What's new

Born On The Fourth Of July - Excellent Movie! (1 Viewer)

Rich Romero

Supporting Actor
I just caught this last night on tv. Full screen but oh well. Easily Tom Cruise's best performance. You can definitely feel the anger that he has for america once he gets back and you can feel it too just watching it. I wanted to kick the asses of all the rich boys at the republican national convention. What does everyone think of this movie. It ins't as highly regarded as other Oliver Stone flicks like Platoon, but I liked it just as much.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Absolutly, I love this film and feel that Tom Cruise is at his very best here playing Ron Kovick. And, at the risk of furthuring a cliche that's been building here about myself, he should have won an Oscar for it.

Mark Palermo

Second Unit
I think Born on the Fourth of July is a much better film than Platoon--a true masterpiece, and a harrowing epic. The DVD, unfortunately, looks about as awful as Scarface, but it cleans up a bit near the end. It's almost worth getting just for Stone's commentary, which gets nearly as emotional as the film itself.

Mark

MichaelAW

Second Unit
Every time I see this movie, I feel that it's one of the best ever made. Then, I go a few years without seeing it and sort of forget about it (in lieu of Stone's other masterpieces like JFK and Natural Born Killers, which are more memorable to me).
It was shown on Swedish TV Thursday night, and while I didn't catch it, I was reminded of it again, and now regret not seeing it. Maybe I should pick up the DVD...

Bruce Hedtke

Senior HTF Member
This definitely needs a new, proper DVD release. As for the film itself, truly great. I could have done without alot of the Willem Dafoe scenes but it balances out nicely.

Bruce

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
I agree that this is a fantastic movie and a great performance from Tom Cruise and Oliver Stone. However I still think that Salvador is the best Stone movie out there.
:emoji_thumbsup:

Paul_D

Senior HTF Member
I absolutely adore this film. Tom Cruise is AMAZING in this role. His passion and commitment to acting shines through. I'm fairly certain it wasn't the desired affect, but I couldn't stop laughing at the scene where he freaks out in the hospital. Perhaps not what they were going for, but still very moving. :b

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Let's refrain from the political rhetoric in discussing this fine film. Thank you.
Crawdaddy

Fred Bang

Stunt Coordinator
I also agree that this is one of my top 20 movies. I just love the cut between the "MoonRiver" dance scene and Vietnam. Tom Cruise has been of my top actors since that movie.

By the way, how's the DVD?

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
Both versions have crappy, non-anamorphic video (looks to be a D2 composite master used to make the LD, but the DTS DVD version is FULL bitrate and is of high caliber allowing John Williams' powerful score to shine and the depth of the war sound effects to come through.

If they could do a SuperBit like DVD with a brand new, pristine HD transfer, but with the full bitrate DTS track from the previous release I would be very happy.

Dan

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks