What's new

Bored at work.... (1 Viewer)

Wendy_L

Supporting Actor
I have a job that does not keep me very busy at times. I usually fill up my time posting on message boards and emailing friends. Which is all well and good but sometimes I get bored doing that and wish I could play a game. I used to be able to play games on Yahoo! and such but they finally firewalled those sites about 9 months ago.

So, I have a question for anyone that knows. Could I go home and email myself the .exe file for, let's say, a solitaire game on my PC to an outside email account (I can check my yahoo at work), save it to my C: drive and then be able to load it on this PC so I could play a game every now and then?

Anyone know about this type of stuff or have other suggestions?

Scott McGillivray

Supporting Actor
Hi Wendy,

I would not suggest trying to sneak anything onto your computer at work. I am a network administrator and I know many ways to catch people doing that.

I would suggest something like a Sony PSP so you could play games and watch movies. Not a cheap solution, but it has a great display and is small enough to hide when necessary!

Of course, you could just become a posting-maniac here.

We too feel alone.

Hunter P

Screenwriter
Some of those IT nazi's (j/k) like to block .exe files from downloading off the net or attached to an email. I suggest you smuggle the file on a CD.

Or you can be real naughty and rename the .exe file to end with .doc, email it to yourself, and then rename it again. Its basically the Trojan Horse concept that those network admins love.

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member

What!?!? Even here in After Hours!?!? C'mon.. the silica thread alone is worth a day of entertainment.

What line of work do you do, Wendy? If I may be so nosey.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
there's also lots of internet sites that will host your stuff for free.

man, scott's about to kill all of us....

Paul_Fisher

Screenwriter
You can VNC to your computer at home and play Yahoo games from there. I'm not sure how well it would work though.

Scott McGillivray

Supporting Actor
I shall stop ALL of you from having ANY fun at work!

Bwahahahahaha!!!

I shall employ the powers of DeepFreeze, SMS, Group Policies, and firewall log trackers to ensure you Luddite SOB's are held to nothing but boring office programs!

All power to the System Administrator!

DustinLC

Supporting Actor
Well, if you can get away with playing games, why don't you balance your check book, read a book, paint, bring some weights and work out, and how about raising a lizard in your drawers?

GordonL

Supporting Actor
USB flash drives are dirt cheap and easy to carry. Useful for carrying files between home and work. :)

ChrisHeflen

Supporting Actor
Oh my gosh I am im the same boat. I sit here at work just trying to stay awake. I surf for like 5-6 hours a day.
On a postive note I have been able to research home theater equip. But it's still hard trying to stay awake.

I have been playing two games which I got from here actually.

Stong Hold 2
http://www.2kgames.com/stronghold2/

(click on mini game) and then
Land of the Dead.
http://www.landofthedeadmovie.net/ht...game/play.html

These should help you pass about 8 minutes of your day.
I also go to apple movie trailers and stay current on the latest movies coming out.
stupidvideos.com and big-boys.com are other good resources to kill another 39 minutes.

Keith Mickunas

Senior HTF Member
Go to pogo.com and register for their games, then play them via the browser. Check out other sites like that. I'm sure you can find some decent online games that'll help pass the time. Plus with it in the browser it should be easier to hide if the need arises, and can be played on any PC with net access. Of course, if the evil sys admins block those sites...

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Wendy,
you know me pretty well by now, you know that I would give my right eye to keep you company while you work, and if I could somehow switch and work night's and have off during the day I would do that in a heartbeat. :emoji_thumbsup: ;)

Your request sort of reminds me of something Peter said to the hypnotherapist in Office Space...

"Isn't there a way that you could, like, just zonk me out, so that I don't know that i'm at work? Couldn't I come home and think that i've been fishing all day, or something?"

:D

Damn work sucks sometimes. :frowning:

Seth--L

Screenwriter
How about reading a book?

My local NPR station (WHYY) has an excellent weekday program lineup. So on days with a lot of downtime I listen to it. They have a killer three hour block starting @ 1:00 with "Day to Day," then "Talk of the Nation," and finally "Fresh Air."

Graham Perks

Second Unit
Try a puzzle compendium - crosswords, sudoku and so on. Read the newspaper.

With an iPod try audiobooks (audible.com) and podcasts (plenty to choose from via iTunes which you can download free from www.apple.com/itunes). Actually you don't even need an iPod for those, just your Mac or PC. iTunes is a great way to access audio content.

Try creating your own content - write, record a podcast; or study for qualifications.

Since you're on HTF, get a portable DVD player.

Micah Cohen

Screenwriter
Games to play online:

POOM!

Insaniquarium

These games (and the others at these sites) are idiotically addicting, and played on the browser so you don't have to download anything.

I'm an old hand at being bored at work. Now I work for myself, and I'm still bored. I'm going to have to reprimand myself. This will go into my file, I'm sure.

MC

Jon_Gregory

Stunt Coordinator
I am in the same boat for now. I have had a job for about 1 year now that I may do 15 minutes of actual work in a day. And what's worse is that it is yours and my tax dollars paying my salary. I work in civil service. There are even some days that I do absolutely nothing work related. I get paid pretty darn good to sit around to. But this gets to me and I am starting a new job August 22 in the private sector where I will actually be doing what I wanted to do with my degree and get to put my hands on something other than a keyboard. I will get actualy get paid less to do more work, but these long boring days can make a person go insane, so it will be worth it to actually use my skills for once.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks