guy trashes BOSE pretty well and even has measurements to back up what he says. He also has a BOSE Alternatives section with a table and several respected brands of speaker alternatives to BOSE. This Alternatives Table should get you pointed in the right direction for the same price (or less) than your BOSE system. In short, the advice at HTF is generally gonna be, return those BOSE while you still can. Good luck!
    http://www.geocities.com/trustnoho/boseframes.html

5. BryanZ

BryanZ Screenwriter

Okay. I'd take back the Bose system. For a $1K starter system, I'd go with:

Kenwood HTB-504 - $400

Panasonic RV-31 - $180

Upgrade sub to Adire Audio Rava - $400

Now if you can afford an additional $800 on top of the 321 refund:

Adire Audio Rava - $400

nOrh wood 4.0 package - $775

Panasonic RV-31 - $180

Denon AVR-1802 - $400

Quality, as they say, is job 1.

6. Thomas_Berg

Thomas_Berg Screenwriter

Thomas
    for $1K it's hard to beat this:
    Kenwood VR-507 or 509 on clearance ($250-300)
    JBL NSP1 speaker package ($299 at www.jandr.com)
    Sony SA-WM40 subwoofer (~$150 at Best Buy)
    Panasonic RV31 DVD player (~$175 online, or a little more locally)
    if you could afford about $150 over the refund price, get a Hsu VTF-2 subwoofer for ~$425 online. for about $1150, this system will slap that Bose setup back and forth! take that Bose crap back and get a real 5.1 setup...nothing with only 2 speakers will compare to a true 5.1 setup.

7. Ken Seeber

Ken Seeber Supporting Actor

Mark,
    The Illini aren't bad, but they have nowhere near the spirit of the Salukis!
    To answer your question, here are a few nice components to get you thinking:
    Onkyo TX-DS595 receiver, $360 online.
    Panasonic, Sony or Pioneer DVD player, $170.
    PSB Alpha 5.1 speaker package, $450 online, available here:http://www.reliableaudiovideo.com/psbalinmodin.html
    Sony SA-WM40 subwoofer, $150.
    The total for the above comes to $1,130. You could downgrade to the Onkyo TX-DS494 receiver to either hit the $1,000 mark or spend the savings for a nicer set of PSB Alpha speakers.