1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Born on the Fourth of July special edition...

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Louis_P, Aug 2, 2004.

1. Paul.S

Paul.S Producer

Paul

The Thing and now this from Universal.

For better and worse, at least for U, I think anamorphic telecine might just be getting subsumed into the category of things that can be done to "repurpose" a title and reintroduce it to the marketplace. It's not mere coincidence methinks that--just as papers as mainstream as USA Today are doing stories on the studios' double/multiple dipping with numerous DVD releases of a title--we're seeing some titles released anamorphic that have long been MIA in that regard. Critical as I may be of multiple releases (anamorphic or not), one need not look further than the "Extended Explosive Edition" of Bourne Identity topping the sales charts to find evidence that--odious as it may be--commercially, the strategy works in some respects.

On the one hand, I'm happy to see the anamorphic re-release. On the other, I do feel we should have been seeing this years ago. Although I finally got a widescreen set recently, these releases are happening 'late' enough for me to be cautious about what I'm buying given what may happen with Bluray 'vs.' HD-DVD in the near future.

Clearly I think there's going to be less time between now and the domestic rollout of whatever flavor of hi def DVD than there has been between the explosion of DVD and Universal finally pulling their head out and releasing an anamorphic transfer of a major, Acadey Award-winning movie starring one of our biggest stars.

I'm very interested to see what supps are on this re-release. That will play a large role in whether or not I think of this as the definitive DVD release of the film or yet another missed opportunity.

-p

2. Sten F

Sten F Second Unit

This is one of Cruise´s best performances... if not THE best.

3. JoshB

JoshB Supporting Actor

Joshua Bal
    Universal seems to be on the rebound recently when it comes to revisiting its older selections, such as Scarface and Field of Dreams Anniversary Edition, now they are doing The Thing and Born on the 4th of July. Althoug they are only givng The Thing an anamorphic transfer (much needed) perhaps it is a sign of things to come.

There are certainly many more titles from them that they could redo. I'm personally hoping for newer editions of 12 Monkeys and Far and Away.

4. Paul.S

Paul.S Producer

Paul

Josh, on Monkeys are you, too, hoping for DTS and "Hamster Factor" on one disc? Here's hoping that Born is the beginning of a process that sees U going back and re-releasing those early separate DD w/ supps/DTS sans supps discs. At least this, Monkeys and Apollo 13 would be nice . . .

I thought this would happen back when U was doing the "Ultimate Edition" line. But I guess they were just too busy with the Patch Adams and Meet Joe Black UEs . . . [​IMG]

"Jaded, party of one? Your table is ready."

[​IMG]

-p

5. JoshB

JoshB Supporting Actor

Joshua Bal
    Yes, DTS and Hamster Factor on the disc. A commentary from Gilliam would not hurt either, along with any other supplements Universal could come up with. I'm actually suprised that many I talk to have not heard of this film before. IT was one fo the best Sci-Fi films of the 90s and got Oscar nominations for Costume Design and Supporting Actor Brad Pitt.

6. Paul.S

Paul.S Producer

Paul
    "Expect the extras to be basically the same as what was on the previous edition" sayeth Bill Hunt today.

-p

7. Matthew_S

Matthew_S Second Unit

FINALLY. I've been posting and writing and basically being a huge pain in the butt about a decent transfer of this great film for awhile. Was hugely disappointed when the Stone box set came out and saw that Born looked as bad as it did on my old laserdisc. I don't quite understand why they've released this twice and haven't gotten it right but i'm glad. Wish there were more special features (documentary, deleted scenes) but a good transfer will be awesome. The Stone commentary is as usual, great.

8. Patrick Mirza

Patrick Mirza Supporting Actor

Official extras from Universal:

Commentary Track with Stone
    AMC Backstory Featurette

9. Chad Ferguson

Chad Ferguson Supporting Actor

Another abuse of the Special Edition titling. And once again, not doing this great movie any justice.

10. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert

An overstatment about the "abuse" based on the apparent improvements on the presentation and extra material especially since the MSRP is $19.98 and I'm going to be able to purchase this title for $13.99. I'm sure if we received some of the outtakes, the price would've been $6-7 more, but to me the theatrical release is what's important to me.

Crawdaddy

11. Phil K

Phil K Auditioning

About time this great film gets a better picture treatment. I thought the DTS track on the old edition was great! Crystal clear and great workout for the sub in the Vietnam beach scenes. Music was very good on that one too.

One question remains though: will this new edition contain the same commentary track of the previous disk included in the Oliver Stone pack? Since in that Oliver talked about the lousy transfer [​IMG] If he did a new one, he might have thrown in some comments about current wars too...

12. JonZ

JonZ Lead Actor

In all honesty Im just happy to have it 16x9 with DTS.
    One of the most underrated films ever made.IMHO its a masterpiece.

13. Sam Favate

Sam Favate Lead Actor

Sam Favate
    I ordered this one -- it comes out Oct. 19, right? Looking forward to seeing it again. One of the great films of the 80s and one of the great films about the 60s.

14. Marty M

Marty M Cinematographer

I will even go further to say this is one of the best scores, period. The Tim Morrison trumpet solos are so haunting I get goose bumps every time I hear the soundtrack.

15. todd stone

todd stone Screenwriter

agreed, awesome soundtrack

16. JonZ

JonZ Lead Actor

AAARRGHHH!

I just realized today is the 12th not the 19th.
    I was gonna go out at lunch and pick this up [​IMG]

17. Nathan V

Nathan V Supporting Actor

This comes out in a couple hours. Why are there no reviews? Can anyone comment on video quality?

Thanks,
    Nathan

18. Doug Schiller

Doug Schiller Supporting Actor

Still no reviews yet?
    I'm planning on picking it up tonight.
    I wonder if they will finally include the excellent "For What its Worth" trailer that hasn't made it on any version yet.

My second favorite Stone flic and favorite score of all time.

19. Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson Lead Actor

If you're looking for reviews from other sites, I don't think Uni sent out any screeners. I've been badgering them to land copies of this and The Thing without success so far. As for why no members have commented on it... that I don't know!

20. Henry Gale

Henry Gale Producer

Henry Gale
    [