Borders Now Carrying Super Audio Discs!

Discussion in 'Music' started by Lee Scoggins, Jul 13, 2004.

1. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee
    Good news! Borders, one of the last holdouts, has begun carrying SACDs in many of their metropolitan stores.

While in Atlanta today I saw today almost a full bin of SACDs separate from the main inventory which is easier to hunt with. They had a good selection of Mofis, Harmonia Mundis, all the good Universal titles, Naxos, Channel Classics, Vanguard, Telarc, Fantasy and Sonys. I was surprised to see as many newer titles as Tower has.

The manager said they are getting more interest from jazz and classical buyers.

[​IMG]

2. Justin Lane

Justin Lane Cinematographer

One of the Borders around my way has had a DVD-A section for a couple years. Mixed in this section I can usually find some SA-CD. The other Borders has SA-CD usually mixed in with the regular CDs. Though they carry selctions from quite a few labels, the overall offering is quite small when compared to Best Buy (which has a pretty small selection in its own right).

I was also just in one of the Philadelphia Borders. They have zero SA-CD outside of the single inventory releases.

Conclusion: Each Borders is handling Hi-res in its own way, and being a metropolitan store has no bearing on their Hi-res offerings.

J

3. Phil A

Phil A Producer

Phil
    Some reported SACDs in Borders over 6 mos. ago on Audio Asylum. I have not gone recently but went to see it after reading the post and as Justin indicated each store is different. They had nothing when I visited the one close to where I live.

4. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee
    Hmmmm...many current titles have been in the bins recently.

I think each store is different with probably more metropolitan stores carrying more inventory.

This is real progress for Borders though.

5. Phil A

Phil A Producer

Phil
    I'll have to check it out again. It is not far from me and on the way to the gym. When I went you could find stuff like the Stones or Dylan but no DVD-As or other SACDs. They had no separate section for hi-rez and not a single hi-rez disc for sure in the jazz or classical sections.

6. Michael St. Clair

I will check my local location this weekend. Best Buy selection is declining so this would help me out, my Borders is just across the street from Best Buy.

7. Darryl

Darryl Stunt Coordinator

I've been purchasing SACD and DVD-A from Borders for at least 18 months now, probably more like 2 years or more. They've had a small dedicated hi-res bin for at least a year here in Albuquerque.

I bought from Borders because they used to offer $40 gift certificates for $20 through Discover Card's cash back bonus program, plus you can usually get another 20% off on top of that. Their prices are higher than other sources, but after all the discounts you could get a $21 disc for $8.50. Unfortunately they dropped the $40 gift certificate down to $25, which means those $21 discs cost me $13.50 now, about the same as buying them from Best Buy but with extra hassle - no longer worth it.

8. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee

That's good news Darryl. Thanks for sharing. I'm glad New Mexico Borders have been in Super Audio for a while. Up until about 2 months ago they had absolutely nothing here.

Best Buy is cheaper before promotions. My Allman Brothers disc was $18.99. Ouch!

9. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    Lee, it were $14.99 at Busted Buy... 2 fresh copies for every store!

10. GlennH

GlennH Cinematographer

Glenn
    I bought the Alison Krauss + Union Station Live SACD at the Borders in Monroeville PA over 9 months ago.

11. John Kotches

John Kotches Cinematographer

I bought several titles at Borders in the Chicago area in 2001, so I'm just curious why buying them at Borders in 2004 is such a big deal.

Regards,

12. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee
    So negative. [​IMG]

13. John Kotches

Lee,

What's negative about the fact that I was buying SA-CDs 3 years ago at Borders other than your interpretation.

You have problems with my buying SA-CDs in 2001?

14. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee
    I have problems with you always being so negative and critical about my postings. It simply does not add value to the discussion.

The news is that Borders has expanded the number of locations offering hirez substantially and the depth of inventory in Super Audio. Chicago was an outlier in terms of offering SACDs so long ago.

15. John Kotches

Lee,

Well then perhaps you need to examine yourself.

If you consider facts about purchases I've made to be negative, that's your problem, it certainly isn't mine.

16. Brian L

Brian L Cinematographer

Which location?

I am close to Wyoming/Academy, and this afternoon, I went in looking to use my 20 percent off coupon on the ABB "Eat a Peach". Not only did they not have it, when I asked the gal if they mix their SACD with standard CD, she said yes.

Then again, when I asked, she paused for a minute and gave me that "Deer in the Headlights" look, so its even money she had absolutely NFI what I was talking about.

BGL

17. Michael St. Clair

I checked my Borders this weekend....still no high-res to be found except for dylan/stones single-inventory. Stopped at Best Buy afterwards; their selection is still declining.

18. Darryl

Darryl Stunt Coordinator

The Winrock location has a small hi-res section. As you walk into the music section it's on the right wall, between the soundtrack CDs and the music DVD-Vs. They've got both DVD-A and SACD there, but it's not a great selection.

I visited the Wyoming Borders back when they first opened that branch. The employee I asked about hi-res just happened to be the store manager. She was very aware of both SACD and DVD-A, and had been debating about whether to mix them in with the CDs or pull them out to their own section. They were mixed in with the CDs at the time, and I recommended separating them out. I've never been back to see if they separated them or not.

19. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee
    At the Tower in Philly they had both a deep hirez section and a lot of SACDs interspersed with normal Red Books.

20. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    Lee, what are normal Redbooks? I've never heard normal music or the Normals.[​IMG]