What's new

Borders 30% off 1 item through 9/8...and beyond? (1 Viewer)

Joe-Frietze

Stunt Coordinator

Not only that, but 5% of your purchases from January through (October I think) are put into a Holiday fund. We just used ours yesterday and it came to $53.xx, so that gives you an idea of how much we spend at Borders each year. If only my wife had waited for next weekend and we would have had another shopping day for an extra 10% off on top of the 30% off coupon I used on the Evil Dead I & II Books of the Dead collection.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Thanks, Joe! I forgot about the holiday fund. I thought my family spent a lot at Borders! I think we've only got a holiday fund balance of about $12 or $15. I'm probably just using too many 30% coupons! :D

Rhoq

Supporting Actor

Same here. My holiday fund is $16.16

I've yet to use my personal shopping day (10% Off). Today I plan to print out a 30% Off coupon, use my personal shopping day and my holiday fund savings on the 14-Disc Superman: Ultimate Collection. ($99.99 - 40% - $16.16 = 43.83). After tax, I'll have the Superman set for $46.90!

Joe-Frietze

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah, Mike, it became like a challenge. Every time we went, we ended up spending enough to get another shopping day, and then every time we used the shopping day, we'd spend enough to earn another one. Vicious cycle. Believe me, I used every 30% coupon I could once it was pointed out, and before that it was the occasional coupons you would get at check out (25% off, Buy 2 get 1 free, etc.). And we would cut each other off sometimes saying, "Hey save that for next month to earn our next shopping day."

But, as my wife is fond of saying, there are worse habits than books, comics, and home theater, right?

Rhoq - just FYI, I don't think it will be exactly 40% off. In my experience, they have taken the 30% of the individual item, and then taken 10% off the order total. So it would be more like $99.99 - 30% = $69.99 - 10% = $62.99 - $16.16 = $46.83 + tax.

Later,
-Joe

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
12-4-2006!

I sometimes think about the size of my collection...do the math (even though I am a HUGE bargain shopper and buy most things on a major discount or used) and wonder, what am I doing? I also have space issues. And, with a backlog of books-to-read and titles-to-watch and time-to-read/watch-them at a premium, I have convinced myself to scale back my purchases until that is under control. Fortunately, I have a wonderful wife who understands all the time I devote to her and the kids and actually helps me rationalize about how much I would be spending if we engaged in pursuing other forms of entertainment (bars, gambling, concerts, etc).

Joe-Frietze

Stunt Coordinator
Well, we have no kids to take up any of our time and attention (so I'm not sure if that makes our expenditures more or less impressive - it's only shopping for two people, but there's more disposable income w/ no child care expenses), so we get to spend a little more time in these pursuits, but year, I've got season sets and individual discs from last X-Mas that I still haven't watched, not to mentions books/comics I haven't opened. But I have been tearing through several books this year, so that's something.

It's just that I find so many great bargains, it's painful to NOT buy them, because I know SOMEDAY I'll get to watch/read/play them. Retirement, I guess. :P

Clay_E

Second Unit
Looks like this coupon is finallly dead! It's now saying it expires 9/30/06...:frowning:

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

[Luke Skywalker]Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooo![/Luke Skywalker]

Too bad! I certainly got my money's worth out of it though.

RIP, coupon! :D

Rhoq

Supporting Actor

Same here. I had read a month or two ago that Border's was losing a lot of money and these 30% off coupons were supposedly partly to blame. Hopefully, us "Borders Rewards" members will still get the coupons in their e-mail.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks