Borders: 30%-Off any one item ($10 min purchase), Expires 9/24/06

Discussion in 'Bargains and Deals' started by Rhoq, Sep 18, 2006.

1. Rhoq

Rhoq Supporting Actor

http://www.visitborders.com/index.php?c=A

30%-Off any one item at Borders (Books, CDs, DVDs, etc)
    10%-Off on video games and electronics
    $10 minimum purchase required
    Expires on 9/24/06

Enjoy (I know I will, LOL).

After watching the recent Rodney Dangerfield special on Comedy Central, I've decided to pick-up the Rodney Dangerfield Ultimate Collection DVD box set. Borders' price is $44.99. With this coupon it will only cost me $31.49 (before tax). According to their website, the Borders two blocks from my office has the set in stock. Guess where I'm headed during my lunch hour [​IMG]

2. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

3. Rhoq

Rhoq Supporting Actor

Sure is. You've got to love it. Borders might not have the gretest prices in the world, but they always have one of these coupons making the rounds for 15%-30% at almost any given time. I wonder when they'll change the expiration date?

I always print multiple copies of the current coupon and keep them in my desk drawer, here at work. Especially with these 30%-Off deals, Borders becomes an affordable place to shop.

4. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

IT seems like they're moving the expiration date forward every few days. [​IMG]

When they've got a decent regular price on something the coupons are worth it. You can definitely find good deals. Otherwise, though, you can get screwed. You've GOT to be a good shopper with these.

As an example, Borders has the 1-disc new release of Brazil regularly priced at $29.99...but on a sale price of $19.99. Use the 30% off coupon on that title and you would end up paying $20.99. Go figure!

5. Joe-Frietze

Joe-Frietze Stunt Coordinator

Yep, I managed to snag the 4 season boxed set of Coupling a couple of weeks ago for $63. $100 - $30 (coupon) = $70 - $7 (10% off Borders Rewards personal shopping day) = $63. Cheapest online price is $74.

Oh, and the coupon expires on 9/27 now. And I've got another personal shopping day to use.

6. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

I'm really surprised they let you use BOTH the coupon and your personal shopping day 10% discount.

The coupon clearly states: May not be used with other coupons, sale pricing, or corporate, classroom, or other group discounts.

I would have thought their computer system would have said "nope".

7. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

Most of the Borders coupons that I've seen state that you can combine a coupon with the 10% Shopping Day (but that's the only one you can add in).

8. Joe-Frietze

I was surprised too. I even asked, because I didn't want to waste the "Personal Shopping Day", but this checker said that it counts above and beyond any other discounts or coupons. It might never work again, but it worked once.
    [​IMG]

9. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

Damn. That's good toknow. I've let a couple personal shopping days go by the wayside as I got pulled to the store by the coupon and didn't buy more than one item. I never even thought to ask if I could use the extra discount on top of the coupon! [​IMG]

[​IMG] Hmmmm. I've got a personal shopping day waiting to happen! [​IMG]

10. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

Do you guys get the 10% Shopping Days every month now too? I thought that you used to have to hit a certain amount spent but they either drastically lowered that minimum or they just give you one month now.

Either way, I'm taking off 10%. [​IMG]

11. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.
    i still have to spend 50 to get 10% off.

12. Bonnie*F

Bonnie*F Stunt Coordinator

I use the personal Shopping day as a self-propagating thing. I'll take my mother to Borders once a month or so as a gift/surprise and she buys a few of the discount shelf books (she's an avid reader even at 67) and I'll pickup a couple of documentary DVD's since everyone else in the area seem to think that no one is interested in purchasing *sniff* documentaries *sniff*. I'll use the personal day 10% discount and they let me use it for her purchases as well since I gave her one of the keychain cards. So between the two of us, yep $50 to $75 easy. And I get another personal shopping day that I'll use to take her book shopping in about 4-6 weeks. *grin*

Maybe not the greatest prices but CC and BB have massively inadequate documentary sections if they even have one - the newest BB that opened about 10 days ago does not even have such a section and when I brought it to someone's attention, I got the "yea, someone else mentioned that too. But you can order them on-line..." If I'm going to order on-line, I'm going to go to DDD, DVDEmpire and such, not BestBuy. And I am not going to pay the prices at the Discovery Store.

Sorry about the mini-rant....

13. Joe-Frietze

Yeah, we have to spend $50 each month to earn a shopping day, but it's within a month, not just in one purchase, so it works out ok. I think we have earned one every month this year. Damn, we buy too many books. [​IMG]
    Oh, and the coupon is now good until 10/4. Guess where I am probably headed tonight?

14. Jason_V

Jason_V Producer

Jason
    I was happy with myself on Saturday. Decided to finally get To Kill a Mockingbird. BB price was $19.99, Borders $29.99. But with the 30% off, Borders actually came in at $20 and change while BB would have been $21 something with tax. Yes, it's not a huge savings, but I felt good about beating "the man". [​IMG]

Maybe I'll stop in tonight to see what they have...