Born Free or Hatari! ?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Paul_Scott, Mar 8, 2003.

1. Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott Lead Actor

was looking to pick up an African flavoured film.
    never seen either one.

based on the quality of the movie and the disc, anybody want to suggest one over the other?

2. Clinton McClure

Clinton McClure Casual Enthusiast

Clint
    Hatari! is a favorite of mine starring John Wayne and Red Buttons. It's a good all-around film. Never even heard of Born Free.

3. Danny_N

Danny_N Second Unit

Hatari all the way. Howard Hawks, John Wayne, the beautiful Elsa Martinelli, a memorable Henry Mancini soundtrack and very impressive and exciting action scenes shot on location on the African plains. What more could you want [​IMG]?
    It's been a while since I've seen the DVD but I remember it as having a very nice transfer [​IMG].

4. Thomas T

Thomas T Cinematographer

Both films are so different, Paul, it depends on what you're looking for. Hatari! is enjoyable nonsense with broad acting even though at over 2 1/2 hours the film teeters dangerously toward wearing out its welcome. Based on a true story, Born Free has more of an emotional and dramatic core, an Oscar winning John Barry score and if you're an animal lover, I'd suggest it over Hatari.

5. Blu

Blu Screenwriter

Hatari!!!

6. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    They are both fine films in their own right and as stated by another member, it depends on what you're looking for in a film as to which you should buy. Of the two films, Born Free is the more interesting one since it's based on a true story while Hatari also filmed on location is a fun film to watch, especially for John Wayne fans.

Crawdaddy

7. Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott Lead Actor

well, i guess that settles it [​IMG]

8. Robert Crawford

Robert
    How is it settled? Which film are you're going to buy and may I ask why?

9. george kaplan

george kaplan Executive Producer

I haven't seen Born Free for so long, that I can't remember it well enough to recommend it or not.

But Hatari is a great movie that it's definitely worth it.

10. Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott Lead Actor

i'm going to go out today and try to find a copy of Born Free.
    i've already got a copy of Hatari!, but it hasn't been opened and i'd been contemplating returning it to the store ( and ordering it from Columbia House instead).

so i expect i'll be getting both.

i'm not a big fan of Wayne (and i thought HH's Rio Bravo was ridiculous hokum) but i had read the safari sequences were good and i am a fan of Mancinis- although i can't recall the elephant walk.

i'm really looking forward to BF.
    last year or so i've been craving good family movies for some reason. its such a refreshing change of pace.

besides, i'm glad to see paramount with this new pricing structure for catalog titles like this.
    $15 is my magic # for a blind purchase, and i can find both of these for that much locally.

- so are there any other safari, African, jungle themed films out there i should know about?

11. george kaplan

Well me either. I think I only like 3 of his films, but Hatari is one of them.

12. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

As has already been said, these are two very different films. Personally, I find Born Free to be the more interesting film of the two (and I happen to like John Wayne). I picked up the DVD this week, but have not watched it yet.

13. Thomas T

Thomas T Cinematographer

Hawks' Rio Bravo is a superior film in every way to Hatari! so if you found it "ridiculous hokum", then you've made the right choice with Born Free.

If you enjoy Born Free, then you might want to check out Gorillas In The Mist with Sigourney Weaver, an excellent similarly themed film. The original B&W 1937 jungle adventure King Solomon's Mines is good fun and available on DVD also.

14. Randy A Salas

Randy A Salas Screenwriter

15. Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls Lead Actor

Dennis
    Fluffy Pumpkin here with a review of Born Free.

[​IMG]

Born Free.

Columbia Pictures and Carl Foreman present
    A film produced by Sam Jaffe and Paul Radin
    Directed by James Hill
    Staring Virginia McKenna as Joy Adamson
    And Bill Travers as George Adamson
    Music by John Barry

Oscar wins Best Score and Best Song
    Golden Globe nominations Best Picture and Best Actress (Virginia McKenna)

Well this is my kind of film. The kitties are the stars and the humans merely act in supporting roles.

Born Free is the true story of Elsa the lioness being reared by Joy and George Adamson. George was out one day in Kenya looking for a man-eating male lion. He found him and had to blast him, but also had to blast his mate who came to his aid. George sadly realized that the mate was really protecting three little cubs. Feeling properly guilty, he brought the three cubs back to his mate, Joy.

Joy and George spend many hours trying to figure out how to feed these poor little guys. Finally on the 17th formula they realize that they need Joy’s fingers in the loop.

The three cubs, the runt being named Elsa, basically take over the Adamson’s home, which of course is the proper role for kitties. I certainly approve of their attitude. But they grow to be too big, and the humans decide to ship them off to a European zoo. Fortunately the humans have enough guilt that they keep Elsa around. Wow.

So Joy has to educate Elsa in how to behave as a lioness in Kenya. That means chowing down on the local species and socializing with the males. (Being a male kitty I don’t see what was so hard about that.)

After many false starts, Elsa…….well that’s a spoiler. This is real three-hankie film. I suggest it as a good date movie.

Video

This is a Columbia release, so it’s no great surprise that it looks darned good. This is a DVD-9 with an anamorphic 2.35:1 copy on one layer, and a pan and scan copy on the other layer. The transfer is excellent. The liner says “remastered in high definition”, which I presume means they did a new telecine. The actual print had lots of dirt at the beginning in the credits, but got cleaner later on. With my human’s video processor and CRT projector, the picture looked darned nice. As is typical, the fact that most of the film is shot outside in strong natural light makes for great detail. In the natural light the colors appear correct. I was able to compare Elsa’s tawny coat color with my own, and the match is very good indeed. The black levels are hard to comment on as there aren’t many such scenes. There’s one early on that appears odd but I think that it’s a day-shot-for-night scene. Overall: you won’t be disappointed.

Audio

This is a clear mono release. The liner notes aren’t very clear about this but when you switch to surround in my human’s receiver all the sound comes out of the center channel. Better to put the receiver in stereo mode.

Extras

Not much here. Lots of subtitles: English, French, Korean, Spanish, Japanese. A few trailers for Living Free etc.

Summary

Meow. What a babe Elsa is. She’s just my type. I’ll keep biting my human until he plays this DVD over and over again. My rating: 3 and a half paws.

Yours truly,

[​IMG]

Fluffy Pumpkin Nicholls

16. Robert Crawford

Robert

At this time, that's not always true! Case in point is the following recent dvd releases that are subpar in the video transfer department.
    • The Awful Truth
    • You Can't Take It With You
    • The Talk Of The Town

17. Dennis Nicholls

Dennis

18. Robert Crawford

Robert
    Dennis,
    Actually, I think "Out of Africa" is one of the most overrated Oscar winning films of the 1980s.

Crawdaddy

19. Dennis Nicholls

Dennis
    Well, Robert, it appeals to my romantic nature. Basically films that talk about "the good old days" appeal to me. Kenya is no longer as shown: there have been too many human tragedies in east Africa and there has been a profound loss of animal life and habitat. Plus as I said I have a vested interest in the name of Redford's character.

Not to start an off-topic debate, but of the best picture winners of the 1980s I've seen I like OOA best, followed by Gandi and Chariots of Fire. I'm not into the genres of Kramer vs. Kramer or Ordinary People as much, and Platoon is my least favorite Vietnam film.

20. george kaplan

Well I think this is the very point. I think Rio Bravo is ridiculous hokum and an inferior film to Hatari in every way, so it appears that those of us who don't like Rio Bravo may like Hatari, which means Paul should definitely check it out. The very things Thomas thinks makes Hatari inferior, are the things that will probably appeal to Paul.