BOSE 201 Series IV

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by TheodoreQ, Feb 18, 2005.

1. TheodoreQ

TheodoreQ Extra

2. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

Nobody on this site is going to recommend Bose brand speakers. They are generally derided as offering very poor performance for the dollar.

3. TheodoreQ

TheodoreQ Extra

oh really, i always thought of BOSE as being one of the top brands out there.

4. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    There are a LOT of people who think that. That doesn't mean it's true.

5. BruceD

BruceD Screenwriter

That's what Bose marketing would like you to believe, because marketing is where most of their money goes (i.e. not into quality product materials).

The only possibility for a yes is between BOSE speakers and no speakers at all, and even then I might not.

My ex had BOSE 301 speakers and they were simply the worst I've ever heard.

6. TheodoreQ

TheodoreQ Extra

oh man Bose is definetly not getting love around here!

7. MikeyWeitz

MikeyWeitz Supporting Actor

You will not find any home theater/ audio forum on the web that will have anything good to say about Bose, except, maybe, if Bose has their own forums.

8. TheodoreQ

TheodoreQ Extra

lol [​IMG]

9. Ian_Woods

Ian_Woods Agent

No highs no low must, be a Bose!

10. Charlie Campisi

Charlie Campisi Screenwriter

If you are interested in buying speakers, you should post your budget, what they will be used for (_% home theater, _% music), how many speakers you want (2.0, 5.1, 6.1, 7.1) what receiver you have or would like, room dimensions, etc. Otherwise, this will just be a Bose-bashing thread.

11. John Garcia

John

And with good reason. They EARNED the retutation they get here and many other forums.

Basically, for the price, there are dozens of good speakers that will be as good or better, and probably in both cases, still cost less.

12. Phil Iturralde

Phil Iturralde Screenwriter

13. MikeLi

MikeLi Supporting Actor

Bose is a bad word on any speaker forum. The only thing that Bose does good are their noise cancelling headphones. I had several others, my business partner loaned me his series II's for a plane trip and I was immediatly sold. They are not cheap as anything with Bose at $299 but I would have paid more for them as they were that good. I have great studio phones at home that sound better no doubt about it but for sound in a noisy place like a plane, never heard it so good.

14. Kenneth Harden

Kenneth Harden Screenwriter

Bose: Better Sound Through Marketing.

[​IMG]

I have listened to most of the Bose stuff. The 151/161/191's are TERRIBLE. THis is compared to ANYTHING at ANY price, simply TERRIBLE.

The 201/301's are 'just OK' - but should be sold for half or more off their current price (even then, they would still not be good speakers) - they use cheap paper cones (non treated, low quality), poor quality foam surrounds, and CONE TWEETERS!!! (most speakers about $50/pr. have stepped UP from cone tweeters!)

The 3.2.1 system is 'cute', but technically, just lame. The sound isn't impressive at all.

The Lifestyle systems (sounds like a line of condoms [​IMG] ) are vastly overpriced and are not at all impressive.

Build qiality is terrible on all their products - they look nice, but break and fall apart in a hurry.

The company is getting more competition and I have a hunch the brand image is starting to taper off. I am very excited to see where Bose will be in 5 years. Excited = thinking they will start to loose some serious ground.

15. John Garcia

John
    I have to agree that the noise cancelling headphones are quite good. I bought a pair for my father last x-mas and I tried them out - very nice.