Borrow from 401K or cash in my CD

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Jay H, Oct 27, 2005.

1. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    I will be closing on a house (primary residence) in December and would need about $60k down after all the fees, I'm wondering if you financial gurus out there would recommend that I either

1)Borrow from my 401k, which I can borrow up to $50k on
    2)Cash in a $50k CD early (maturity is 8/06). Penalty is 3 months interest.

Now, I know the pros and cons of borrowing from the 401k, i.e. interest you pay on the loan goes into the 401k. If I get laid off or fired, it's treated like a withdrawal, penalties, must be repaid within 60 days, etc. etc.

I don't need much and the only reason I'm considering this is I'd like to keep at least $10k in the bank for my platinum account. I think I'll at most need $10-$15 to meet my closing costs so it's nothing earth shattering.

Assuming I can still contribute to my 401k pretax while I have the loan out, which source do you think I should exercise, cash in my CD early or just borrow a bit from my 401k plan?

jay

2. Kirk Gunn

Kirk Gunn Screenwriter

Most plans will let you continue to pay it off as long as you continue to hold the 401k. I've taken 2 loans on 401k's, then switched jobs. The plan holders (Aetna, then TRowe) allowed me to continue making payments.

Not saying that is what is best for you.... I would think the return on your 401k is better than the CD.

3. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    My 401k is through Wells Fargo and yes, my return on the 401k is better than my CD which is like a measely 2.85% when I first got it 2 years ago (9 month, matured in 8/05, reneewed for a year cause I missed the renewal)

Jay