What's new

Bosch - The Amazon Prime Series (1 Viewer)

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
We tried watching that the other night. Previously we had watched a movie on Prime that looked fine. Bosch was very dark, image wise. Scenes in bright sunlight were dark. I'd be interested in watching the show except for this issue. I tried adjusting the brightness and that only washed it out. Is this inherent in the program itself?

Has anyone else noticed this?

My TV is a new LG 65UH8500 and this is the only show I've noticed this on.

George_W_K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
George
I did not have any problems with season one or two. The black levels on season one were more grayish for me, with season two looking much better. Neither season was too dark though. LG EF9500.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I did not have any problems with season one or two. The black levels on season one were more grayish for me, with season two looking much better. Neither season was too dark though. LG EF9500.
Black levels? I'll check that out.

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
We didn't have this problem either when we watched the series. I recently got a new UHD set too and sampled Bosch again to see how it looked in UHD and it looked good.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
We didn't have this problem either when we watched the series. I recently got a new UHD set too and sampled Bosch again to see how it looked in UHD and it looked good.
Must be something with my setup.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I enjoyed both seasons of Bosch, and season two at least is offered in Dolby Vision HDR for the 4K version.

When can we expect Season three? I know it was renewed.

gadgtfreek

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason
Season one was not done correctly, this was talked about last year a lot because tons of people noticed season 2 looked better.

gadgtfreek

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason
I think the way they mastered the HDR. One of the calibrators at AVS explained it, and why season 2 looks much better. I can't remember the tech details, but it isnt your setups fault, its the studios fault.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Resurrecting this thread because I just finished the first season, and really enjoyed it. Within the confines of television conventions and crime thriller conventions, this came the closest I've seen to achieving verisimilitude. The homicide detectives' bullpen is the closest I've seen to the real detectives' desks I've seen. And the pacing of the civil case against Bosch captures just how slow the legal system moves.

Pretty solid cast from top to bottom. The one character I hope they lose going forward is the incompetent captain who's always trying to screw over Bosch. In a world that's pretty grounded, he feels like a cardboard cutout TV character.

It'd be cool if this show and The Lincoln Lawyer were set in the same universe, and Matthew McConaughey guest starred down the road. Sort of like how Carla Gugino popped up as Karen Sisco (or as close to Karen Sisco as the show could legally come) on "Justified".

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Love the show and have watched all the seasons with great relish. Always eager for another season of Bosch. As with all streaming shows, even when I watch them in moderation (one episode every day or two), they're over too quickly and then there is the long wait for another season to be produced.

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I paid to watch the first season on Amazon, but for some reason the other seasons are not available to rent, and I'm just not a high volume customer enough to pay for Prime. And they're not available on BD either. To further confuse me, as a WGA member I received screeners of five other Amazon series seasons (Jack Ryan, Man in High Castle, Goliath, Patriot, Forever) but not this one. That tells me Amazon not really high on this getting any awards. Does anyone recommend any of those other series I know zero about?

My take on the first season, which combined a couple of the books (as I imagine other seasons will do), is that I found it slightly corny. Dialogue and attitudes that play well in print, for some reason, don't translate entirely as well in script form. That's why book writers usually step aside for scriptwriters in feature and series presentations (I'm looking at you, Stephen King).

I didn't like the cutaway focus on the life of Waits, the serial killer. The book obviously was entirely from Bosch' perspective and didn't have that. They tried to open that up showing Waits' home life with his mother, etc. It just seemed an awkward fit for me, adding that cat and mouse angle with him on the phone to Bosch. It turned what was written as a mystery into a more standard and cliche TV procedural trying to add that creepy touch.

I thought the City of Bones plotline played okay, but as I recall the book, doesn't Brasher die of her accidental inflicted gunshot wound she gets pulling out the handcuffs for Stokes? I guess they want to keep the actress around for future seasons as a potential antagonist, former love interest.

When I first moved to Hollywood I actually lived across the street from that Hollywood Police Station on Wilcox that is prominently featured throughout. My apartment was above two bail bond offices directly across the street from the station. I should have known it was a scary neighborhood at the time ('78) because that station had NO WINDOWS. It was like a bunker in the middle of a war zone. I had gunfights and foot chases on my roof, a metro crime helicopter spotlight in my bedroom window almost every night, had to step over junkies to walk to dinner on Hollywood Boulevard, and they were zipping up a body bag with a corpse below the apartment mailboxes one day when I went to fetch my mail. I moved out to the beach the next month. But it was fun to see my building again from those aerials they use throughout the series.

I'd like to see the future seasons if Amazon will open them for rent (or send me a screener), but like many adaptations, I enjoyed the books more (though Titus is a good choice for the lead, if he stops craning his neck at an angle every shot).

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Just finished the second season. Didn't enjoy it quite as much as the first season, which had me hooked from beginning to end, but I was happy to spend another 10 episodes with these characters. The biggest weakness for me was that George Irving's storyline was too separate from Bosch's storyline for way too long in the season. The first season rarely deviated from Bosch's point of view, and was stronger for it. Doozy of an ending, though, on multiple levels.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cennetkaralowa