Bose 301 speakers......any good?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by SteveSpoon, Feb 5, 2004.

1. SteveSpoon

SteveSpoon Stunt Coordinator

Am considering pickup up a pair of these speakers for surround speakers, the Series 2 (mid 80's speakers). Your input appreciated if these will work good for surround speakers. Thanks.

Steve

2. greg baker

greg baker Stunt Coordinator

They will work well only if you don't hook them up and put some decent surrounds on top of them. Seriously, you will find alot of Bose bashers around here and I am sure few will recommended them. What is the rest of your setup? Unless you are getting them ultra cheap you can do better.

Greg

3. SteveSpoon

Actually, I had a pair a long, long time ago when I was in the military, way back in the mid-80's. I liked them.

To be honest, just want to pick up a pair to "relive my youth".....is that reason enough to buy them??!!

Steve

4. David Judah

David Judah Screenwriter

They make great computer speakers(I'm not being flippant--I really do use them as computer speakers).

I think because of the direct/reflecting orientation they could make decent surrounds if placed right, but I agree you could do better if you're paying retail.

DJ

5. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

Goodness! what is with all these bose threads lately!

No, get something better, for way less money. Or spend the same amount of money and get something that isn't even in the same universe. Unless you can pick em up for a few bucks at a garage sale, or are trying to look "cool," theres a lot better out there. Try paradigm as a good starting point. Atoms at $189 will smash any bose consumer speaker in existance. Including the 901s, which are, what, >1k nowadays?

6. ChrisArmour

ChrisArmour Stunt Coordinator

I wouldnt pay more than $25 for them. Before you buy, make sure that you thoroughly check out the foam surrounds on all of the drivers, unless they have already been replaced, the life of that foam should be expired(you will probably be able to poke your finger through the surround).

7. Robert_Gaither

Robert_Gaither Screenwriter

Why not get a used pair of Nhts, Paradigm, B&W, etc... why pay more for less?

8. ChrisArmour

ChrisArmour Stunt Coordinator

You're right $25 is too much for 20 year old 301's. Make that, "I wouldnt pay more than $10 for them".

9. Mikey Ber

Mikey Ber Stunt Coordinator

Professor Bose drives a Bentley, and he thanks you.[​IMG]

10. Nick Breckon

Nick Breckon Stunt Coordinator

Maybe we need a Bose Hate-ahs thread permanently stuck to the top of the page here? Sure would save on time and effort. First post - you can get more for your money.

Second post.. well, you really don't need one, do you?

11. Philip>L

Philip>L Stunt Coordinator

As Bose goes, the 301's are some of the best speakers they make, IMHO. I'm using them for surrounds now, though they'll soon be for sale...

12. Chris Quinn

Chris Quinn Screenwriter

There are a lot better ways to relive your youth. The backseat comes to mind.[​IMG] If they are cheap and give you sentimental value why not?

13. SteveSpoon

"There are a lot better ways to relive your youth. The backseat comes to mind."

Now that is funny! Thanks for the help.

Steve