Bosch 1613AEVSK vs. Dewalt DW621

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by jeff lam, Jan 7, 2002.

1. jeff lam

jeff lam Screenwriter

Jeff Lam
    I'm ready to buy a router(first one) and have heard very good things about each of these. They are close to the same price but Amazon is running a special coupon for $35 off the bosch found at toolseeker so the bosch will be cheaper by a little. What are your experiences with each and which would be best for speakerbuilding? Any other suggestions

2. Pete Mazz

Pete Mazz Supporting Actor

Is that the Bosch 1617? If it is then that's a really nice router. I've never used the DeWalt, but have other DeWalt tools and like them. I've read that people that have this one with the dust collection ability really seem to like that feature. I wouldn't hesitate to buy either one.

Pete

3. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Jeff,

I bought the DeWalt last month because of the great dust collection capabilites it has. I haven't actually used it yet but figured if it was good enough for ThomasW that it'd be good enough for me!

Brian

4. SalMaglie

SalMaglie Stunt Coordinator

You might want to look at the new Bosch 1617EVSPK. For about $40 more than the one you're looking at, you get both the plunge and fixed-bases. However it is over that $200 limit. Other options you could consider if you just want a plunge router would be the Hitachi 12MV or the Freud FT2000E. Both of these are powerful routers with 15 amp motors. Not trying to change your mind or anything, just trying to get you as bewildered as I am with all the great choices out there. [​IMG]

5. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

I also have the Porter Cable router with the fixed and plunge bases. I don't remember the model number off hand but they're usually $199 at HD or Lowe's. I've been using it for the last year and love it. I just bought the DeWalt for dust collection since it will be used indoors.

Brian

6. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Producer

An addendum, I shouldn't have said "flawless". [​IMG] The base of the 621 is a little strange, it's not a nice big circle. This doesn't matter with the Jasper attached, but for doing roundovers, rabbets and such, I'd prefer a larger base (I can't see why they did it that way). I've seen some thick acrylic ones on the market, so I may get one of them. I do love the balance, size, and power of it, though, and the plunge action is very smooth.

7. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Jack,

I just leave the Jasper on my PC router all the time. Even for doing roundovers until I need to use the 3/4" bit, which is too big. Then I have a MDF base I made with a 3" hole in the middle to accomodate the large bit.

Brian

8. Pete Mazz

Pete Mazz Supporting Actor

Jack,

I keep some acrylic around the shop just for tool bases. Just get a pre-cut sheet from a plastics distributor and cut whatever size and shape you want. I have 1/4" and 3/8" for different setups.

The Bosch 1617EVSPK is the one I saw on Amazon for ~$170. Nice kit.

Pete

9. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Jack,

Like I said I haven't tried the DeWalt router at all yet. It does appear to be a bit more bulky than the PC router. I tried using just the regular base doing 1/2" roundovers on my ACI Emeralds and damn near ruined them trying to keep the router base level. Thank God for 60 grit sandpaper and foam rubber sanding blocks! I probably have a tendancy to get down a little too close to the router and actually watch the bearing riding the side of the enclosure. I will sometimes make a second pass if I didn't keep it against the enclosure in some spots.

Brian

10. dave shreve

dave shreve Extra

I thought long and hard about getting the DeWalt. It was my first choice. However, I decided that for what I plan to do I just couldn't justify it. Harbor Freight has refurbished Skil 1645 routers(2hp, variable speed, soft start) on sale for just $59. If I decided to really get into woodworking, then maybe I'll buy something nicer.

-dave

11. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Dave,

Just be careful! I already burned up one of those Skil routers! Just take it slow as it's not as sturdy as my PC.

Brian

12. jeff lam

jeff lam Screenwriter

Jeff Lam
    Brian,

I took a look at that Porter Cable router also. That one looks good too. I like the switchable base feature. You can use the plunge base with the jasper and the regular base for roundovers.

Add one more router to my list, now which one do I choose?

13. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Jeff,

To tell you the truth, I never use the fixed base on the router. I just set the depth on the plunge base and lock it into place. As a matter of fact, I never take the Jasper Jig off unless I have to use my 3/4" roundover bit, which requires a larger hole in the base than the Jasper has.

Brian

14. jeff lam

jeff lam Screenwriter

Jeff Lam
    Brian,

Do you find it easier to do roundovers with the plunge base?

15. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Jeff,

It's not really a matter of easier, just more convenient and less time consuming. You need a plunge router anyway if you're going to cut out driver holes. If you have to choose between a router with a plunge base or fixed base, definitely go for the plunge base.

Brian