BORDERS and widescreen releases!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Bob Black, Nov 21, 2002.

1. Bob Black

Bob Black Stunt Coordinator

I went to Borders in Concord, New Hampshire on Tuesday to pick up the new releases (I keep shopping there with my free gift cards redeemed through my Discover cash-back bonus rewards).

I found "Glengarry Glen Ross" and "Reign Of Fire" without a problem in the NEW RELEASE section. Then I picked up "Spirit - Stallion Of the Cimmarron" - I flipped it over and saw that it was the full-frame edition. So I scanned through the whole row of about 10 discs and found that they were ALL full-frame!

In disgust, I checked in the FAMILY FILMS section and found two more rows of the same film. Don't you know, the entire batch was full-frame!! No widescreen copies anywhere!

So I grabbed a kid working at the information counter and asked him if they had any widescreen versions of the film. He checked the computer and told me there should be 2 copies available - TWO!!!! He went in the back room and quickly emerged with the 2 copies in widescreen - they hadn't even been put on the shelf.

Anyway, I got the version I wanted. But I just wanted to share this story so everyone can see why sales of full-screen titles are often inflated by retailer practices. If Borders only orders 2 copied in widescreen, what the hell is Wal-Mart and K-Mart ordering?

2. Craig Cunningham

Craig Cunningham Stunt Coordinator

I often shop at Borders and have not noticed a bias towards full-frame. They seem to present both formats equally.

Maybe the person who orders stock for your local store doesn't fully understand the difference... or they could be overreacting to a few complaints from customers who don't understand the black bars.

This is one of the reasons I buy most of my titles online. I get exactly what I want without having to scavenge the local stores.

3. streeter

streeter Screenwriter

Michael
    Why would you go to Borders in the first place (aside from to see what Something Weird titles they carry, and oh yea... for the books)? They charge the full SRP or a lousy 10% off.

4. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

They were knocking at least $5 off of the retail price for a while, but I see they've crept back up lately. And I've noticed only Fool Screen copies of a few titles at one of their stores too.

5. Tom J. Davis

Tom J. Davis Second Unit

6. Matthew Todd

Matthew Todd Second Unit

Another reason is if you use a Discover card, you can take your cashback bonus and double it at Borders (effectively making everything 50% off)

7. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden Producer
    Reviewer

Kenneth McAlinden
    The Borders stores around here are typically competetive with the Best Buys price-wise, and have a broader selection. Excepting the week of release loss-leader prices, of course. Barnes & Noble, on the other hand charges full MSRP.

Regards,

8. Rob Gardiner

Rob Gardiner Cinematographer