What's new

Borders stores dropping media (CD and DVD) (1 Viewer)

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
While in my local B&N yesterday, I decided to check out the media area. CDs have been cut WAY WAY back (three of the fixtures now carry BD and budget DVD titles) and the regular stock of titles has been really thinned out. As noted, DVDs have been greatly expanded.

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Another good B&M media source of CDs and DVDs bites the dust (except for 3 stores) ...

Two More Virgin Megastores To Close

And, sure, Virgin Megastore was also retail price expensive, but savvy shoppers there NEVER bought anything not on sale. Personally, I always scored great double CD import compilations there for $10. And the $10 sale DVD racks always had something tasty because the store always featured much deeper catalog items than other B&M stores.

I live near one of the three remaining stores, so I expect more bargains and clearances as they dump inventory in expectation of joining the New York and San Francisco stores in extinction.

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
How sad about Virgin...I worked at the Denver Pavilions store back around 1999 or 2000 (it was whatever year "Blair Witch Project" came out on DVD since we had an employee Halloween party in-store to watch it!) It was the BEST part-time job I ever had. I got exposed to SO much new music (through in-store play and the free CDs to take home), and built up QUITE the selection of imports because of them. Because I was so big on European pop music I got hooked on the UK version of "Now That's What I Call Music" which exposed me (and, in turn, many of my friends) to artists like The Corrs, Texas, Robbie Williams, Stereophonics, Daniel Bedingfield, Jem and a TON more...almost always before they were known in the US.

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne

The last time I went to Europe in the 90s, I spent a good portion of the trip in music stores stocking up on imports. So I was ecstatic when a Virgin move into town and I could routinely find import releases of both albums and singles. Import compilations, for whatever reason, didn't have the same legal issues getting clearances as domestics did, and you could find great compilations, as you mentioned. Armed with a local Virgin store and "Q" magazine, the world was your local B&M back yard.

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Borders media (CDs and DVDs) are now discounted 50% at all stores that are phasing out media.

Those prices are good through April 20.

No whining about THAT not being a bargain. Prices are now below most best offers online.

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
Wow!

How does one find out which stores are phasing out media?

I certainly hope that this doesn't mean Borders is in trouble. I don't consider Borders and B&N to even be comparable. I'm almost always let down in B&Ns while I can spend hours in a Borders.

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne

If you are a Borders Rewards member, you should be getting an email notifying you of the clearance at your local store. If not, just check with your local Borders. Of the five in my area, three are clearing out media and offering the 50% discount. Anything left after April 20 will go to the few stores still carrying media.

I agree with you on B&N vs. Borders, but I have a feeling Borders is still in trouble. I may have to check out B&N rewards program to see if they offer the same type of discounts on retail (30-40%) that kept me shopping and, gratefully, being able to browse deeper catalog in a brick and mortar store such as Borders.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

FWIW, I just got an email today saying that my local store has just gone up to the 40% threshold. No 50% here yet. :frowning:

Can I whine about THAT?!? ;)

:D

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne

That's whine-able.

Patience.

I don't know why my local stores skipped straight from 30% to 50% off, but I'm not complaining. I scored three primo Blu-rays for $50 total (Bonnie and Clyde, Sixth Sense, Into the Wild). Miles Davis Kind of Blue re-mastered CD for $6. I'll be back for more.

MielR

Advanced Member
Real Name
MielR
I just got an email telling me about an 'in store' 30%-off clearance of CDs and DVDs (of 'selected titles' ?? Not sure what that means exactly...)

I was hoping the Borders near me would keep the discs, but my state is not mentioned in the 'excluded' list.

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne

Wait a few weeks and it will jump to 50% off CDs and DVDs if your store follows the same pattern as the stores in my area. At some point all remaining media will that isn't sold in these clearances will go to the few stores that will still be carrying media. My stores 50% off sales extends to April 20th, but I don't know what happens after that.

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
I got this email as well. I visited the local Borders and the 30% is on DVDs marked with red tape. It wasn't a very big selection of DVDs that were on sale here. I didn't see any CDs at all marked down.

Chris Lockwood

Senior HTF Member

That headline is pretty misleading- the article just says they are *considering* offering a streaming-only service in addition to what they currently offer.

There are so many titles they can't stream, and so many customers who either don't have a fast enough connection or don't want a streaming-only service, that it would be suicidal for them to "dump DVDs".

I really don't get why Borders is dropping discs- are they just going to use that space for more books (as if they don't already stock enough books)?

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I would assume it's either because DVDs are not selling at the MSRP or when they do sell, it's to people using a coupon or buying a discounted new release (so the profit is small or non-existant).

I don't buy lots of DVDs at Borders but it's been years and years since I bought DVD there without a coupon or a sale.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.