What's new

Bored to Death - season 1 (1 Viewer)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Anyone watching "Bored to Death", a comedy featuring Jason Schwartzman, Zach Galifinakis, and Ted Danson?

The first episode was sort of dreadful, but it's been gaining comedic momentum episode by episode.

It's about a writer who is a part-time private investigator, somewhat an inept PI, but lots of hi-jinks ensue from the different cases he finds himself involved in per episode.

Ted Danson is doing some good work, and it good to see him in a comedic role where he's actually part of the small emsemble (though he does do "Curb Your Enthusiasm", it's more of a quick few scenes at best on that show). Zach is also funny in a weird way (his trademark brand of humor), though neurotic, not oppressively so.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I'm digging it. I think I like it because there's nothing like it on TV. It's not laugh out loud funny but I find Jason Schwartzman's character to quirky and likable enough that I always watch it after Curb airs. Ted Danson seems to be having alot of fun playing his character.

I'd say that me and you are the ones who watch it but I'm pretty sure that I read that it's already been renewed.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
I hope they are watching because I think this might just be my favorite new show of the season. It has become a great ensemble comedy, the stories inventive and the comedy very wry and in many cases I find myself laughing out loud. Danson is stealing the show of course but he rounds out a fine case. I had enjoyed Hung, which was also renewed, but if you pardon the pun it petered out toward the end of the run, i don't think the writers knew where they were going with it. If only HBO comedies ran more than 8 shows.

questrider

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian
I love this show. Danson and Galifinakis are scene stealers. And Schwartzman has always been a favorite of mine since "Rushmore".

Jeremiah

Screenwriter
This show is very funny, just ridiculous at times. When Danson and Galifinakis were smoking out in the car and TD wants to call his daughter using that voice device was to damn funny. Also, TD drawing of Galifinakis was funny.

"I'm a robot........that's stoned thinking, it will scare the shit out of her."

twotonshoes

Auditioning
Real Name
Yael
Funny funny show!! yeah it is ridiculous, but so is Suzie Cocktail on youtube. And I can watch that whenever I want!! She is completely bonkers tho. Look how she acts towards her parents...

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Won't start a separate thread for the second season of Bored to Death, as there may not be a lot of interest.

Don't find it laugh out loud funny, but it's very entertaining and witty. It does have a quirky feel to it. My favourite episode from the first season was when George (Ted Danson) joined Jonathan and Ray on a case. This season so far has had some far from dull cases, but my favourite so far is episode 2, with Oliver Platt's character returning. The way how it ended was like a British comedy farce.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Kinda sad about this. What other show has a character say, "This place smells like jizz and fur"? To tell the truth, I didn't think there would be a second season, much less a third one. That doesn't make it any better, though. I thought Hung would be back for sure. I don't understand how Enlightened managed another season. At least we know that the gang is happy. Jonathan with his hot half-sister, Ray with his granny-love, and George with Mary Steenburgen.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
So I'm guessing moving the show to an island on Monday night didn't help its ratings? Out of the three shows that HBO canned yesterday, this is the only one that I'll miss but at least they had 3 years and like Josh, I'm surprised that they even got 2 seasons let alone 3.

Joe_H

Screenwriter
TravisR said:
So I'm guessing moving the show to an island on Monday night didn't help its ratings? Out of the three shows that HBO canned yesterday, this is the only one that I'll miss but at least they had 3 years and like Josh, I'm surprised that they even got 2 seasons let alone 3.
Yeah, even the people I know who watched season 1 don't really watch any more. I really liked it, but I obviously realize it's a limited audience as well.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Finished watching the second season of Bored to Death this week. Gutted that it's been cancelled. When I read the news...shocked. A quirky, funny (in the ha-ha sense, but not LOL funny) and feelgood series.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks