What's new

Boris Karloff and Randolph Scott Sets from Mill Creek (1 Viewer)

RBailey

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Hall
In September, Mill Creek will be releasing standard DVD sets of 6 Boris Karloff and 6 Randolph Scott features as part of their Sony deal.

The Karloff set will include THE BLACK ROOM, THE MAN THEY COULD NOT HANG, THE MAN WITH NINE LIVES, BEFORE I HANG, THE DEVIL COMMANDS and THE BOOGIE MAN WILL GET YOU.

The Scott set will feature A LAWLESS STREET, THE TALL T, DECISION AT SUNDOWN, BUCHANAN RIDES ALONE, RIDE LONESOME and COMANCHE STATION.

Of course, all of these have been released before. Maybe someday, Sony will release the Scott films on blu.

Mill Creek will also be releasing the 1935 CRIME AND PUNISHMENT with Peter Lorre as a 80th Anniversary DVD and THE CREATURE WITH THE ATOM BRAIN as a 60th Anniversary release.

POSTCARDS FROM THE EDGE and SPACED INVADERS will be 25th Anniversary releases.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
RBailey said:
Mill Creek will also be releasing the 1935 CRIME AND PUNISHMENT with Peter Lorre as a 80th Anniversary DVD

Well finally. This has never been released on a R1 DVD and Sony inexplicably failed to even provide an MOD release for the film. Congrats to Mill Creek.

borisfw

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
Awesome . I've been waiting for Crime and Punishment . Good to have a new Lorre coming out .

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Frankly, when I saw the Mill Creek name, it made me a bit nervous as they are notorious for cramming their DVD's beyond capacity, which tends to lead to some serious artifacting/pixelation issues! However, neither of the sets appear to exceed the 240 minute per Dual Layer DVD capacity on any of the 4 Discs, though it does come a bit close on the Randolph Scott DVD's!

Hopefully, these prove to be quality DVD Releases! If so, I might spring for the Boris Karloff set, at some point!

CHEERS! :)

Bob Gu

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob Gudera
THE RANDOPLH SCOTT ROUND-UP is low priced enough to get it for the Scott case art, vs. that of the Budd B. collection.

I hope there is another Sony/Mill Creek Scott collection with the never released GUNFIGHTERS and THE NEVADAN, which was the only Columbia Scott released as a DVD-R.

Vic Pardo

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian Camp
Yeah, I wish they'd release Scott's lower-end Columbia releases. I like a lot of those.

I recently picked up a low-cost edition of a Warner Bros 4 Favorites collection of Scott westerns, 3 of his low-end Warners titles (COLT .45, FORT WORTH, TALL MAN RIDING) plus his last film, a prestige MGM production, Peckinpah's RIDE THE HIGH COUNTRY, which I did not have on DVD. I've seen all of them, but FORT WORTH and TALL MAN RIDING only on TV a long time ago and remember liking them. I generally like all of Scott's run-of-the-mill westerns. I'd buy sets with any of them just as long as there were four or more in the set and I didn't have them already. I'm thinking things like CARSON CITY, THE STRANGER WORE A GUN, TEN WANTED MEN, etc. And at Columbia, titles like HANGMAN'S KNOT, MAN IN THE SADDLE, DOOLINS OF OKLAHOMA, FIGHTING MAN OF THE PLAINS and CANADIAN PACIFIC. The latter is a great train western.

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Vic Pardo said:
Yeah, I wish they'd release Scott's lower-end Columbia releases. I like a lot of those.

I recently picked up a low-cost edition of a Warner Bros 4 Favorites collection of Scott westerns, 3 of his low-end Warners titles (COLT .45, FORT WORTH, TALL MAN RIDING) plus his last film, a prestige MGM production, Peckinpah's RIDE THE HIGH COUNTRY, which I did not have on DVD. I like the Scott run-of-the-mill westerns. I'd buy sets with any of them just as long as there were four or more in the set and I didn't have them already. I'm thinking things like CARSON CITY, THE STRANGER WORE A GUN, TEN WANTED MEN, etc. And at Columbia, titles like HANGMAN'S KNOT, MAN IN THE SADDLE, DOOLINS OF OKLAHOMA, FIGHTING MAN OF THE PLAINS and CANADIAN PACIFIC.

I agree. I have several of the earlier Scott westerns, and so was very excited when the Budd B. collection came out based on reputation alone. But sadly I didn't enjoy the later "troubled-man" westerns Scott did. I guess I just prefer the older but simpler good guy/bad guy westerns over the more shaded gray area characterizations in the later 60's westerns.

howard1908

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
howard hughes
This is actually good news for me since I've been wanted these particular Scott films for a long time but could not get them because the Budd boetticher set has Ben out of print for some time.

Craig Beam

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CraB
I'll be interested to see if Mill Creek will bother to do actual menus, instead of the freeware DVD authoring software bullshit Sony gave us on the earlier Karloff set.

Capture.JPG

Yes, I know, it's the films that matter. But shit, a little effort would be nice.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
The generic Film Reel does, in my opinion, reek of a Home Made Video effort! It surprises me to see Sony go so chintzy on their Menus.

I see Mill Creek simply duplicating Sony's previous effort, though they could surprise us!

CHEERS! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks